Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

intake....legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intake....legal?

well i know that you can buy AEM intakes and it'll be legal at emissions i live in COLORADO ionno if that matters but thats my question say if i buy an intake off ebay that doesn't state whether its legal or not would i be fined or fail emissions because i have a no name intake? ..... and is a K & N filter really worth it? right now im running a cone filter off stock tubing but im thinking about getting a CAI . so gyeah
    Last edited by liquidx; 03-01-2006, 10:43 PM.

i really dont think any intake is illegal

Comment

Well AEM, Injen, and all those companies that make air intakes have a lil certification they give you so when you go to inspection it can be rated as legal. I know this applies in california. In Texas we can have air intake as when i have gone to get my car inspected no one has hassled me about the intake yet. Might want to check up with the locals and see what they say. Some people dont care some people do and some states its the law.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

As long as you don't live in CA and its not obsessively loud (not that an intake could be THAT loud) you won't have an issue, don't worry
        -Josh

1996 Accord EX Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I think that it all depends upon the inspection station you go to.

In theory any engine part/modificiation without an "EO" number is illegal for street use, but it really depends on the station of whether that'll ever be an issue for you.

Comment

never had any problems here....

My Old Ride Thread

Comment

The CARB stickers on AEM and Injen intakes only apply 2 california drivers. Since u live in colorado, you shouldn't have a problem with any brand of intake. And yes, getting a K&N filter is worth the $$$. Well personally, i dont trust generic filters.
              Raceline USA

Comment

legality of any part is determined by your local laws. In many states you have to read pretty careully. For example some states may have something that reads "no alteration of emissions related components," which could technically mean that just about ANY bolt on part could be determined to be illegal.

Comment

be careful!
                  i got pulled over for my intake once.
                  i was accelerating past a cop at a stoplight, he said i had a loud exhaust (totally stock no leaks)
                  i explained it was my intake he didn't believe it
                  i had to argue with him for 5 minutes telling him my exhaust is stock
                  The CB7 Timeline

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordexpower
                    be careful!
                    i got pulled over for my intake once.
                    i was accelerating past a cop at a stoplight, he said i had a loud exhaust (totally stock no leaks)
                    i explained it was my intake he didn't believe it
                    i had to argue with him for 5 minutes telling him my exhaust is stock
                    wow thats sad, i could see some cops doing that here all they do is bother people for stupid things, you can get a ticket for intake mods if anything isnt this better, get better gas milage burn less fuel u should get an award
                    My Ride17.34 @ 78mph with 260k on her

Comment

Originally posted by pretty_ricky302
                      i really dont think any intake is illegal
                      any intake without a name on it or certification is considered illegal. In CT i think TypeSbaby had to put AEM lettering on her intake for her to pass inspection, because un-labeled intakes were illegal.
                      Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

when i had my civic, i went in with a breather valve/filter on my valve cover (with I/H/E mods) and not a blink of an eye by the inspector...worse comes to worse, say you live out in elbert county or something...no smog requirements out there.

My Old Ride Thread

Comment

those bastards just dont know lol

Comment

I think most Air intake are certified and 50 state legal. Well im planning to buy a R&D Dragon Intake. I think those are legal....im pretty sure...=\
                            Current Car:
                            1991 Accord LX
                            Mods: STOCK!
                            Future Plans:
                            Better All Red Tailights (i messed the driver side up bad!)
                            15" Rims and tires
                            Drop its about 2"
                            Amber sidemarkers
                            Amber turn signals
                            Lip spoilers
                            etc.

Comment

CARB certification means that AEM or whatever company has paid to get certifications.

K&N filters are the best. Period.
                              They've been around since day 1...back in the good old days when MODing imports where K&N air filters, mufflers and CRAZY sound systems...*sigh* the good ol` days when everything was innocent...

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
                              1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

Working...
                              X