Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

1990 Accord Shifter to Prelude Shifter Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 Accord Shifter to Prelude Shifter Question

I might be going to a junkyard this weekend that has more cars than the place I go...and it might have Preludes so I figured I'd ask.

I searched a lot about the short shifter and I learned a lot. My question has nothing to do with any of this though. Its to do with my year specifically. According to a lot of sources...it seems the 1990 shifter was different than the 91-93 ones. Neuspeed doesn't sell adapters for the 1990 for example. i haven't really torn my console apart yet. My question lies in, does that mean since I have a 90, I can't adapt the Prelude shifter to work?

Just a question...

I keep forgetting that no one here has the 90 Accord...oh well

...I guess I'll have to be the first one to experiment...once a 92-96 finally comes into the local yard, I'll try...but until then thanks anyways...

Comment

No help on the shifter, but I have a '90...

You're not alone brother!

We can start our own subset of CB7Tuner, the 90's people. Everyone else will suck!

Ya man! We're are The Originals baby! 90 was the FIRST YEAR of the '7 man! Ya! Dig it!

Bart: What's your name?
      Jim: Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

Comment

Actually I have a '90 and I consulted Neuspeed about this and you are correct in that Neuspeed does not make one for the '90 Accord. I don't remember why but they don't. To answer your question though, you can install the lude shifter into the '90 accord the same way as what is stated on this site if you have done the hw that you state you have. I actually have the 4bidden shifter in my car and just used fizzbob7's way and flip flopped my shifter housing on the bottom instead of on top and it fits fine. Check out his DIY. It may help lower the OEM lude shifter as well from a looks standpoint.
        "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...10#post2119010

Comment

Hmmm I have a '90 Accord, and I'm also getting a '93 Lude shifter soon.....I don't exactly know the difference between '90 Accord shifter and '91-'93 tho......I always thought they were the same.....Can somebody fill me in on this?? If not, then I guess I also have to just try it on and experiment..Hehee

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

I don't remember what Neuspeed said as far as the difference and I don't even remember if it was in the shifter or the cable or what?! I wanna say it was the plastic housing and the short shifter rubbing on it but i dunno. You can always call Neuspeed and find out though. I have had nothing but excellent customer service whenever I had questions or even when I had to get my Neu. Koni shocks covered under warrenty. The prelude shifter install is an easy install though. Very straight forward. Took me a long time to do it the first time only because my friend and I kept playing with stuff and considering other things to do while we were doing the install. It would take all of 15 20 minutes now though and I bought nothing but the 4bidden shifter.
            Last edited by H23Accord; 08-10-2004, 10:57 PM.
            "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust

Comment

Thanks so much for that information. I was just looking at some of the mods on the site and a short shifter seemed like a good idea, but I remember hearing that the 90 was different so I had hoped someone on here knew what the differences were.

Comment

Yup SS is an excellent idea. I have the 4bidden one which has 3 levels of adjustment from stock to race and it feels great!

Comment

So let me get to the thinking level as you guys, WHY in the world would you switch over to a prelude shifter before you switched to a 91-93 accord shifter?
                  H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

I felt that if I'm going to change out the linkage anyways, I might as well get a better starting base (the prelude) than the accord (91-93). Plus if one comes into the local yard, my level of hookup at that place is insane. I like the idea of the 4bidden shifter, but I'm a little troubled by the cost. At this point that's money spent other places in the car. Maybe someday.

Comment

Prelude shifters and base plates are lower then accords and they feel pretty nice with a easy 5 min install

F/S:Pioneer Premier Deh-880prs w/ ipod adapter $220

Comment

k k so just to be clear...you don't exactly need the Prelude mounting base to install the Prelude shifter, do you? 'coz I just got myself a Prelude shifter from a junkyard, but I didn't grab the mounting base tho... Is it better to use the prelude mounting base? And it actually bolts on to our Accords??? 'coz if it is, I might just go back there on Monday and grab it..Hehe..

Ronald

Comment

No you don't HAVE to have the lude baseplate. You can flip flop the base plate with the shifter plate and just use different screws if I remember correctly. I did this with my 4bidden shifter thanks to fizzbob7...actually...here ya go:
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hifter+install

This is how I did it and it works the same for both the 4bidden shifter and the lude shifter. Heck it might even work for the OEM shifter!

Comment

H23Accord, thanks for the link...

Does anybody have any update on this whole Prelude shifter and mounting plate thingy yet??? Well, if not, then I'll be the first one to tell...Hehehe

ok ok, so I have a '90 Accord, and I grabbed a BB2 Prelude shifter AND the mounting plate from the junkyard.....As for the installing part....Well, first of all, I still don't know the difference between '90 Accord and '91-'93 Accord...But anyways...It seems that the mounting plate bolt pattern for the preludes are a tad tiny bigger than my car...So I kinda have to force the 4 bolts in a little bit.....Well, maybe not a little bit....But after a while of trying to force them in, they finally caved...

But anyways, after that, all I needed to do is adjust one of the shift linkage (The one on the driver side), and then....TA-DA!!! Done.. The stock Prelude shifter with the mounting plate does sit lower than the Accord shifter, and it feels crispier and has a shorter throw too!!! And on top of that, I did the whole cut and weld with the Lude shifter, so now it sits even lower......Can't wait to get those short shift adapter for the '92-'96 Prelude...Hehehe

In conclusion tho, I didn't really run into any problems fitting the Prelude shifter and mounting plate in my '90 Accord...Just make sure you have all the bolts and junks for the Prelude shifter and the plate, and you should be fine...Took me about 45 mins, just because those 4 bolts that bolts the plate on the chassis just wouldn't go in...But n e wayz...I give 10/10 for this mod... Oh and I'll post up pics later...

Ronald

Comment

i cant believe you guys are spending money on new shifters and mounting plates and such, when the diy short shifter(both the short throw mod and the short height mod) is just as good

simply put you only have to buy enough little scraps to make a piece that the cable can mount onto your stick higher, and then you have to have 3 bolts to mount the plate underneath it. the reason you need different bolts is because the stock ones were way short because they never intended on having this done to them.

i recomend anyone to try the diy first
                              92 lx
                              automatic
                              slow

but its clean!..kinda

Comment

Working...
                              X