Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Forced Induction Cam Selection (excess of 1bar)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced Induction Cam Selection (excess of 1bar)

so yeah.. the title pretty much says what im after.. whose running cams on their boosted engines?

i know a couple of you had delta 272s? but anyone do anything different? any dyno graphs? i tried searching but didnt really see what i want?

before/after power increases
    driveability (idle moreso)
    valvetrain upgrade? yes/no

also.. cam preference.. weither N/A or F/I cam

ive been part of alot of builds that made good power on N/A cams.. so thats why i ask here (no the builds weren F series.. or else i wouldnt be asking lol)

seen a LS-V gain 40whp and 25wtq from swapping out gsr cams to typeR cams with no changes in boost (22psi)

The Jist of the Build for those wondering

-F22a block
    -CP 9:1 hammers (stock bore)
    -B-C Forged Rods
    -arp goodness everywhere

-h23a head
    -mild pnp work
    -cams (the topic at hand) ?????
    -stock IM/TB
    -Cast EVO3 manifold with External WG flange
    -Turbosmart 38mm WG (for now)
    -3" Starion DP (Starion 8cm2 turbine housing)
    -jdm Starion 14b 12a turbo
    -16g turbine wheel
    -20g compressor wheel
    -18g greddy Compressor Housing
    -tdo5 center section
    -FIC 650CC Injectors (For now)
    -GM 3bar
    -Crome pro (Tuned by me)

16-18psi Daily / 20-25 Track/Drag

im undecided on weither or not to ship these bumpsticks to delta and get 272s from them. im hearing alot more and more people saying the regrind gives you too much of a peaky powerband.. i want something that has grunt everywhere for this build.. (gotta make the owner of this car happy)

help me out guys

thanks

Th3 Wikk3d 0n3

Praise The Lowered...

I would contact Crower or Web Cams for a good application to this build. Bisimoto is an option, but I am not 100% if he sells for the H23 motor. Either way, better than a Delta. I can attest based on my mild F22ax NA red project for the Delta 272 being on the peakier side with a 4K-7K torque band, that is also where you feel the power kick in. Below 4K is feels similar to stock or even a bit less and begs for an Hseries tranny to be mated to better things.
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
      I would contact Crower or Web Cams for a good application to this build. Bisimoto is an option, but I am not 100% if he sells for the H23 motor. Either way, better than a Delta. I can attest based on my mild F22ax NA red project for the Delta 272 being on the peakier side with a 4K-7K torque band, that is also where you feel the power kick in. Below 4K is feels similar to stock or even a bit less and begs for an Hseries tranny to be mated to better things.
      thats exactly what i want to avoid.. that barrier of no power.. i mean.. realistically thats exactly were the powerband would be on this build..

boost would build close to 3k.. and be at full boost around 4k (18psi or so) and it would be redlined around 7k.. but if i can aid in spoolup with a cam that makes power down low then i will..

how was the idle with ur 272? i know its a sohc but.. just trying to gather as much info as possible

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

crower does make a stage 2 forced induction cams for the h23. so maybe crower might be a way.

Hola, tengo tres patas. Me llamo tripod.

Originally posted by d112crzy
        So you're throwing a bitch fit because some other girl at school has the same nail polish and skirt as you do?

Comment

With my delta 260's I gained roughly 30 whp and 25 or something torque (Forgot the exact numbers on torque) on my stock block h23.

The only real variable was we gave it 1 lb more boost, but still a good gain.
          Turbo H23a3 build has begun
          01-01-2019

Comment

crower makes some good cams.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

stick with crower
              miss my turbo cb7
              moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Stock cams here (vtec tho)
                ive heard good things about the crower cams, i was gonna put those in my old engine

instagram @mikeymeyagi

Comment

See that's the response im looking for.. Thanks bjaccord.. I wanna see who had what increased and were in the powerband.. Bj any before and after dynos?? Were did the car gain the "meat" of its power.. And the 260s are pretty mild so.. They should have a nice idle.. Also.. Anyone thought of mismatching..? 272intake and 260 exhaust.. Or visa versa... I forgot which way it is.. I know b series guys do this a lot ..mixmatching itr and ctr cams..

I want the powerband to be 3-7k

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Originally posted by WiKKeDV16 View Post
                    See that's the response im looking for.. Thanks bjaccord.. I wanna see who had what increased and were in the powerband.. Bj any before and after dynos?? Were did the car gain the "meat" of its power.. And the 260s are pretty mild so.. They should have a nice idle.. Also.. Anyone thought of mismatching..? 272intake and 260 exhaust.. Or visa versa... I forgot which way it is.. I know b series guys do this a lot ..mixmatching itr and ctr cams..

Delta actually recomended that I mis match them, but I forget which one was which.

As for a powerband I don't have a way to host a pic, but this may give you an idea:
                    * 3.5k is 120whp/180tq
                    * 4k is 170whp/205tq
                    * 4.5k is 205whp/250tq
                    * 5k is 250whp/260tq
                    * 5.5k 275whp/262 tq
                    * 6k 292whp/250tq
                    * 7k 285whp/215tq

This is actually on my built motor @ 10psi, I can't find the dyno sheets from my stock h23, but this is still with the 260 cams in it.

If I come across my old dyno sheets I'll try and post up
                    Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                    01-01-2019

Comment

thats exactly what i want to avoid.. that barrier of no power.. i mean.. realistically thats exactly were the powerband would be on this build..

boost would build close to 3k.. and be at full boost around 4k (18psi or so) and it would be redlined around 7k.. but if i can aid in spoolup with a cam that makes power down low then i will..

how was the idle with ur 272? i know its a sohc but.. just trying to gather as much info as possible
                      1200 rpm idle at 18 deg BTDC ignition timing. It's fine for DD, a little lopey, not as bad as my white though. Reliable start up, idles well, brakes work fine, no stalls at all. I notice on humid warm days, idle will fluctuate a little more like 1000-1200 rpm, but other than that it idles steady 1200. Cam timing is set to 0 degrees.

Comment

so anybody know how the cams should be mixmatched?

272 in 260 exh... or 260 intake 272 exhaust.. id figured ud want more air in ? and let the turbine pull the rest out with a venturi effect? thus a milder cam? or no?

anyway thanks bj and cisco (mamao lol) .. i think i might just try out deltas.. just because i have the stocker just sitting here and it wouldnt cost me that much to experiement.. but i think i might try the mixmatch.. and see where that lands me..

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

If Bisimoto makes H23 cams, the stage 1 or 2 would fall in this powerband range, based off F22 applications. I'm sure his turbo cam would fall there as well, this is basically near stock powerband range. You need to research more with the companies.

Comment

yeah i know i do.. but at the same time.. not to knock his work.. but his a N/A guy? ya dig? not to take away from his turbo cams being good.. but.. id want that person/company to have hands on experience with boosted engines...we'll see thou.. ive been trying to get at him for a while about h23 cams

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

you'd be better off if you actualyl talked to someone who grinds camshafts. i would recommend you to superlobes here in the bay area howeveer when i last talked to him he doesnt do hondas anymore simply because there's way too many motors.

he grinds all of our domestic application cams. a custom cam(s) is probably cheaper and will yield more power than trying to mismatch delta cams or investing 600+ into bisimoto products.
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X