Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

whos running a DSM set up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
    Or stop using DSM parts and upgrade to a real manifold and a real turbo with a real wastegate. Costs more, but won't blow up your motor Until you up the boost enough anyways
    Yes, because all of those dsms running stock style turbos in the 10-11's are junk!

Oh wait, all dsms are junk by their very nature, haha.

I personally want a better mani, but Im broke at the moment. I might end up with one of the FP manifolds as well.
    2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
    2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

Originally posted by rvaldez0781 View Post
      Good info guys... but i like option 4, seems easiest. Would any chipped ecu have the powert to cut fuel and ignition... or are we talking about something along the lines of a hondata s300?
      I don't know about hondata, but I know that most standalones have this capability. Haltech, Motec, etc.
      2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
      2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

just read this whole thread alot of good info.

1. question... tuning... whats the best place to read up on tuning to learn how to do it yourself
        Last edited by blazenem; 05-26-2009, 09:34 PM.

Ride List
        1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
        2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
        newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

I love this site, and this thread. Just reading this thread i learned more then i did the whole last year in high school. Im currently getting ready for boost, thanks to you guys. lol. quaker joe is helpin me out with pieceing one together. Im gonna start out with the 14b. We figured hes got mostly everything i would need for a full kit. This is the thread ille be refering to as im sure i will have questions. Thanks shadow for this thread and to other that brought up the ?'s that i would of ended up trying to figure out.

My New Ride
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=82630

Comment

any time man. i wanted to boost at one point and i wanted know everything i needed to know about doing it with a DSM kit. i also made this thread MAINLY for the new people and some of the members, to know what to do, what parts to get, and tuning options

Comment

well, i believe you did good. But the 14b that quaker joe has for me, he thinks it might need a rebuild. How does that go? Could i rebuild it? or do i gotta send it to a shop?

My New Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Haccord21 View Post
                well, i believe you did good. But the 14b that quaker joe has for me, he thinks it might need a rebuild. How does that go? Could i rebuild it? or do i gotta send it to a shop?
                i dunno. im not one for rebuilt parts. id rather buy new or one that i know works. but thats just me. you can TRY to rebuild it if you want. you can gain that experience and then if you get another turbo that needs a rebuild, you can rebuild it yourself. or you can just buy the turbo i have sitting in my shed going to waste lol

Comment

haha, alright. Pmed you back. what turbo is it though? the 14b?

My New Ride

Comment

Originally posted by WiKKeDV16 View Post
                    Its funny william..because your idea is so dead on..as to what can be done on a budget to eliminate boost creep(extensive porting and the use of a external gate)..what kills me is that your using a turbonetics deltagate..which is INFAMOUS for boost creep..hell there called deathgates..look what happend to gdoutflip..20psi spike..says the little tell tell laptop with datalogging software..I now have said wastegate and opened it up to insect to see what was the failure..besides the fact that the valve doesn't recess entirely into the chamber (only recessed between 1/4 and 1/2) the spring seal that maintains boost in the chamber(seal that goes around the actual stem of the valve) goes bad on these things...so..my best advice..if you find yourself having to use the deathgate..use a weak spring..(3psi) and work your way up with a boost controller..that way..if it were to ever fail..it should open before too much/if any harm is done

I haven't looked in here for a while now. I've never heard of the "Deathgates" before, That's pretty interesting as it's made by a pretty respectable manufacture. Nothing is actually on yet, but I'm going to start rebuilding my block very VERY soon.

I've seen a lot of TIAL waste gates and people say they love them, no name e-bay brands I won't touch, but if I can I'd like to just use what I have unless for some reason it's obviously bad. I haven't looked at it for a while now. Whatever happens, my boost WILL be under control.
                    Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

some things I put together, that I forgot on my first setup...

with all the parts you can have it done in a weekend.
                      all depends on what you ned to do.

few learning experiences from my first build, for anyone planning boost:

1. needed to upgrade clutch:
                      by the time got boost in and tuned we burned the oem clutch up.
                      kinda sad cause i had to wait for a clutch to come in.

2. check motor mounts:
                      two of em mine were toast. lose power this way

3. Head Bolts for exhaust manifold:
                      you really want the stock stuff on there,
                      I had some 12mm normal, but it was a bad idea.

4. Takes some time to do the fuel pump:
                      I read someone cut a whole under the passenger seat on this forum somewhere.
                      Cant remember but gas tank sucks to drop.

5. Needed couplers for the charge piping:
                      Had to order, since no one around there has em. Also had to await charge piping.
                      Then drove to auburn to get piping welded. Since I was using 1st gen DSM BOV,
                      I needed reducer couplers also for the piping.
                      So think about BOV piping and maybe order something already fabbed up.

6. Turbo feed line was a pain:
                      should have went to stealthmode right away!
                      Plus had trouble getting the T connector on back on the block installed.
                      Is a lot easier to do with the engine already out.

7. 450cc DSM injectors:
                      Nothing needs to be dremeled ignore all the people that say so.

I took a month to do it. I wanted to go slow since it was my first build.
                      and I followed the turbo install instructions pretty much to a T.
                      Whenever a step got done I just crossed it out.
                      Very well thought out plans.

Anyways if anyone needs more info lemme know! If your gunna ask me questions tho, you better have done some research, cause knowledge aint free...or is it, especially on this site, you just gotta dig for it.
                      MadLab Racing
                      Southern Maryland

Comment

I am running a 234k mile stock block that all we did was put new rings in. Just got off the dyno and I am at just over 300 hp/tq. Running a Forced Performance DSM manifold and FP 50trim.

Comment

Originally posted by judonoh View Post
                          I am running a 234k mile stock block that all we did was put new rings in. Just got off the dyno and I am at just over 300 hp/tq. Running a Forced Performance DSM manifold and FP 50trim.
                          F22 setup? nice numbers man...whats your complete setup?
                          MadLab Racing
                          Southern Maryland

Comment

stock f22a w/ new rings and a graphit hg
                            rc injectors
                            msd
                            FP manifold
                            FP 50 trim
                            synapse wg/bov
                            dbl stack intake mani
                            s300 and misc items

Comment

any updates from the op??

Ride List
                              1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
                              2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
                              newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

do you have to eliminate your a/c for this build?

Comment

Working...
                                X