vibration between 68-80mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vibration between 68-80mph

I have had my car for about 13 years. It has always had this vibration. Rotate and balance tires alignment. Still there. It does seem to come and go from time to time.
    It didn't bother me too much before because I hadn't done a lot of work on the suspension.
    Well now that has changed. I have replaced everything I can think of and I still have the vibration. I will give you a list of what I have done to the car.
    Neuspeed sport and koni yellow. I did reuse the old stuff. It looked good to me. New lower BJ(moog), Upper control arms(moog) with ingalls anchor bolt kit.
    New strut bearings(the things in the front). I have fairly new tires. 5,000mi. New sway bar ends, Ex front sway bar. Vigor rear sway bar. TL calipers, vigor rotors. New inner and outer tie rods. Rack replaced about 2-3 years ago. Made no diff. I replaced the wheel bearing on the pass side. It was still there. So I went to the JY and got two more hub/bearings. Replaced the passenger side with one from the JY. No help.

I haven't replaced the engine mounts. Do you think this could be it? I have purposely driven around at the same RPM as the highway vibration in 4th gear and I get no vibration.

I am kind of at a loss of things to do. So anybody with any advice?

thanks

Steve

Maybe an obvious question, but how about rotationally balanced axles? Depending on what kind of vibration, it COULD be your motor mounts, but I want to say it has to do with axles..

Comment

I have changed both axles. More than once. Didn't seem to help.

Sorry I forgot to mention that.

I have thought about raxle. As a next step. However, before spending another 400 I want to make sure I haven't missed something.

steve

Comment

Does it only vibrate at certain rpm's, or is it only at certain speeds? It wouldn't hurt to replace your motor mounts, seeing as they are relatively cheap.

Comment

Speed seems to be the common factor to me.

When I did my swap. I looked at the mounts and they looked OK.

steve

Comment

Have you looked at your suspension components? I am sorry I am not much help to you, I am having to stretch my brain because you have already check all the obvious areas.

Comment

No problem. I think everything looks good. I have had the alignment done 2 months ago and the tires balanced 3 weeks ago. Neither of the shops said anything looked odd.

I am at a loss too.

steve

Comment

Intermediate shaft? I had a similar vibration as well. Mine the first time was a bad CV axle. I am just throwing out ideas here.
                The CB7 Collector.
                Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                92 LX Coupe F22A1
                2013 Toyota Corolla S
                92 EX Sedan F22A1
                Originally posted by deevergote
                Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

I used to vibrate at 68 to 70 mine is getting worse. My vibration can also be limited by being in a lower gear, I don't have the answer obviously but see how mine and maybe yours could be engine mounts. I have been pondering that all day, if the junk yard has any on Sunday ill let you know. The rear one is tough they didn't have any 5 speeds on Tuesday.I hope if you fix yours you post your final solution.
                  ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Mine turned out to be the tires. I took them back and they said the front was off by about .75oz
                    I do still have a slight vibration and I have the mounts to replace them. just taking a break from all the car work right now.

steve

Comment

Well I still have this vibration.

Things done

New motor, new tranny, new mounts, new axles new front energy suspension kit.

Getting new tires on Wed from a different shop. I have always got them from Sam's but I am beginning to think they may be part of the problem. Last time I took it back it was better but still not perfect.

The only thing I haven't replaced it the intermediate shaft. So far that is the only consistant thing through my two motors and trannys.

To sum it Up.

Vibration at 70

F22 tranny and motor. Vibration 70
                      H22 motor F22 tranny vibration 70
                      H22 motor and P2t4 tranny You guessed it still there.

My thinking on the intermediate shaft is I would notice this when I reached the same RPM as when I am cruising at 70mph? Agree?

I'll keep updating this thread Until I solve this. No the car has never been wrecked.

thanks

steve

Comment

I got an intermediate shaft from a 1996 and put a new bearing in. It did not help my vibration. I did new rotors which seemed to help for a while however they warped in less than a month. Which has me leaning toward warped hubs or knuckles somehow for my car at least. BTW I have replaced every thing that moves in the front at least once. Please post if you find a solution.

Comment

Well glad you bumped this.
                          I got the two new tires from tire rack. Took them to Firestone. They seem to e knowledgable and nice in this town. And fast. Which is a plus.
                          He took the tires off called me out there and said "why are you changing these?" So I went through my speech about not being happy. He said he would look at then closely. Back inside I go. Then he takes off the driver side and calls me out there to look. The rim has a little hop in it. Not much but some.
                          I can work with that so now I'm looking for another 93se rim Maybe that will fix it. I'm not 100% sure it will because I have had two sets of wheels and the car and it has done it through both sets.
                          But he did balance the tires better bc I get less vibration at speed than I did.

He said I could find a wheel and bring it in and they can spin it an see if it has any hop in it.
                          If this doesn't fix it. The only constant is the intermediate shaft.

Steve

Comment

I'm on second rims second tires nothing has worked, my intermediate shaft bearing was bad though, once off the car it turned really tough and rough. The new one did not fix the vibration though.

Comment

Bump I know double post but need to bump. Did you change your engine mounts? I just noticed on mine with the car at idle and the wheel turned left all the way my passenger tire moves forward and backward seemingly from engine vibration. I'm thinking that can't be good at high speeds.

Comment

Working...
                              X