Upper Control Arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper Control Arms

Just wanted to ay that replacing the UCA's on my car was easy and it made a world of difference. The steering wheel is not shaking and I feel like I have more control over the car now. Next up (maybe this weekend) will be the lower ball joints. They look to be a little more difficult to replace than the UCA's. For those wondering, I went with MOOG parts. I have heard that they are really good. I cross referenced the parts and found them on Ebay for much cheaper than Advance. Total for the UCA's and the lower ball joints was $211.

FYI I paid $106 for my Moog UCAs, and $48 for OEM LBJs....

And yes, the LBJs are MUCH more involved. It requires removing the knuckle, pressing the LBJ out, and then pressing the new one in.
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Pressing is for the weak hearted. Lol(joking)) I always hit my lowers out with a hammer and tap it back in with a big socket or tube that fits on the lip of the ball joint . No problems yet 6+ lowers later...
      4000watts just so all the haters hear me comin!

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
        FYI I paid $106 for my Moog UCAs, and $48 for OEM LBJs....

And yes, the LBJs are MUCH more involved. It requires removing the knuckle, pressing the LBJ out, and then pressing the new one in.

Where did you get those prices ?
        10th Anniversary Accord.
        05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

Ebay for the UCAs, and Majestic Honda for the LBJs.
          Originally posted by Mishakol129
          Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Autozone surprisingly has increased the quality of the UCAs. I purchased some for my 4dr DD for 56.99/lifetime warranty and they used to be of inferior quality, with the boot tearing every 6 months. I used to return them every 6 mo. because it took less than 10 min to change them out.

But my most recent change is promising. The balljoint looks to be almost OEM like, with the rubber being very thick and packed with grease. I'm pretty impressed with these. I doubt these will tear that easily.

As for LBJs, i got mine at my local Honda dealer for about 21 a piece using my discount tire discount. So you should be able to get them for 28/piece.

Also, they have a big C-clamp you can rent that'll make installing the LBJs very easy. For removal, I took my 4lb sledge and banged them out. You'll want to remove the brake dust shield and wiggle the bearing off the spindle for more room.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

thank god for that lifetime warranty from autozone.. because i also changed mine like 6 or 7 times usually once a year i go thru this ... and there quility has gotten better but im sure it will go again pretty soon...

Comment

Originally posted by illwitit247 View Post
                thank god for that lifetime warranty from autozone.. because i also changed mine like 6 or 7 times usually once a year i go thru this ... and there quility has gotten better but im sure it will go again pretty soon...
                I do believe they changed suppliers though. The UCAs I got before used to use standard instead of metric nuts and bolts. These new ones use 14mm bolts like Honda OEM UCAs and even the anchor bushings seem to use higher quality nuts, again metric as well, 17mm. I ditched the bushings though, or rather just keep them in a box full of other UCA bushings, since I've got a Progress camber correction kit with Poly bushings that are far better.

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I also thought the same thing a couple of weeks ago when I got a set for my LX. I still have them in package if anyone wants a photo of them not installed.

Comment

Working...
                  X