aftermarket suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aftermarket suspension

so, from what i have gathered from several other threads, is that it is better to drop a car 3" on the stock struts. as opposed to just dropping it 1.5". because the lesser of the drop will blow them much faster. correct me if i am wrong. thanks
    '93 lx not fast enough

Originally posted by acc9ord3
    so, from what i have gathered from several other threads, is that it is better to drop a car 3" on the stock struts. as opposed to just dropping it 1.5". because the lesser of the drop will blow them much faster. correct me if i am wrong. thanks
    ^^^ this is what you get when people are mis-informed. stock shocks/struts are not made for lowered vehicles no matter how low the drop is.
    5.6L V8 32V DOHC
    JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

first off do more research. im agree what he said (^^^^) stock struts are stock struts. theres no were around it. aftermarket struts are aftermarket struts. not stock are aftermarket. if honda made factory aftermarket struts then there wouldnt be a problem but they dont.

Comment

ok thanks. that presents another question. what shock/spring setup would you reccomend. something that performs good, isnt too expensive, and is at least semi-comfortable. thanks for the help
        '93 lx not fast enough

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1003

That covers pretty much every combo out there. Read up and see what people have to say. Then search the well known auto online stores as well as ebay for prices.

Comment

whoever tells u stock shocks will not work on a slammed vehicle composed to slightly dropped vehicle is WRONG as hell.....look at my thread "Stock shocks can withstand slammed vehicles" i finished my little experiment regarding stock shocks. proves all these people wrong. my stock shocks still haven't blown with over 160k miles on them 40k of them slammed 4+inches!!!!!!!!!! however i bought new STOCK shocks real cheap and put them in at around a 1.5in drop and they didn't even last like 6k miles. and this is on NH roads mind u. so yes u can run stock shocks on drops over 3" anything less than that and u def wanna ago with aftermarket.

if any of u still don't beleive stock shocks will last...i dunno what to say ur in DENIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
            My members ride thread

Comment

Are you sure your shocks aren't blown? WHen I took out my fronts, I didn't think they were blown either, until I took them out and I pressed them down and they didn't come back up.

Personally, I don't see the point of taking apart your whole suspension and not upgrading the shocks/struts? It's kinda half-assing it...why not do it all at once, and do it right, so you never have to worry about it.

Personally I think anything over a 2" drop is foolish for street use. I'd much rather not rip up the underside of my car and risk rupturing the oil pan, and tearing up any expensive aftermarket body pieces.

Comment

also.. KYB AGX shocks arnt ment to be for a lowered car. I just got mine and read the instructions. Maybe ill scan them

Comment

Originally posted by Maple50175
                  also.. KYB AGX shocks arnt ment to be for a lowered car. I just got mine and read the instructions. Maybe ill scan them
                  They're warranteed to a drop of 1.5" They'll hold up better than a stock strut would.

Comment

imo, my h&r race feel pretty comfortable, lol
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

i did this experiment just to prove that stock struts can hold up to slammed vehicles. i have skunk2 coilovers set all the way down (4+in drop) on GR-2's and i have no problems. i am not even 1.5in off the ground from my lowest point and i rarely scrap unless i am a FOOL and go on crappy roads.....it all about learning to drive a lowered vehicle. i need to teach a class bc too many people mess up their cars when they drop them
                      when i first dropped the car i scraped my tranny, oil pan, gas tank, caty, and ripped off some exhaust brakets.....but after learning how to drive, i am golden!!!!! and yes my stock 160K mile struts (40k of them being slammed) are NOT NOT NOT blown.....but the ones that i used on the 1.5 in drop were blown after not even 6k miles. gr-2's are handling wonderfly....however i raised the car up to stock height (1in above stock height in back) and i admit the ride is a little bouncy.

but there is proof that stock struts can handle it......pfffff pwned! hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
                      My members ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by accrdpower
                        i did this experiment just to prove that stock struts can hold up to slammed vehicles. i have skunk2 coilovers set all the way down (4+in drop) on GR-2's and i have no problems. i am not even 1.5in off the ground from my lowest point and i rarely scrap unless i am a FOOL and go on crappy roads.....it all about learning to drive a lowered vehicle. i need to teach a class bc too many people mess up their cars when they drop them
                        when i first dropped the car i scraped my tranny, oil pan, gas tank, caty, and ripped off some exhaust brakets.....but after learning how to drive, i am golden!!!!! and yes my stock 160K mile struts (40k of them being slammed) are NOT NOT NOT blown.....but the ones that i used on the 1.5 in drop were blown after not even 6k miles. gr-2's are handling wonderfly....however i raised the car up to stock height (1in above stock height in back) and i admit the ride is a little bouncy.

but there is proof that stock struts can handle it......pfffff pwned! hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
                        calm down sweet heart, my civics got skunk coilovers also and im on gr-2's. i bought the car this way i would never do it again. i drove around all summer not even a cell phone height off the ground on all 4 corners, gr-2s are very hard, there only 5 moths old and they hit so damn hard. i WOULD NOT USE GR-2'S IF YOUR GOING TO GO BELOW 1.5" accordpower maye like the ride but its not comphy. roads are worse down here in mass.....granite cb7 even thinks so and hes from new hampshire. but still dont use gr-2's if your going low. i will be switching to omnipowers this spring. accordpower your probably driving on blown struts and if you say your not prove it. gr-2s to lower a car = ...my proof is gr-2's suck when lowerd. not boucny but just hits so damn hard, yea of course they can handle it(ofr a little while) but who wants a shitty hard ride? if you say you have a fine ride you lie. dont cheap out when buying suspension. it'll cost more in the long run when you realize you have to buy a bunch of cheap setups every few years rather than buying one decent setup.
                        Last edited by 91accord4door; 11-29-2005, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91accord4door
                          calm down sweet heart, my civics got skunk coilovers also and im on gr-2's. i bought the car this way i would never do it again. i drove around all summer not even a cell phone height off the ground on all 4 corners, gr-2s are very hard, there only 5 moths old and they hit so damn hard. i WOULD NOT USE GR-2'S IF YOUR GOING TO GO BELOW 1.5" accordpower maye like the ride but its not comphy. roads are worse down here in mass.....granite cb7 even thinks so and hes from new hampshire. but still dont use gr-2's if your going low. i will be switching to omnipowers this spring. accordpower your probably driving on blown struts and if you say your not prove it. gr-2s to lower a car = ...my proof is gr-2's suck when lowerd. not boucny but just hits so damn hard, yea of course they can handle it(ofr a little while) but who wants a shitty hard ride? if you say you have a fine ride you lie. dont cheap out when buying suspension. it'll cost more in the long run when you realize you have to buy a bunch of cheap setups every few years rather than buying one decent setup.
                          im going to side with you 100% kyb gr-2 are not stock just a upgradeable stock strut.which makes them a aftermarket strut. just like a tokico blue ( these are better than gr-2)

Comment

i didn;t say the ride was smooth but i don't mind it at all.....i actually like it lol i'm soo used to it i don;t even really notice it. and nope gr-2 are not blown...neither are my stock struts. although they are not exactly in the best of condition. hahaha i am not going to waste 200 extra bucks to get agx (all it is is ajustable) just incase one of them does blow....that an expensive replacement. gr-2 the easiest, cheapest, and cheapest to replace. i could go through 2 sets of gr-2's and still have money left over. so many people have driven in my car and say that it doesn't ride that bad at all. in fact, it actually rides better slammed than it does at stock height lol. i will have all the cb7 members that go to import wars ride in it at the first import wars of the season. i will also try and snag my stock struts to bring too!

o and worst case senario if i blow a strut, it bounces more!!!! that it.....no biggie....just buy another one for 40bucks lol if a damn agx blew....whew shell out 100+...no way. i will not go any other way...gr-2 it is. for others.... get what u wish. all up to u
                            My members ride thread

Comment

Okay basicly you can take a car and slam the crap out of it. the lower the car gets the stiffer the ride will feel but its completly missleading. stock struts are made to perform at stock hight and if you lower it it puts a large straighn on the piston inside the strut causing it to blow. now if you slam your car 4 inches you wont have any travel so it will seem as if the struts are okay compared to a 2 inch drop where if the struts blow you have alot of travel so it will be ridding on nothing but spring making is the worst ride ever. so its your choice if you want to make it right.
                              Personaly i prefer tokico blues cause they run around 70 bucks a piece and you can lower your car 2 inches with now problems at all plus they have a life time warrantee on them so if they do blow they will replace them.

Comment

Working...
                              X