Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with suspension...or picking new suspension components.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with suspension...or picking new suspension components.

Guys try to help me figure out a setup. Here's what I'm wanting. I would like my car to be a little lower, but not much if possible. Mostly though I want that lowered "stiffness". I've ridden in and driven several Hondas that simply had the stock springs replaced with lowering springs, still running on stock struts and while they all road about as smooth as a block of wood being drug down he road they didn't bounce around all crazy or anything, and they took corners really, really well.

Now yesterday I installed some coilover sleeves on my stock struts, and I was expecting something similar to what I had experienced before with the drop springs on stock struts, but it's nowhere near that. My coilover sleeves cause the front of the car to bounce up and down like crazy even on fairly smooth surfaces (could this be because I still have stock springs in the back? I haven't gotten around to those yet, it started raining). The suspension also jolts badly even when hitting very minor bumps, and I even hear stuff making noises from the front end.

Now why on earth are these cheap-O coilover sleeves so much more terrible than cheap-O drop springs? I guess I'll have to post some pics later on, maybe I installed them wrong or something.

I mean I was expecting to get the rough ride and mexi-bounce, but not to have my front end feel like it's bouncing all over the place, like there's not even springs up there. If anything it should be stiffer I'd think, not sloppier.

Well anyway, if I can't get the issues with these coilover sleeves worked out what's another good setup I can go with for fairly cheap? I'm just looking for a small drop (which is why I bought adjustable coilovers in the first place). I just want the car to be a little lower than stock, and have that nice stiff lowered feel for taking corners and stuff.
    I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

CB7: The Movie TEASER VIDEO

eibach sportlines.

you get what you pay for, unless you found a good price on an otherwise higher end product.

cheap ebay shit == cheap ebay shit

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Well I tried raising the coilovers about as high as they would go, but it's still not enough. I made up my mind that with my crappy driveway, and my front lip hanging so low, I'm just going to have to be happy with stock ride height.

So I'm ordering some nice new Gabriel struts and I'm going to install those with my stock springs.
      I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Most of your suspension problems can be solved with good shock absorbers. Springs are only there to hold your car up, while the shocks are an active component of your suspension system helping to absorb the energy that is being sent up by the springs.

Don't cheap out on your suspension system....believe it or not, you can still have a good ride with a sporty suspension setup. Notice how I said "sporty" suspension setup, not "performance." This is because "performance" usually means high springs rates and high dampening rates that are usually at home on a smooth race track, or at least where daily comfort is not an issue.

My suggestion for relatively comfortable sports suspension:

Springs: Tein H-Tech, Eibach Sportline, H&R Sport
        Dampers: Tokico HP (Blue), Tokico Illumina, Koni Red, Koni Yellow

Now if you still want more "sportiness" get some sway bars. Most people relate sporty handling characteristics to how a car doesn't sway around a bend.
        DEVOTE

Comment

I agree with Mike i love my sportlines and even more after they have settled a little. And going to cheep out and go with tokico Hp's seeing they are only $300 or less on e bay. And also got the sportlines new in box off e bay for 120 shipped about a year ago.

Comment

well I already ordered the OEM replacement struts. Would the good sway bars really make that much of a difference? I just like a nice tight competent feel out of my car.

Comment

Ok here's a good question.

Since I'm getting new replacement OEM struts, what would give me the best (stiffest and tightest) feeling suspension? Is there anything I can use in conjunction with the OEM struts without blowing them quickly?

And if not modified springs/struts what else can I do to tighten up my handling, and more than anything reduce body-roll? I already have front & rear strut tower bars & new sway bar bushings.

Comment

Originally posted by Torqstr
                well I already ordered the OEM replacement struts. Would the good sway bars really make that much of a difference? I just like a nice tight competent feel out of my car.

yes it would...even with your stock springs and shocks...the front/rear sway bar kit will make a ton of a difference...I have ridden in cars with and without them and I can honestly say it changes the car's character a lot...for the better

it acts as another spring on your unsprung suspension...so its better to up-rate your shock absorbers if they are old...in your case, the new shocks should be fine.

DEVOTE

Comment

You guys think these would be ok with stock struts? Would they blow them quickly?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-D...QQcmdZViewItem

I had a 95 Integra with stock struts & dropzone springs and it handled great, although road kinda rough.

Comment

Buy my setup. Kyb AGX, and sprint 3.0 springs. Great drop I loved it.

Looking to get 320 shipped. Paypal ready.

LMK!

Comment

Eibach Pro-kit is designed to be run on a stock shock, and gives a 1.2" drop.

You said you don't want a major drop, correct?

Running too high a spring rate will damage your shocks, even if you're not lowered, you're making them work much harder than they are designed to work, which in turn will lower their life.

Comment

get some tokico hp or illuminas and pair them up with eibach sportlines or tein s tech or even a neuspeed sport

Comment

it's all tempting, but the Talon eats a lot of my money, it's loaded out with expensive performance parts. However, I think I will look into the Eibach Pro-Kit once I save up some cash, since they're designed to work with stock struts.

Comment

quick question...are the Pro-Kit springs the only ones made to work with stock dampers? Or are there other brands/types?

Comment

i dont think its that they are "made for stock struts" its more that they are a very mild spring, with one of the mildest drops available (1.2"), which isnt extreme enough to blow shocks quickly. i rode on sportlines (1.8") for almost a year on stock shocks without them blowing, and i loved the height.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                              Current cars:
                              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X