Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Braided steel lines useful for daily drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braided steel lines useful for daily drive?

I understand the theory behind them - that when your brake components heat up the rubber lines can swell slightly and provide a less responsive braking system. The braided lines prevent this swelling.

The question - would a daily driver (with all the other components in as good of shape as possible) benefit from braided steel?

Would you say that the braided steel would help the dd stop 10, 5 or 2 feet sooner? (which would make them worthwhile for the cost IMO). Or would their benefit really only apply after autocrossing or lots of mountain driving when all the components are all hot?
    90 Accord Ex, F22A4. Slight fire damage.

Any upgrade to the braking system will benefit a DD and is worth the money. As far as shortening stopping distance, I don't think anyone has gotten any actual numbers, but any improvement is improvement.

Comment

More pedal force will create proportionally more line pressure, so the harder you stop, the more likely the stock lines can expand. So, in that respect the ss braided lines are good and can help, as well as withstand more line pressures. However, mechanically speaking they do no directly make the car stop quicker.
      There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have had my goodridges on my car for 3 years (daily driven) and I know when I put them on it helped a lot, I got a firmer pedal, and I would recomend upping your fluid to DOT 4, it has helped me many times in afternoon downtown KC traffic.

Comment

You've got like 20 year old lines, so even replacing them with stock ones might help a tiny bit. But no matter how good your brake lines are it won't help if you don't have good enough tires utilize the power with. I have no idea the distance that it'll help with, since that does of course depend on the speed you're going and everything else. But it is a small amount of added insurance

And if you really wanna make sure your brake fluid doesn't heat up, try some DOT 5.1, it's got an even higher boiling point than DOT 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
            You've got like 20 year old lines, so even replacing them with stock ones might help a tiny bit. But no matter how good your brake lines are it won't help if you don't have good enough tires utilize the power with. I have no idea the distance that it'll help with, since that does of course depend on the speed you're going and everything else. But it is a small amount of added insurance

And if you really wanna make sure your brake fluid doesn't heat up, try some DOT 5.1, it's got an even higher boiling point than DOT 5.
            Exactly. I have 11.1" prelude rotors and brakes on the front and stock rear drums, stainless lines, and I can lock my front wheels up and skid. I have BFG Traction T/A tires....which isn't the best, just a better-than-average performance all season.

As you can see, with such a mild brake upgrade, the tires are still the weak link. I have a graph of deceleration g's vs stopping distance from 60mph if you'd like to see it

Comment

I have the V6/wagon 11.1" x 25mm wide fronts and rear disc w/ SS lines, racing fluid and 205/55/R15 performance all seasons(Nexen N2000) and the tires are still the weak link .

I don't think the SS lines improve stopping UNLESS you are tracking the car or driving very hard and if you are doing so be sure to use some good fluid. I use Motul DOT 5.1.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyG View Post
                I have the V6/wagon 11.1" x 25mm wide fronts and rear disc w/ SS lines, racing fluid and 205/55/R15 performance all seasons(Nexen N2000) and the tires are still the weak link .

I don't think the SS lines improve stopping UNLESS you are tracking the car or driving very hard.

You only REALLY need SS lines in two situations:

Your line pressures are stupid high (you're running a very small aftermarket master cylinder)

Or, you're boiling your brake fluid, in which case you should be switching to a better fluid anyway.

Comment

I replaced my lines with techna fit lines on my sedan. My sedan is daily driven!! Especially when I take my trips up and down the east coast.

Just get them! lol

Comment

They're decent for looks but otherwise they won't help much. Like if you're driving along at night then all of a sudden you're all like "OMG, DEER!" they won't help. unless your current lines are kinda worn out, OR if someone tries to kill you by putting some kind of clip on your rubber lines so they can burst when you try to slam on the brakes. If you're driving along at 100 mph though, then you're all like "OMG, DEER!" get back to 100, go "OMG, stop sign!", and repeat the process of getting up to high speeds and slamming on your brakes they'll eventually help. But the initial few times of slamming on your brakes it won't help. Unless, of course, you have teh uber tires on perfectly dry roads.
                    Last edited by Sarthos; 09-10-2010, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                      You only REALLY need SS lines in two situations:

Your line pressures are stupid high (you're running a very small aftermarket master cylinder)

Or, you're boiling your brake fluid, in which case you should be switching to a better fluid anyway.
                      My car does have the smaller MS(15/16"??) and I intend to track my car soon so thats why I got em. Also I am doing all my hardlines and fuel lines and even the gas tank so it was well worth it for me to get them.

For my situation I wouldnt say I need them either, but they are not a bad idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X