X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

235/40/17 on 17x7.5

235/40/17 on 17x7.5"

Anyone running this tire combination?

I know it's listed on tire rack for minimum 17x8" wide rims, but we don't always stick to specs . I would use them for rear tires.

My concerns:

Safety- It's not going to fly off the rim right?

Looks - will it look silly with 205/40 on the front (on a FWD)

Speedometer reading - Will it throw it off?

Rubbing - Will the inner tire rub the knuckle?

I think the stock tire size is 195/60/14, listed as 23.21" high
    That's why I chose my 205/40/17's, listed as 23.46" high. (Not much difference, but sidewalls look too thin sometimes.)
    And then these : 235/40/17, listed as 24.40"

(that's huge to me, but anyone know of this combo on a CB so I could see?)

Tire height chart
    Pics on 17x7 rims

It will look ridiculous to have a 205 on the front and a 235 on the rear of a front wheel drive car. Having bigger wider tires on the rear will make your car understeer even worse than it already does which affects safety. There's nothing wrong with running that tire on that wheel other than it will look like it's too big for the wheel and yes it will likely rub. Your speedometer runs off of the front specifically the transmission. Of course tire size on the front will affect the speedo but the rear won't do anything.
    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

thanks.
      I found a CB that size, but they are running all 4, and the rims were 8 - 9inches wide (one of the NW guys)

There's a CB owner locally who runs 225/45, but on all 4. Those look huge to me (24.97")

It's a great deal though, on craigslist for a pair of Hankook Ventus, they look barely used. I'm wondering if I could live with the look for a while, and maybe get 225/35 for the front later. That rear knuckle is already close though. (will be getting rear sway bar later on)

edit: these I found. All 17x9's

Originally posted by itstatcb7kid707 View Post
      Here are a few i ran.

This was 17x9 +40 on 255/45 in the front and a 235/40 in the rear

Originally posted by YoungTokyo93 View Post
      I figured it was going to be pretty aggressive. I looked and found a CB that had the same spec wheels

Originally posted by 90ACCORDLXGUY View Post
      I had a pair of 17x9s on the back of my accord. The offset was +38, very minimal rubbing of the tire with a 225/45 and stock camber settings. No inner rubbing at all.

DSC_2772npb by NButtz, on Flickr

DSC_2766npb by NButtz, on Flickr

but looking for a 7.5
      Last edited by DCB7; 08-25-2015, 08:39 PM.

Comment

You should run the same tires on all 4 corners. The only time you should run different sizes is if you know what you're doing. You're vehicle dynamics was designed around all 4 corners having the same dimensions and mu.
        '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

225/45/17
          17x8.5 Trying to source a 1.5" lip to fill the rear our more.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
            You should run the same tires on all 4 corners. The only time you should run different sizes is if you know what you're doing. You're vehicle dynamics was designed around all 4 corners having the same dimensions and mu.
            I could go race mode and get them for the front, lol.
            nah, I can't do it. not for the street

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            225/45/17
            17x8.5
            That looks good, but see you're lowered more than I am and your offset puts more of the tire under the car. It might stick out on mine. If it's going to look like a 4x4 I want it to be a Range, not a Wrangler. nah mean

Trying to source a 1.5" lip to fill the rear our more.
            look at this beautiful thing.
            Originally posted by LowWago View Post

97 - 01 prelude he says. I was going to keep it to myself. Top secret, but...

DJHizzle got some sick rear valances too, he ain't posting them though

Comment

I went ahead and got them. (f-k it). I have to wait to put them on, but glad to have them

My reasons for getting them:
              -I found a crack that gapes with pressure on it, on the inner sidewall of current rear tires
              -current inner shoulders are worn down smooth
              -for the price of one of the cheapest 205/40 I got 2 of these, which works right now

Cons:
              -size. It's a little too big for rim and doesn't match with other 2
              -signs of dry rot on one shoulder, each tire

Best case: It handles great and looks awesome
              Worst case: I wouldn't mind still changing them out for some 215/40 in a couple months, at this price

Worst of the dry rot can be seen on this tire, left side

Comment

Working...
              X