Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VTEC not engaging? all possible problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VTEC not engaging? all possible problems?

Okay, I know for a fact that the vtec on my h22 isn't engaging. That, in turn, is causing me to rev limit at 6500. The question I have is what could be causing this. I have checked the wiring, so I know that is fine. I was told to check and clean the screen, but when I unbolt the three 10mm bolts on top where the little gold canister is, I don't see any sort of screen there. Am I supposed to remove the entire assembly, with pressure switch and all? Also, last night someone from the forum called me and said it may have something to do w/ the fact that I took power steering off. When I removed power steering, we thought that we had closed up the cut off line that went in under the car basically right under the pedals. All the fluid leaked out of the lines, and I'm pretty sure there isn't any fluid at all in there anymore. Should I weld that piece I cut off up, to insure it won't leak, and refill the fluid thru one of the hoses we connected so as to make a loop? I'm sorry if I'm not making much sense. Anyways, what else could it be? I'm also still running very rich, but I'm not worried about that as much as vtec. And before someone says search, I searched and found 50 threads, but none of them really helped. Someone said cpmike had something on this, but I couldn't find it.
    JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

i found a thread and read some of the problems that could be causing this, but problem is I'm not throwing a CEL and it seems I have to remove the entire assembly to clean the filter...oh ya, and the car started doing somethin funky if it has anything to do w/ the vtec...yesterday morning on my way to ride my bike, i noticed the heat started blowing cold...well teh temp guage shot up to hot, so i backed off completely, turned the heat off, and it went back to normal...turn heat back on and it blows hot for a few minutes, then the same thing...well left heat off and still bounced...is my thermostat goin bad? seems that may be the issue...but vtec wasn't engaging before this, so i'm baffled...
    JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

i had the same problem..i took apart the entire vtec solenoid assembly including the vtec pressure switch. a little oil will leak out but thats ok. after removing the pressure switch assembly, you'll see the screen/filter. i cleaned that by spraying compressed air(keyboard cleaner) thru to get rid of the residue. then i also sprayed the openings under the vtec solenoid to clean that too.
      5.6L V8 32V DOHC
      JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

i guess i'll try that after i ride my bike today...gotta ride may 7th...103 miles..gotta prepare!
        JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

NOt enough oil,bad pressure switch bad solinoid .

Comment

sorry for not mentioning u had to remove the ENTIRE vtec sol assembly lol.. i forget that both the vtec sol and vtec press have 3 bolts.. haha..try cleaning that up and see what happens.. again we may wanna begin looking for someone with a p13 u can try.. maybe going back to the shop and asking to test another p13

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

How can you tell if ur car has vtec? How does the car feel when vtec engages? My car engine code is unreadable, and i really cant tell. Its a 92 LX, but i dont think its the original engine. i got it like 6 monthes ago.

Comment

actually too.slow.cb7 may have one i could try...i have a friend w/ a jdm h22a, but his cell was shut off and i can't get ahold of him anymore...imma call the place i got the engine from and tell them the situation IF the cleaning doesn't fix it...hopefully that will take care of it...if nothing else, they'll let me switch one out and try it maybe...what about the power steering thing...you guys ever heard of that? i hadn't...and i've talked to a lot of guys....
                JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

does the valve cover say vtec? i can't really think of a vtec engine who's valve cover doesn't say it...if it does, then i dunno what the problem would be why ur not hittin it...that's why i can't fix mine...dunno what to look for...i'll be cleanin that screen when i get home in about an hour and a half...
                  JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

i can't really think of a vtec engine who's valve cover doesn't say it
                    off topic and doesnt really matter and not being a smarty but some of the 93 D16's doesnt say VTEC thats the first year off it in the civic hell argued with a guy at advance that it was a VTEC his computer said it wasnt VTEC....lol just though id add that
                    F22A1:blew up
                    F22A1/H22:blew up
                    F22A6/H22: " "
                    F22A4/H22: " "
                    H23A1 boosted:blew up
                    H23A1:traded
                    H23A1/H22 built:still in progress (getting my feet wet)

drive it like you stole it
                    FCB7(FRANKENSTEIN CB7 CLUB)

Comment

no more suggestions as to what the problem may be? i think i'm gonna put power steering back on and see how that works out...
                      JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

What does powersterring have to do with no vtec. I have no powersteering and my vtec is working just fine.

Comment

what ecu are you using?

Comment

I know H23Accord was having problems with his vtec kicking in, checked everything including wiring several times, switched his ecu with one a friend had and vtec worked, so you might have a faulty ecu. But i would try cleaning the solenoids to see if that fixes it.

My Cb bad, Cb bright and the cops can kiss my Cb lights - I’m gone!
                            Frost White Member 13
                            My Ride
                            "Girls are like a new car... lease w/ option to buy"

Comment

well...i'm putting the ps back on mainly cause my wife can't drive my car anymore...but i cleaned the solenoid, even tho it wasn't dirty...i'm leaning toward the ecu now...i'm calling the place i got the engine from at lunch to tell them about it and exchange the ecu...
                              JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

Working...
                              X