Transmission install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission install

My manual says to pull it up top. It can be dropped I've done the clutch this way in the past.

Anybody have any tips?

I searched but the clutch installs where basically verbatim the manual and no pics.

steve

It looks as if there should be enough clearance to remove the transmission if you remove the distributor, radiator hoses, and other things in the way. It will be a pain if you have no lift but I assume you do with your sig having an H22 in there.
    Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Bottom is way simpler.
      wat?

Comment

For removing it from the bottom. I basically just remove the bolts from front and rear mounts. Remove the tranny mount and let the engine drop and pull it out?
        Do I have to remove the downpipe?
        I know there are more things to disconnect. I'm wanting the main idea.

Thanks

Steve

Comment

Put a jack under the oil pan so you can move it up and down.
          wat?

Comment

you don't have to remove the engine. Drop the tranny from the bottom. Keep a jack with a block of wood under the oil pan to prevent it from denting.

You can use a jack with a block of wood and lower the trans as well.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Never heard of anybody pulling the trans out the top with the engine still bolted to the car.
              COUPE K24

Comment

I might do it from the top because I am in no way capable of lifting the car high enough to swap transmissions and I don't see it that much more difficult just need extra hands to lift that heavy SOB out.

Comment

Also watch these. It is a prelude but same thing.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXBfoDmiaJc

Comment

I dont even think its possible to remove the trans from the top
                    There is not enough space to move the input shaft past the clutch and then you would have to remove alot more extra stuff for no reason.

I did the whole install with a regular tire jack ,stands , and a wood block. To maximize your underspace pull your front bumper off, it made it much easier for me.

Comment

yea you only need the car off the ground maybe 2 feet. and thats being generous.

how would you get the trans case past the actual mount bracket welded to the frame? theres no way to pull it from the top.

undo the front mount and trans mount, pull the radius rod,axles,shifter cables, and clutch line. remove bolts from bellhousing. theres 1 bolt that goes in backwards above the rear mount. then lower it down with a jack.
                      COUPE K24

Comment

Thanks for the vid. And all the comments.

I assume from the top you slide it out and rotate it up then pull it straight up.

I might have to wait till next Saturday to do this.

Comment

What I want to know is how to get it back in, I am in no physical condition to lift and hold and precisely place it back in place.

Comment

Pulling it from the top would mean pulling it with the motor using a engine hoist, which to me is easier especially if you have no one around to help you. I have also pulled it from the bottom which means removing the radius rod and other thing, then lifting the tranny back into the bay and trying to line up the input shaft while hunched over the engine bay etc.

I have done both ways and there was a lot less cursing with pulling the motor. Either way works though.

Comment

Do it from the bottom. If your jack cant go that high then get some wood to get it to go higher and secure it into place.
                              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
                              X