H22 vs H23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 vs H23

hey guys im starting to think about swapping my accord. I notice that a lot of people are doing h22, but some are also doing h23s. could someone explain the differences in these motors? isnt a h23 just a h22 head on a f22 bottom end? or am i wrong? also how much power would a h23 make vs the 200 hp of a h22.

thanks for any help guys, i really do appreciate it
    "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
    Disregard females, acquire currency
    BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Originally posted by turbomaxx
    hey guys im starting to think about swapping my accord. I notice that a lot of people are doing h22, but some are also doing h23s. could someone explain the differences in these motors? isnt a h23 just a h22 head on a f22 bottom end? or am i wrong? also how much power would a h23 make vs the 200 hp of a h22.

thanks for any help guys, i really do appreciate it
    the h23 was only made for the prelude in the US 92-96
    h23 160hp non vtec dohc 156tq
    the JDM f22b 160hp non vtec dohc 145tq basically a h23 head on a f22a block. same horsepower less tq. open deck design as with the h23 closed deck design
    the h22 has 190-210hp depending yr, model and what not. some come with open or closed deck depending on yr. all these motors are good it all depends what u are looking for. (driving style)

Comment

if u have the money go for the h22 but the h23 isnt that bad and it bolts right up.
      Project EP hatch on the way

Comment

Originally posted by GREENCB3
        if u have the money go for the h22 but the h23 isnt that bad and it bolts right up.
        also h23s are harder to find. not that hard but not common like the h22

Comment

There are no JDM H23s, so finding one that isn't beaten to shit by US drivers is difficult. The F22B DOHC is pretty much what the Japanese had instead.

H23 is the Prelude Si motor. It's non-VTEC, and makes 160hp. A nice upgrade, but I wouldn't look for one, myself. USDM motors are hard to find in good shape. F22B DOHC for boost, H22 for NA (H22s are GREAT motors, but expensive to take beyond about 200whp). The stock F22A is actually a fantastic motor... very underappricated by most CB7 tuners!

Comment

sorry for thread jumping but witch one is easyer to install??
            本田**AcCoRd**本田
            Click to see my CB7
            '90 CRX SIR - Imported from Japan --- Daily Driver
            '93 civic hatch -sold
            '98 Civic H22 Turbo -sold
            '92 Accord ExR coupe- sold
            '96 Golf- Sold
            '96 Bmw 328-Sold
            '01 Civic Si-Sold
            '99 Maxima-Sold
            '88 Crx-Sold
            '91 Accord H22-sold
            '97 Civic Coupe-Sold
            '95 Civic HB b16b-Sold
            '93 Accord-Sold
            '89 Prelude Si-Sold
            '91 Crx Si-Sold
            '93 Honda accord-Sold
            '88 Ford Exp-Rip
            '92 Tracker-Sold
            and many more lol(just dont want to take all the place lol)

Comment

well how much power could i expect to make with a F22?? i wouldnt mind building one, but i really heart vtec...
              "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
              "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
              Disregard females, acquire currency
              BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

from the ludes i've seen, the h23 ludes are way faster than the h22 ludes.

Comment

Originally posted by tunerman
                  from the ludes i've seen, the h23 ludes are way faster than the h22 ludes.
                  for reals? dang! im probably getting a H23 next week for 500! it includes tranny, engine, and ecu :http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/...39.htmlbouncy:
                  lisa is long gone, but sophie is here!

i got a good feeling about this one

im going to have to
                  |_..._...____________======||_|_|__--]
                  "(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''*|(@)(@)*****" (@)
                  check out my mr thread
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=106541

Comment

Originally posted by 93cord
                    sorry for thread jumping but witch one is easyer to install??
                    Both are the same. H22 pulls top end H23 is more low end. Both make power in different areas. Tq figures are really close. Both motors run the quarter mile with a couple tenths apart.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

My friend runs a quarter mile within one second of me, and all he has is cheap bolt-ons on his F22A1.

H22 is the more powerful engine. H23 has a little more torque. The VTEC point in the H22 is set higher so you can feel the transition (that "kick" you feel is what sold cars). It's actually a bit higher than necessary. A lower crossover would make for better shifts. If you shift out of VTEC with the H22, you're losing power.

The F22A head flows VERY well. I've heard this from two seperate reliable sources. Bisi Ezerioha (Bisimoto on here, professional racer and owner of his own company) is making about 400hp at the crank (340whp, assuming a 15% drivetrain loss). His motor would hypothetically drive a 2600lb CB7 down the quarter mile in about 11.3 seconds.
                      I've seen fast93accord's car run the quarter in 11.7. Fully built and boosted. I don't know how much power he's making, but it has to be well over 300... possibly approaching or exceeding 400.

How much could YOU make on an F22? I couldn't say. To make lots of power, you need lots of money and proper planning (planning is more important than money, honestly... know what you're doing, and know what is important, and you can save a LOT of money!)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                        There are no JDM H23s, so finding one that isn't beaten to shit by US drivers is difficult. The F22B DOHC is pretty much what the Japanese had instead.

H23 is the Prelude Si motor. It's non-VTEC, and makes 160hp. A nice upgrade, but I wouldn't look for one, myself. USDM motors are hard to find in good shape. F22B DOHC for boost, H22 for NA (H22s are GREAT motors, but expensive to take beyond about 200whp). The stock F22A is actually a fantastic motor... very underappricated by most CB7 tuners!
                        yup, but there are edm h23's. so you can find a low mileage h23.

i believe those are the h23's hmotors sells, but they advertise them as jdm for some reason.

they both require the same steps for swapping(h22 and h23). just no vtec for the h23.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

[QUOTE=deevergote]My friend runs a quarter mile within one second of me, and all he has is cheap bolt-ons on his F22A1.

The F22A head flows VERY well. I've heard this from two seperate reliable sources. Bisi Ezerioha (Bisimoto on here, professional racer and owner of his own company) is making about 400hp at the crank (340whp, assuming a 15% drivetrain loss). His motor would hypothetically drive a 2600lb CB7 down the quarter mile in about 11.3 seconds.

Bisi is the reason why i want to stay with the f22! even tho i know i will never be able to do what he does but it still gives me hope!

My s13 Ride Thread>>><<<My Rx7 Ride Thread "What is power without control?"
                          New people click here

Comment

Well, the ONLY JDM H23 was the H23 VTEC found in the 6th gen AWD automatics (I heard they were only wagons, but I think someone recently told me there were sedans as well).

Either way, the H23 shares the same FRM sleeves as the H22, I believe... That means running forged pistons is difficult unless you go with the limited selection of compatible pistons, or get a full resleeve. The F22B DOHC does not have FRM sleeves (I'm not 100% positive there, but from all I could find, I seem to be right).

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                              Well, the ONLY JDM H23 was the H23 VTEC found in the 6th gen AWD automatics (I heard they were only wagons, but I think someone recently told me there were sedans as well).

Either way, the H23 shares the same FRM sleeves as the H22, I believe... That means running forged pistons is difficult unless you go with the limited selection of compatible pistons, or get a full resleeve. The F22B DOHC does not have FRM sleeves (I'm not 100% positive there, but from all I could find, I seem to be right).
                              I believe H23's have iron sleeves.

Comment

Working...
                              X