Cleaned TB... high idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaned TB... high idle

before getting smogged i took off my tb and had it tapped cause the smog canister hose was broken. i wiped all the gunk out of the tb and plate and reinstalled everything. now instead of 800ish it idles around 1000.

i plugged the holes inside the tb, so i know its not a leaky fiv... and when i cover the tb opening with my hand the car dies, so im assuming there isnt a leak.

could all the crap inside the throttle plate been acting as some sort of seal? i dont know what else it could be, i didnt mess with anything.

Try adjusting the idle adjustment screw on the throttle body

Comment

Originally posted by FushigiRES
      Try adjusting the idle adjustment screw on the throttle body
      aww, come on man... gimme a little credit. that was the first thing i tried yesterday, it didnt make much of a difference.

for now, i just unhooked the catch tank, and ran the hose directly from the valvecover to the intake. hopefully itll create a little dirt inside and itll create the seal that im assuming i cleaned away.

Comment

check the cable at the throte. u probably did something to it. but if u move the cable donw and the car died then u might need another throte body.
        are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord
          check the cable at the throte. u probably did something to it. but if u move the cable donw and the car died then u might need another throte body.
          the throttle cable is fine. and the car died when i used my hand to cover the throttlebody opening. i did that to see if there was a leak... cause if i covered the air source but there was a vacuum leak, the car would have kept idling.

Comment

it would have to be a really big leak...to do that test.

you know what, to cheat, adjust ur throttle cable...just loosen it a bit...then ur idle will go down..maybe its the tention of that thats out of wack.

then put it back later.

timming can be high too.
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang
              aww, come on man... gimme a little credit. that was the first thing i tried yesterday, it didnt make much of a difference.

for now, i just unhooked the catch tank, and ran the hose directly from the valvecover to the intake. hopefully itll create a little dirt inside and itll create the seal that im assuming i cleaned away.

Sorry, I didn't know...Just trying to help!

Comment

does your car have cruise control? maybe that cable got wrapped around something and is pulling it tight... happened to me.

and this is gonna be a stretch: fumes from cleaner in the tb? maybe it needs time to burn off....

"Sticker this, censor this, ban this
                We got something to say!
                Police this, condemn this, damn this
                We'll be heard anyway!
                Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

Comment

Might you need to reset your ecu?

I know that when I disconnect my battery and don't reset the ECU, my car will idle like poo for awhile unless I reset.

I know you probably did this, but I'm just thinking of anything I can think of.

Comment

well thanks for all the help guys, but unfortunetly, its none of the above. guess ill just have to deal with it, or maybe itll get better over time... if it does have something to do with me cleaning it.

Comment

Did you disconnect the IACV when you adjusted the screw?

If you don't... then it will compensate for any changes you made and give you funky idle gremlins...

Try it and then reset the ECU...
                      RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

Originally posted by ZigenBallZ
                        Did you disconnect the IACV when you adjusted the screw?

If you don't... then it will compensate for any changes you made and give you funky idle gremlins...

Try it and then reset the ECU...
                        u kno what dude, everytime i did that it didnt do anything...the rpm went lower..lol i just adjusted it with the thing on and reset the ecu haha...much easier since there is 2 readings, one with the IAC connected and one disconnected.
                        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
                        X