No announcement yet.

F22a4 In-Vehicle Stock Engine Refresh Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

damn cisco keepin busy! Glad to see such a high miles car make an improvement. I need to do the valves on my 04 accord...really lookin forward to that
    Seattle Silver crew #5
    Member of the Midwest Car Club.
    ..........2004 accord ex v6 - J30A4.......................... 91 accord ex - JDM H22A -- Long gone...

Comment

Shag Wagon,

Honestly, it should have no problem with another 100-150K miles, but he only needs it for 2 more years. The body is crap and a rust bucket, will probably fall apart before the motor/tranny.

accord91lx,

David, what's up bro! By valves, you mean valvejob on the heads of that V6? Ouch. Well, it is 6 yrs old now, amazing as we view it as new compared to our CB7s.
      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
        Shag Wagon,

Honestly, it should have no problem with another 100-150K miles, but he only needs it for 2 more years. The body is crap and a rust bucket, will probably fall apart before the motor/tranny.

accord91lx,

David, what's up bro! By valves, you mean valvejob on the heads of that V6? Ouch. Well, it is 6 yrs old now, amazing as we view it as new compared to our CB7s.
        Naw not that intense... just a valve lash adjustment. Its starting to talk to me when its a cold start
        Seattle Silver crew #5
        Member of the Midwest Car Club.
        ..........2004 accord ex v6 - J30A4.......................... 91 accord ex - JDM H22A -- Long gone...

Comment

impressive i must say.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I'm at about 250 miles on the 2nd gas tank since repair on this engine. I should have results by this weekend I can compare to first gas tank, I assume slightly better results since rings should have been mostly broke in by now.

Anyhow, keep in mind that weather has dropped about 10 degrees F since last gas tank to about 15 deg F.

On page 2, I included a price estimate on needed components for refresh with some optional items included. I eliminated the preventative maintenance I did specific to my bro's car & condition. I will copy this info to first page, first post for a good summary.
            Last edited by HondaFan81; 01-08-2010, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Ran about 375 miles on 2nd gas tank, yielded 29.8 MPG and still no oil consumption in about 700+ miles of driving. No abnormalities, leaks, overheating, etc.

I'm turning the car over to my bro this weekend. So that concludes this thread.

Comment

Ran about 375 miles on 2nd gas tank, yielded 29.8 MPG and still no oil consumption in about 700+ miles of driving. No abnormalities, leaks, overheating, etc.

I'm turning the car over to my bro this weekend. So that concludes this thread.
                I don't reach 30mpg unless I'm cruising 100% interstate @75mph....nice job on the engine refresh, your brother should be pleased!
                My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Update 2/5/10:

Replaced alternator with remanufactured unit today on this car (my bro's 90 EX) and replaced some of the low psi P/S hoses with new.

Anyhow, I checked oil level and it is still same as I left it last, 2000+ miles later! Oil color is like new as well. My bro says he calculated gas MPG last to be 29.9, in winter cold in Michigan.

Amazing, this engine is working great and has 370,XXX+ miles.
                  Last edited by HondaFan81; 02-05-2010, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Update March 2010:

Engine had 373,500 miles and I checked oil level. My brother has not added any oil and it has used short of 1/2 quart 4,000 miles later. That is fantastic!

Basically, assuming you top off oil level, you could run 4,000-5,000 mile oil change intervals. I do this for mostly highway driven vehicles. My bro commented engine has been running great since and I drove it at this check to store and back, I agree.

Comment

Update August 25, 2011:

Spoke with bro and engine has around 397K miles and got him 30 MPG mixed HWY/CITY. Engine still runs great, but the body is deteriorating more. However, it is saving him money in his life now and that is all he needs. Later, he will buy a newer vehicle. I hope to see this engine break 400K miles!

Comment

4/12/2012 update:

I'll update later with current MPG on this engine, but it has 411K+ miles on it now! My brother is still using it as his DD car. I recently installed new front upper control arms on it, man the ball-joints were completely shot. Have to take care the family.

My sister's 91 Accord EX coupe 4AT needed both new front upper control arms too.

My parent's 91 Accord EX sedan 4AT needed both new front upper control arms, new right CV shaft and VSS.

Only 4 CB7's in the family now, including mine.

Comment

4/12/2012 update:

I'll update later with current MPG on this engine, but it has 411K+ miles on it now! My brother is still using it as his DD car. I recently installed new front upper control arms on it, man the ball-joints were completely shot. Have to take care the family.

My sister's 91 Accord EX coupe 4AT needed both new front upper control arms too.

My parent's 91 Accord EX sedan 4AT needed both new front upper control arms, new right CV shaft and VSS.

Only 4 CB7's in the family now, including mine.
                          you should just buy a set of UCAs at Autozone and keep swapping them out by using their lifetime warranty at different stores lol

member's ride thread
                          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                          91 Accord SE 176k
                          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

So this 90 Accord EX 5MT (seattle silver) now has about 415,000 miles and still running. It has now been officially handed down from my bro to my little sister. The body looks horrible, we'll be installing a better condition front hood due to rust holes around the latch. That is a safety issue, as far as I'm concerned. The powertrain will outlast the body, I'm convinced. Hope my sister can get one more year out of this car. Bro bought a 2005 TSX 6MT with 57K miles, nice car.

My parents about trashed the 91 Accord EX 4AT (mulberry red pearl), the remote start system caused issue with starter motor and started smoking. Firefighter had to put it out, been repaired and now back on road. Meanwhile, father took back the 91 Accord EX 4AT (cappucino brown) from my little sister to drive because they have no other vehicles.

Comment

Good to know it's still on the road. I'm impressed that you were able to complete the rebuild with the block still in the car. Mostly I'm impressed that you just thought of that method.
                              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Thank you. My bro being on a budget directed me to think in this manner to help him out. I had nothing to lose and it fortunately worked out very well. Shared my experience because I know there are other members in the same boat.

BTW, when you turn the key to start on this car the engine fires up right away...like by the 2nd crank. I so wish the body were in better shape or maybe I can transfer the powertrain to a better shell with working A/C for my sister.
                                Last edited by HondaFan81; 07-05-2012, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X