ATF/MTF replacement myth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATF/MTF replacement myth

hi folks, ive done a couple of searchs on the google and this website here and was unable to find out the answer to my question..

okay so i was talking to my cousin about getting together at his house and changing are tranny fluids...but he told me that his mechanic..which sounds like a total plug said that you should never change your tranny fluid becuase it takes special enzymes out which will ruin your tranny....ive never once heard of this BS before...would anyone like to veryify this or agree thats its total bs
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=167601 Click to see my new ride

Originally posted by carps_accord View Post
    hi folks, ive done a couple of searchs on the google and this website here and was unable to find out the answer to my question..

okay so i was talking to my cousin about getting together at his house and changing are tranny fluids...but he told me that his mechanic..which sounds like a total plug said that you should never change your tranny fluid becuase it takes special enzymes out which will ruin your tranny....ive never once heard of this BS before...would anyone like to veryify this or agree thats its total bs
    1. I bet his "mechanic" is an older guy.

2. Transmission fluid is often the most overlooked fluid in vehicles but is extremely important to maintain. Automatic transmission fluid sees intense pressures during operation, absorbs all the wear material off of the numerous clutches inside the casing, and MUST maintain many different cleansing & lubricating & pressure specs through extreme cold and hot temperatures....(normal operation). Because of these reasons, auto fluid especially breaks down and becomes contaminated over time. For this reason fluid changes are essential to longevity to ensure long-term service from the transmission. I recommend changing your Honda ATF in 3 consecutive drain/fill intervals, changing 3 quarts each time and doing each drain/fill 100 city miles apart until you have put 9 quarts of new fluid in the tranny. Use only Honda ATF and wipe the magnetic drain plug each time as you will see the new fluid break down some deposits inside! Don't worry about breaking loose the seals and causing leaks because that RARELY happens. Perform this 3Xdrain/fill process every 33k miles.

3. Manual tranny fluid changes are also important. Synchros inside wear out over time and the fluid carries this material, also every time you even slightly grind the gears you have a tiny bit of metal that gets into the fluid. MTF also endures alot of pressure between the mating surfaces of gear teeth (a VERY thin film between the metal teeth) to prevent wear. Again, the fluid will break down and become contaminated over time and needs to be changed. MTF change is just a simply 2-quart drain & refill process. and should be done every 50k miles for easy driving or as often as 15k miles if you're constantly racing or drive extremely hard 24/7.
    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

i like your input, and seeing as how i have a mt i will do a change soon time, its been long over due

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
        1. I bet his "mechanic" is an older guy.
        Yeah those are the same guys that have had a truck since 1970 and never changed the oil and it runs like a dream.

Thing is engineering tolerances have changed since then and while a vehicle with "looser" tolerances can better handle debris floating around in oil (or any fluid), most cars cant. (Ignoring the known fact that oil degrades relatively rapidly)

MTF is mostly a detergent and lubricant. It shares many properties with engine oil.

ATF is decidedly different. they have more in common with hydraulic fluids since they are engineered to work inside of an AT. They lubricate as well as regulate heat diffusion and shift control.

All this being said, ATF and MTF experience a ridiculous amount of heat, friction and overall abuse. ANY mechanic or even an old lady that flipped through the service manual of her new camry can tell u that they have to be changed. This guy is......misinformed.

Comment

Trans fluid should be replaced at the required intervals.

I suspect what he means, is that the trans fluid should only be replaced with what was specified by the manufacturer.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

A few people on here have performed a tranny flush on their cars and the trannys died a week later.

Comment

you never want to do a TRANNY FLUSH on a 92 honda acccord

what you want to do is a "DRAIN AND FILL" basically, an oil change

a tranny flush, is basically machine operated, and its like having the motor in running conditions pull the drain plug, and at the same time pour in new oil
              repeat the process until fluid comes out clean
              Originally posted by deevergote
              Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

You just have to use that Honda fluid man! My auto tranny has 10000 miles of pulling cars on a dolly and alot of other heavy shit under its belt and its held up well to the abuse of my lead foot thanks to Honda fluid. Its expensive, but its worth it over installing a new tranny.

Comment

lol change ur fluid. if u never have QUICK GO OUTSIDE AND CHANGE IT NOW with honda ATF or MTF ( i use Royal Purple Synchromax and couldnt tell the difference btwn that and honda MTF. )
                  frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

I've got Redline MTL right now in my 5spd. But it still didn't get rid of the 3rd gear grind. I'm going to try GM Syncromesh next since I've seen a lot of people had success w/ that in Honda manuals and the 3rd gear grinding issues.

member's ride thread
                    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                    91 Accord SE 176k
                    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

i dont think this guy was misinformed about using the right fluid to specs..i think he just meant changing your tranny fluid is bad because it takes out some sort of shit or something...i knew right off the bat it was bogus. i just wanted to see some input on this theory..and so far everyone here and myself know fluid changes at certain intervals is good...and that this so called mechanic is a tool lol. i wonder where he got his license from

Comment

Originally posted by carps_accord View Post
                        i dont think this guy was misinformed about using the right fluid to specs..i think he just meant changing your tranny fluid is bad because it takes out some sort of shit or something...i knew right off the bat it was bogus. i just wanted to see some input on this theory..and so far everyone here and myself know fluid changes at certain intervals is good...and that this so called mechanic is a tool lol. i wonder where he got his license from
                        Sadly, many "mechanics" know nothing more than how to change parts and really don't understand how half of those parts even work. These are the same people who straight-pipe their dual-oxygen-sensor vehicles, reinstall the o2 sensors and then wonder why it runs worse than before.
                        My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Got to love those retard mechanics. I like the way some of those people at advance auto think they know everything about cars and shit hahahah.

Comment

Originally posted by Shag Wagon View Post
                            Got to love those retard mechanics. I like the way some of those people at advance auto think they know everything about cars and shit hahahah.
                            They drive me absolutely crazy sometimes, trying to sell me Bosch instead of NGK plugs, etc. I favor AutoZone lately.
                            My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Guy at autozone LOL

A guy at autozone told me I didn't want to remove all my spark plug wires at the same time. When I asked him "why, I know the fireing order?", he said, its not that, its the routing of the wires....and you should only do that when pulling the entire motor...

Oh and he knew it was a honda...

People make my brain hurt.

EDIT: Oh and a guy at schucks told me that a plugs heat range has no affect on idle or cold start. I said I was pretty sure it did, and he replied, "kid I have been doing this since before you were born." And in my mind I went, yep, and look how far you made it.
                              Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 02-20-2010, 02:20 PM.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X