Oil advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil advice

So I know that the standard oil type that you're supposed to use is 5w-30, but I've also read that synthetic oil is thinner than conventional oil. So if I'm using synthetic oil in my car, should I use a little heavier oil, like 10w-40?

Members Ride Thread: LX ~ EX ~ For Sale Thread

Sold to: accord=inspire? ~ Accord214 ~ Raf99 ~ daheavyking ~ OHOYAMA ~ JunyAccord ~ CBsevenTUNER

Bought from: Joshy ~ TypeG ~ agol ~ 92smokeaccord ~ Extacee ~ mak ~ lindiz ~ illestatus ~ F20A CB7 ~ accord=inspire? ~ marcusv8thunder

it is not thinner...you can get thinner (lower viscosity)...synthetic has smaller molecules. I have heard of folks switching to synthetic then going to a lower viscosity...I would not but in theory

It also has superior protection and longevity. It costs more initially but after 15,000 miles it saves you money. You buy 5quarts, change filter only at 5000, top off oil, change filter after another 5000 miles, top off oil, after another 5000 (15,000 total) change filter and all the oil.

The oil analysis I have seen following this method show the oil to still be protecting even at 15,000 with these oil filter change top offs...and that was with the fake synthetic mobile 1
    ____

Comment

The synthetics tend not to change viscosity as much as regular oil, so it doesn't get as thick at low temperatures or as thin at high temperatures. Only reason to go to a thicker oil might be for a high mileage engine in which the bearings are worn and the clearances are bigger.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
        it is not thinner...you can get thinner (lower viscosity)...synthetic has smaller molecules. I have heard of folks switching to synthetic then going to a lower viscosity...I would not but in theory

It also has superior protection and longevity. It costs more initially but after 15,000 miles it saves you money. You buy 5quarts, change filter only at 5000, top off oil, change filter after another 5000 miles, top off oil, after another 5000 (15,000 total) change filter and all the oil.

The oil analysis I have seen following this method show the oil to still be protecting even at 15,000 with these oil filter change top offs...and that was with the fake synthetic mobile 1
        So Mobile 1 is a fake synthetic? What synthetic oil would you use?

Sold to: accord=inspire? ~ Accord214 ~ Raf99 ~ daheavyking ~ OHOYAMA ~ JunyAccord ~ CBsevenTUNER

Bought from: Joshy ~ TypeG ~ agol ~ 92smokeaccord ~ Extacee ~ mak ~ lindiz ~ illestatus ~ F20A CB7 ~ accord=inspire? ~ marcusv8thunder

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          The synthetics tend not to change viscosity as much as regular oil, so it doesn't get as thick at low temperatures or as thin at high temperatures. Only reason to go to a thicker oil might be for a high mileage engine in which the bearings are worn and the clearances are bigger.
          I do have some noises coming from my main bearing and I'm sitting at just over 175,000 miles. I'm not %100 on the condition of the motor when I bought it or wether it was abused or not. Would it be better if I did switch to a thicker oil?

Comment

5w-30 synthetic Blend!

This is what you want to use! This is what your car is designed to use!!
            Stay in School and learn it the correct way....

• Airframe Certification
            • Powerplant Certification
            • EPA Universal certification
            • Gas Welding
            • Starting and Ignition Systems
            • Hydraulic and Pneumatic Systems
            • Engine Maintenance
            • Composites
            • Alternators
            • Batteries
            • Exhaust Systems
            • Sheet Metal
            • High Volume Low Pressure Painting
            • Electronic Systems
            • Rigid/Flexible Fluid lines
            • Tool Calibration
            • Cooling Systems
            • Hand/Power Tools
            • Troubleshooting• Safety

Comment

Originally posted by rocketman_471 View Post
              I do have some noises coming from my main bearing and I'm sitting at just over 175,000 miles. I'm not %100 on the condition of the motor when I bought it or wether it was abused or not. Would it be better if I did switch to a thicker oil?
              id goto 20-50...
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by Accord93RR View Post
                5w-30 synthetic Blend!

Very subtle! As of right now I'm using 5w-30 Mobile 1 synthetic. Good? Bad?
                Last edited by rocketman_471; 09-26-2010, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                  id goto 20-50...
                  What?

Comment

if his main bearing is makin noise why not?
                    old school trick i swear lol "my car is tickin" "put some thicker oil in it thatll fix it" and it usually does lol
                    -Tyler

Comment

Originally posted by rocketman_471 View Post
                      So Mobile 1 is a fake synthetic? What synthetic oil would you use?
                      That info on mobile 1 was from a few years ago, and I forget that I do not have ALL the info on it so I usually try not to bring it up for that reason.

They may have changed...but I doubt it. Something to do with the base they used, was not REALLY synthetic grade. It WAS/IS a good oil...but as far as fully synthetics it is not the best...and I mean among equally priced ones...not like royal purple or amsoil or torco...which are higher cost and higher quality.

I use castrol syntec myself. Course I have also heard that you have to buy a SPECIALLY produced castrol syntec to have FULL synthetic...again...dealing with the base they use...but from what I recall it outperformed mobile 1...so I use it. Do not quote me on all that because I can not give you hard data...while I could dig some up I will not.

Originally posted by Accord93RR View Post
                      5w-30 synthetic Blend!

You assume everyone drives their car in the environment you do...cars sold in Australia have different oil needs than those sold in Texas, U.s., or the midwest...same for those sold in Alaska U.S. ...or Main U.S.

And do not waste your money on blends. Get either conventional or full synthetic. You are paying full synthetic prices but only getting conventional grade...what a waste.

Full synthetic...it is better all around in almost every single situation.
                      Last edited by bcjammerx; 09-27-2010, 01:00 AM.
                      ____

Comment

Keep in mind oils have viscosity index improvers, aka VII's. The broader the range in your oil, the great the number of VII's and the longer these particles are. The more and longer VII's are more prone to shearing at high temps. Synthetics have less VII's usually, and oils like Amsoil have no shearing issues. For our sake though, keep the range as low as possible while still having enough viscosity for high temperatures. In almost all cases, the stock recommended is best for a stock to lightly modified engine. Increasing compression and thermal efficiency of the engine will call for a different oil.
                        There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm pretty sure I know what to do.

Comment

Working...
                          X