Crack in Exhaust Manifold F22A1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crack in Exhaust Manifold F22A1

I found this recently on my fixer upper 91 CB7. It looks as though there's a crack between cyl 3 and 4 on the exhaust manifold. I didn't think it was that bad but now I'm thinking its causing my poor acceleration and performance. It seems as though the car has no power when you initially step on the gas and bogs down, but then it finally picks up at about 3k RPM.

Since this crack is before the o2 sensor, will this cause bad mileage and driveability? I can hear exhaust gases sputtering out of there behind the heatshield.

I do have an 92-96 H22 2-1 aftermarket downpipe thats in okish shape, would an A4 manifold bolt right up to that?

I'm trying to keep costs as economical as possible since the whole purpose of buying this car was to flip it for a profit, but I want to make it run normally.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

I can't condone it but.... JB Weld.

The "What have you fixed with JB weld" Thread in OT. Somebody JB welded a manifold and it held.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Generic 4-2-1 Headers off ebay work fine and are around $50 shipped.

Welding or JB welding a cracked exhaust manifold usually results in it just cracking further, never really seen anyone have much success in this dept.
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

what you should do is drill a little bit at the end of the crack to stop it from cracking you dont have to go all the way, then get it welded.

If its leaking air and its before the o2 sensor, the o2 will think its running lean and richen up the motor.

Im not sure about jb weld on exhaust manifolds. But exhaust manifolds are pretty common at the junk yards. Especially the a1/a4.
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Welding cast iron is tricky, and therefore expensive
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
            what you should do is drill a little bit at the end of the crack to stop it from cracking you dont have to go all the way, then get it welded.

If its leaking air and its before the o2 sensor, the o2 will think its running lean and richen up the motor.

Im not sure about jb weld on exhaust manifolds. But exhaust manifolds are pretty common at the junk yards. Especially the a1/a4.
            ^ this

i went through it, just be safe and get the ebay header in the mean time, just have a shop cut off the heatshield mount points and weld them on the new header unless you want to waste perfectly fine heat wrap on shitty header.
            Originally posted by scudweiser
            it will go vrooooooom bauggggghhhh mmmmmmaauuugggg. Still no mmmmmbAAAAAAAUUUHHHHHHH though.
            Do you have anything intelligent to offer, or are you just trying to whore up your post count?

Comment

yeah i'm trying find one locally on CL but no one seems to have any accords parting out.

I was considering welding it, but wasn't sure about the material, it looks pretty rough (cast).

the problem is finding another A1 manifold that doesn't have a crack.

member's ride thread
              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

have you checked your junkyards in arizona? Here I only seen one out of 20 that are cracked.
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Might wanna fix that quick, this is why my head blew in my old CB.
                  -Will

Comment

Every CB I've seen has this crack. Both of mine did. I doubt its your problem.
                    wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                      Every CB I've seen has this crack. Both of mine did. I doubt its your problem.
                      lol everyone I seen doesnt have a crack LOL

Retro!

Hater

Comment

yeah I found one thankfully. Some guy locally in Tempe, AZ had one. My temp tags on the car expire on the 15th, TODAY! haha, so I gotta go get this thing emissioned. It cost me 25 bucks but in the process I solved another problem with the car. Apparently there are two relays in the front d/s of the engine compartment that control the radiator and condensor fans, those were jerry rigged into having the rad. fan hardwired on the entire time, which was why the engine kept getting hotter during slow speed cruising (~10mph), condensor fan never turned on. He gave me those two relays and printed up an Alldata wiring diagram, which I didn't need, just plugged and play and both fans now turn on like normal. I would've never thought to look there, so I might've had to pay a little more for the header, but I got two relays for free and a free diag. from an ASE tech.

I also found out why it was lacking so much power, due to the timing being WAY off. I advanced the dizzy all the way CCW and the red mark still isn't lining up. But it does have a lot more power now and doesn't backfire out the intake so thats good. But I'm thinking I must be a tooth off on the timing belt. Eh, if it passes emissions then it should be good right?
                        Last edited by Losiracer2; 02-15-2011, 06:09 AM.

member's ride thread
                        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                          yeah I found one thankfully. Some guy locally in Tempe, AZ had one. My temp tags on the car expire on the 15th, TODAY! haha, so I gotta go get this thing emissioned.

I found out why it was lacking so much power, due to the timing being WAY off. I advanced the dizzy all the way CCW and the red mark still isn't lining up. But it does have a lot more power and doesn't backfire out the intake now so thats good. But I'm thinking I must be a tooth off on the timing belt. Eh, if it passes then it should be good right?
                          they might give you shit for having your timing off, i had to swap out my A6 cam for the A4 one cus i didn't pass the first time around for this simple fact.
                          Originally posted by scudweiser
                          it will go vrooooooom bauggggghhhh mmmmmmaauuugggg. Still no mmmmmbAAAAAAAUUUHHHHHHH though.
                          Do you have anything intelligent to offer, or are you just trying to whore up your post count?

Comment

+-2 from factory specs with base timing set. If your within that limit you are good

Jump the blue plug to check base timing. See where you are at. Maybe you couldn't get the timing where you want it cause you didn't put it in base timing

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                              I also found out why it was lacking so much power, due to the timing being WAY off. I advanced the dizzy all the way CCW and the red mark still isn't lining up. But it does have a lot more power now and doesn't backfire out the intake so thats good. But I'm thinking I must be a tooth off on the timing belt. Eh, if it passes emissions then it should be good right?
                              Physical timing is off, timing belt was not set properly. Redo the belt and reset base ignition timing, dizzy base should be near middle of slot. Then, make sure base idle is set properly afterwards.

My thoughts on cheapest fix for your F22a1 exhaust manifold is to replace it with a better condition OEM F22a1 or F22a4 exhaust manifold assembly.

I'm also guessing the manifold welds could have fractured due to excessive heat from ignition timing being off. Just a guess...
                              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Working...
                              X