starts then dies and stuck in park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starts then dies and stuck in park

My 91 accord starts then dies just as quick, with the in the on position it wont shift from park unless i put the key in the shift lock.. last night it did the same thing so i ran it through the gears and it started.. no such luck today.. Any help would be awesome..

try checking under your brake pedal area and see if the brake light switch stop is still intact.

What happens is sometimes the plastic stop that the switch rests against when you apply the brake, gets old and breaks, thus not allowing the park switch to release since its brake activated.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Shift solenoid may be bad. TCU isn't throwing codes? No D4 and P light on?

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
        Shift solenoid may be bad. TCU isn't throwing codes? No D4 and P light on?
        If it is a 91 it has the S light, IIRC. I think the 92 93s the D4 light flashes.

Comment

Originally posted by dhill_cb7 View Post
          If it is a 91 it has the S light, IIRC. I think the 92 93s the D4 light flashes.
          You are correct good sir. Forgot it was a 91. Good catch!

Comment

i have a hard time thinking the shifter being locked is the reason the engine dies after a second.

As far as the shifter goes though, take your center console off and step on the brake. Do you hear a click or see the solenoid move at all?

Comment

Originally posted by 93accordexcoupe View Post
              i have a hard time thinking the shifter being locked is the reason the engine dies after a second.

As far as the shifter goes though, take your center console off and step on the brake. Do you hear a click or see the solenoid move at all?
              I agree, I think he has multiple problems possibly. I would assume a vacuum leak, ignitor, rotor, dizzy cap, and a few other things could be responsible for the stall issue.

I'm just trying to get his shifter out of park first.

First diagnose what is missing from the engine requirements of air/fuel/compression and ignition. If it turns over it has compression.

Comment

Thanks for all the thoughts after running a few test come to find that the on position on the ignition has no power... So i have replaced the ignition key switch... Problem solved. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X