Air Conditioning Retrofit During Swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Conditioning Retrofit During Swap?

In about a month I will be starting my H22 swap. My Air Conditioning needs to be either recharged or retrofitted to R-134.

I would like your opinions on what I could do with the A/C. I looked over the DIY A/C retrofit and it doesn't seem to bad except for all the items that are needed to do it. I guess a plus would be is that I would have everything to do future A/C jobs.

I was also thinking about taking it to a local A/C place that still does R12 and have the system checked and recharged as needed. Being 20yrs old, I'm not sure how well the system is sealing. I do get semi cold air so I don't think there is a leak but who knows.

Also, would it be recommended to just replace the Compressor, the Dryer and whatever else I can replace with new parts for Longevity or does it really just require new seals. My A/C turns on and blows semi cold air so the system seems to function properly but want it to blow colder.

Thanks in advance

May i reccommend es-12a from AutoRefrigerants.com it is a direct replacement for r-12 and it cools just as good if not better. No need to retrofit
    visit vgruk

Comment

You sure can. I read a brief thing on here about autorefrigerants.com but I was overloaded with info at that moment. I will check that out.

Comment

they are they best and ive done a lot of research. my ac system used to leak out about every 3 months. its been 8 months since ive recharged my system and it's still blowing cold! also even if it does still leak the cans are so cheap i would not even care.

feel free to call those guys...i did and they will answer all your questions. also, read the FAQ's. let me know how it works out if you do go with that stuff.
        visit vgruk

Comment

I retrofitted my ac 7 years ago. I got most of my parts from ackits.com. I would recommend a new compressor or you can get one from a 94-97 accord. I flushed my system. Today I would get a new condenser and a evaporator(the thing under the dash). A new dryer as well.
          Compressor will be 115 shipped from eBay. Condenser and evap should run 120. Drier should be about 15. I get my refrigerant from SAMs club it is 70 for 12 cans which is cheap.
          Or you could go used compressor and flush. Make sure to get new green orings for all the connections.
          Lastly the system was made for r-12. The expansion valve needs to be dialed back some. R12 is 3 turns and r134 is 7. Mine is set at 5. And it will freeze me out in the alabama summer.
          I typed this on my iPhone if something doesn't make sense. Sorry

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
            I retrofitted my ac 7 years ago. I got most of my parts from ackits.com. I would recommend a new compressor or you can get one from a 94-97 accord. I flushed my system. Today I would get a new condenser and a evaporator(the thing under the dash). A new dryer as well.
            Compressor will be 115 shipped from eBay. Condenser and evap should run 120. Drier should be about 15. I get my refrigerant from SAMs club it is 70 for 12 cans which is cheap.
            Or you could go used compressor and flush. Make sure to get new green orings for all the connections.
            Lastly the system was made for r-12. The expansion valve needs to be dialed back some. R12 is 3 turns and r134 is 7. Mine is set at 5. And it will freeze me out in the alabama summer.
            I typed this on my iPhone if something doesn't make sense. Sorry

Steve.
            Could you elaborate on this a bit, please?
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

If you get a compressor from a 94-97 Accord and you have a Denso unit currently, get the Hadsys bracket as well, the 5 groove vbelt pully will work with the 4groove CB7 belt. Also you will need the back plate from a Hadsys to retrofit the 94-97 Hadsys or the high pressure line from the 94-97 Accord. You will also need to replace the dryer when doing a retrofit, and it cannot be open or exposed for an hour to ambient air or it is garbage.

Stoner51, do you have an aftermarket expansion valve? The one on my accord is a solid body with no adjustment:

Also you make no mention of pulling a vacuum prior to charge and this is VERY important.
              Last edited by wildBill83; 11-29-2012, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Jarrett
                The expansion valve is calibrated to allow a certain amount of coolant. R12 does not expand as much as r134 hence this is why when you retrofit you can only refill to 80% or so. Our system was originally designed for r12 the components are made for that refrigerant.
                You can buy an expansion valve for r12 it has a hex head on the inside of it. R 12 is 3 turns and r 134 is 7 turns. Since we have a hybrid system when we convert to 134. I chose to start at 5 turns and it cools a lot better. At 7 turns I was getting too much coolant in the evaporator and my cooling sucked. I backed it of to 5 turns and it works great. 44 degree vent temps.
                Now prob if you put a parallel flow condensor you could maybe run it at 7.
                I went to a jy and took apart the ac system the screw was 3 turns. I replaced the expansion valve when I redid my ac again this year after the compressor clutch went out. It was 7 turns.
                Then we had a patient in the office who told me all this. He owns an ac shop.
                For whatever reason. It works

Steve.

wildbill
                on the inside of the big part(sorry to sound stupid) there is a screw. Yes I pulled a vac and let it sit overnight and charged in to the vacuum.

its tough to see but there is a screw in there.
                Last edited by Stoner51; 12-02-2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

I'll have to look for a newer expansion valve next trip to the jy... I'll bet an accord with a R134a system will have an expansion valve I can use. My air is cool, but not ice cold. Good thing I have a spare drier laying around still sealed. Thanks for the expanation Stoner51.

Comment

Where does the turns start at??

Is it the beginning of threads and turn-in what ever the turns?

Or, you turn-in all the way, and turn-out what ever the turns. Just like adjusting idle mixture of carburetors?
                    A&P-IA

Comment

I don't mean to derail, but my question seems relevant and the OP seems satisfied.

Originally posted by ryandavis33 View Post
                      May i reccommend es-12a from AutoRefrigerants.com it is a direct replacement for r-12 and it cools just as good if not better. No need to retrofit
                      My A/C does not operate; I've tested the A/C pressure switch, and it is not turning on, which I believe means I am low on fluid or have a leak somewhere. I was going to retrofit to R-134a, but I noticed ES-12a a while back. Given the state of my system, could I just measure the hi and low side pressure, fill up with ES-12a and be done? Or is it likely I'll need to fix some seals/gaskets somewhere from the A/C having not worked in a good while?

Comment

reklipz: I recommend taking the compressor off and opening it to see what state it is in. When we opened Jarrett's someone had tried to retrofit his system but did not flush R12 from it and his compressor was full of the dreaded goop. I would plan on replacing all seals and flushing before you spend money on refridgerants.

A side note: es-12a is close to propane and not legal in all states due to flamability, just a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                          reklipz: I recommend taking the compressor off and opening it to see what state it is in. When we opened Jarrett's someone had tried to retrofit his system but did not flush R12 from it and his compressor was full of the dreaded goop. I would plan on replacing all seals and flushing before you spend money on refridgerants.

A side note: es-12a is close to propane and not legal in all states due to flamability, just a heads up.
                          Wrong
                          From the website:
                          Enviro-Safe™ Refrigerant is flammable to an open flame but has an autoignition temperature of 1,585F (which is 1000F higher than that of 134a)! It is rated as a Flammable Gas. Flammable products are used every day within the household, business and in automobiles. Hair Spray = Flammable 3, Gasoline = Flammable 4, Propane = Flammable 4. Enviro-Safe™ Refrigerant = Flammable 2 and can be used safely in automobiles just like other flammable automotive products required for vehicle operation. All flammable products require your respect, adequate precaution and safe use practices. Follow all directions on the can or label and use basic common sense :-)
                          visit vgruk

Comment

You're right ... I was thinking of Freeze12. My bad ... that shiz is flamable and illegal in most states... even Texas ...

Freeze12 has been known to catch on fire on small interior leaks and also in car accidents.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                              You're right ... I was thinking of Freeze12. My bad ... that shiz is flamable and illegal in most states... even Texas ...

Freeze12 has been known to catch on fire on small interior leaks and also in car accidents.
                              ouch. that might be why you have to own a license to buy it
                              visit vgruk

Comment

Working...
                              X