No announcement yet.

mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So basically you are unhappy with your mileage even if it got what it was suppose to from the factory? What do you consider good mpg? You might be able to bump the car up to the mid thirties, but if you want Prius style economy then you need to get a Prius. Short of installing a complete hybrid drivetrain you wont be seeing huge numbers from our cars.

Comment

BMW never made a V6.

Comment

I drive a 90 EX 4 door and get 30 mpg. And Im gonna tune it soon, its gonna go up.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          BMW never made a V6.
          You can tell his information is just all over the place, some here and there some in the land of oz.

Originally posted by Shadow1992 View Post
          So basically you are unhappy with your mileage even if it got what it was suppose to from the factory? What do you consider good mpg? You might be able to bump the car up to the mid thirties, but if you want Prius style economy then you need to get a Prius. Short of installing a complete hybrid drivetrain you wont be seeing huge numbers from our cars.
          Cheaper better solution get an HF crx or do an HF (d15b6) swap in a ef sedan/hatch, easy 40mpg.

02 Crv
          02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
          92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
          Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

I'm getting right around 26MPG in my 93 SE sedan (F22A6 automatic) with just over 210,000 miles on it combined city/highway. My wife (in the same car) gets about 25MPG. That has to do with driving style. The engine/drivetrain is well maintained.

My wife's Del Sol gets 28-30 (D16Z6 automatic)

My LX gets right around 29MPG (30-31 if it's over 75% highway on the tank) and that has a newly rebuilt H22A1 and a fairly new rebuilt Accord 5 spd trans.

An automatic transmission will cost you at least 2 or 3 MPG in a 20 year old vehicle. They have come a long way with torque converter technology since then. Hills or a heavy foot can cost you another 2 or 3, poor maintenance can cost even more. Even having my Yakima roof mounted bike rack installed cost me 3MPG (that was proven over 3 tankfuls).

Your biggest factors will be regular tuneups and oil changes and other regular maintenance. High concentrations of ethanol (E85 and the like) in your gas will drop your fuel mileage as ethanol is less efficient than gasoline.

"Factory Fresh", as you put it, our cars were competitive with other vehicles in their class. You can't compare an Accord with a Corolla or a Sentra, since they are different classes of vehicle. Nor can you compare a 20 year old sedan/wagon with a comparable 5-10 year old vehicle. Great strides have been made in engine/drivetrain efficiency since our cars were designed and built.
            Originally posted by Junior Smurff
            Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

There isn't much to improve over the PT3 or PT6 ECUs. They're pretty damn good from the factory (unlike the P13... replaced my P13 with a properly tuned P28, and I gained 5mpg.)

A healthy F22A on a CB7 with properly maintained brakes and suspension, that isn't carrying any significant weight, has no body modifications or damage that increase drag, and that is running stock wheels and stock-equivalent tires should get anywhere between 23 and 32mpg with normal driving. 25-28mpg is normal for a CB these days.

It is not a design flaw. It cannot be compared to smaller engines, lighter cars, or engines that vary considerably.

Compare the CB7 to the Camry, Galant, Stanza/Altima, Legacy, 626, Corsica, Passat, Lebaron/Acclaim/Spirit.
              You'll find that the CB7 is very likely among the top of the list.

Comment

Your coworker is not getting his or her suggested claims. Period.

Also, to generalize the '90-'93 Accord engine offerings into one that has 135hp is also wrong. In the US and Canada alone there were three offerings and they had 125hp, 130hp and 140hp. Yet another data issue on your part.

Your car should be getting better gas mileage than it does. This has already been said but you seem to be ignoring it. They usually get even better than the original rating so I don't know where your data is coming from that states everyone else is seeing 23mpg highway. Your argument and evidence to back it is just flawed so this discussion needs to take a pause until you've figured out why your car isn't getting even its advertised economy, much less what those of us usually get. I was getting about 31mpg with a 5-speed F22A6 in my EX coupe. I tore the engine down completely aside from the rotating assembly because the cylinder walls were good. I replaced the headgasket, rebuilt the head, changed every gasket and seal and reinstalled it. That figure is also with no A/C as my car's previous owner tried to run R-134a in an R-12 system and locked the compressor. Had a been driving an F22A1 with it's even taller 5th gear I would have been getting even better fuel economy.

Do a compression test, change your plugs (and the tube seals as well since they're likely leaking), change the rotor, cap and wires, adjust your valves, replace the timing belt, fuel and air filter and see how you do. Maybe you need a new oxygen sensor as well. You don't own every F22A so don't worry about what the rest of them get. Maximize the mileage of yours with regular maintenance and decide from there whether it is good enough for your needs.
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by hotrodj View Post
                  I drive a 90 EX 4 door and get 30 mpg. And Im gonna tune it soon, its gonna go up.
                  There we go , some constructive conversation. Let me know what your final numbers are and what you have to fix/replace.

I now understand why most people say the corolla and accord are not comparable....

.......considering the accord is a 4 cyl 4 door car and the corolla is a v8 pickup truck.......

Comment

My 92 EX 5 speed gets 32 mpg all highway driving.

h311ra151n (doesn't come around much anymore) but just today I was with him and he got a true 37.2 mpg from the last tank in his 93 LX 5 speed. 465 miles on exactly 12.5 gallons. And his 91 EX automatic gets 31 mpg highway. Both he takes extremely good care of.

If you have it tuned up real nice and drive it easy it will get good mpg. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMPA View Post
                      If you have it tuned up real nice and drive it easy it will get good mpg. Simple as that.
                      Hah , if it was as simple as that they would have got 37.2 mpg from the factory.

Although this is the first encouraging news I've heard in a while. Gotta figure out what he did to get that mpg.

Comment

Should the Accord get the same gas mileage as a Civic?

Comment

http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/accord/gas%20l4/sedan

http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/civic/gas%20l4/sedan

http://ecomodder.com/
                          Last edited by oyajicool; 06-11-2013, 03:16 PM.
                          A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by emosun View Post
                            Hah , if it was as simple as that they would have got 37.2 mpg from the factory.

Although this is the first encouraging news I've heard in a while. Gotta figure out what he did to get that mpg.
                            Hes got the following : H23 intake manifold and A6 runners, A6 camshaft, PT6 ecu, Maxspeed intake tube, K and N cone filter, Megan Header wraped in Dei Ti wrap, Megan test pipe, and generic ebay catback with an Obx resonator. I might be forgetting something but thats most of it at least. The big shocker to me is it just rolled over 370,000 miles with out ever having the engine or transmission rebuilt.

He also uses factory honda parts when he does tune ups. It might also have to do with him being so low too, he got neuspeed super cup kit and on the bottom rings. I would say hes at least 3"+ lower than stock. Maybe more aerodynamic? Less drag?

He tells me its nothing special, to drive the speed limit, 5 speed transmission, do tune ups with good parts and keep good tire pressure.

Losiracer2 I think thats how you spell it, and im pretty sure its him, has done some mods that gets him upper 30s without driving like h31ra151n does. A lot of members here are getting good mileage like mid 30s. hellraisin isnt the only one by far.

Comment

Try different brands of gas. With Arco (lower quality) I get 24 MPG with Cheveron (Higher Quality) I got 28 MPG. Keep in mind I just started using Cheveron and do not have enough data to say 28 is average, but it goes up with the more you spend a gallon. Also I have an agressive style of driving and its consistant.
                              Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
                                Try different brands of gas. With Arco (lower quality) I get 24 MPG with Cheveron (Higher Quality) I got 28 MPG. Keep in mind I just started using Cheveron and do not have enough data to say 28 is average, but it goes up with the more you spend a gallon. Also I have an agressive style of driving and its consistant.
                                This reminds me, we also use only Shell 87 or 89 octane, which ever one they have but we get the cheapest. I noticed 2.5 mpg more using it over Conoco, Walmart and Kum & Go.

Comment

Working...
                                X