Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power steering pump high pressure hose o-ring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power steering pump high pressure hose o-ring.

I just replaced the pump. The two bolts holding the high pressure hose to the pump on the top with specs 8lb-ft torque specs and I have them at that. But it's leaking slowly out of there. The o-ring looks in good shape but I think that is what causing the leak. Where could I find the o-ring replacement? Or should I torque it down more b/c I am afraid it will snap the bolts as they are as tight as I could get them.
    Anyone has experience with this problem?

Thanks.

the O-ring is doing the sealing, the bolts just hold it there. Don't tighten them down too hard. Sounds like you need a new O-ring... if you dont have an assortment to pick a new one out of (11mm diameter by 1.9mm thickness), just get one from the dealer: 91370-SM4-004

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

For the diameter, is that internal or external diameter of the o-ring?
      Thanks.
      Last edited by Bad_dude; 02-14-2015, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Bought the o-ring for $5 from the dealer. Replaced it. When putting the bolts back on, one of the two snapped. Ah. If I can't remove the broken bolt I might have to buy a new pump. So far it's not leaking but I have driven it that much lately. I moved the car around a bit and turning the wheels some what. No leak so far at the line. Should I be ok with just one bolt?
        Thanks.

Comment

I'm not an engineer, so I don't really know, but I imagine the pump vibrates a good deal mounted on the engine. If it doesn't leak, you'll have your answer. If it does, it'll be annoying.

I've removed my pump a few times, I don't recall the bolts being that tight. With a 5-6 inch handle 1/4" driver it's just snug. You said you were getting them down 'tight as you could get them', what were you using to do this?

I'm surprised the bolt snapped before the aluminum threads tore out - if the bolt is sticking out then vise grip it out. I'd probably try and drill it out if it's in the hole and retap something larger in place because it's not worth a drive to the junkyard (an hour away+buying a pump) to fix.

It's good policy to use the right torque specs but this isn't one of those critical times - just snug it down evenly and if it feels wrong it probably is.

Comment

Do not run for a long period of time on one bolt. Never pass up an opportunity to buy a new tool. If you can't grip the broken bolt, get a bolt extractor.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
            X