Possible TCU Issue (Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible TCU Issue (Video)

Just looking for some opinions on an issue I'm having. I'm pretty certain it's a TCU issue.

1993 Accord EX, 219,000.

I apologize for the radio in the background. I did this on the fly.

Transmission fluid looks and smells great and is at the proper level, I know it's Genuine Honda ATF as I verified that the car was exclusively serviced by Honda for years before I acquired it. Removed both shift solenoids, both are clean and test good. When the lights on the cluster indicate properly there are no issues and the transmissions shifts perfectly, not overly harsh and the torque converter locks exactly as designed. The shift cable is properly adjusted as I have adjusted it myself and checked it several times. The coolant temperature sensors are good and there are no CEL's what so ever nor is there ever a flashing D4 indicating an transmission code.

When the lights indicate as they do in the video the car starts out in 3rd (I believe) and stays there. If I manually place the transmission in 1st it will go to first gear but once I place the shifter in 2nd gear it goes straight to 3rd and won't shift out any further even with the shifter placed in D4. Eventually the indicator lights will read correctly and the car will shift properly. But occasionally it will error once more and the D4 light will turn off and no indicator lights will be on. This is when it comes in and out of working properly.

This happened twice since I've owned the car but only for a couple seconds. This is when I checked everything else out on the transmission, fluid, solenoids, and throttle cable tension. Today it did this and it stayed like this until about half way home as I limped it back to the house.

I suspect a faulty TCU and have a remaned replacement I'm looking at on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-93-HONDA-...afadcf&vxp=mtr

I have yet to determine the part number on the one in the car currently but that seller has several listings and 100% feedback, so needless to say I plan on buying a remaned replacement from them.

Just looking for you opinions! Thanks in advance everyone!

Thanks anyways everyone, was looking to see if anyone thought I was missing something. I've been thinking on it and it seems like a textbook TCU failure to me. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
      Thanks anyways everyone, was looking to see if anyone thought I was missing something. I've been thinking on it and it seems like a textbook TCU failure to me. Thanks again.
      Would a 90-91 TCU work?
      For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Comment

Nope, unfortunately not. I wish as one of those would be easier to find locally.

I guess $110 isn't too bad. Being as I only paid $1000 for the car.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
          Nope, unfortunately not. I wish as one of those would be easier to find locally.

I guess $110 isn't too bad. Being as I only paid $1000 for the car.
          well shoot, I may have a 90-91 TCU in the garage. I was going to give it to you if I could find it.
          For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Comment

Originally posted by BreckAConner View Post
            well shoot, I may have a 90-91 TCU in the garage. I was going to give it to you if I could find it.
            That's awful nice of you to offer.

Comment

If Breck doesn't find his, I have one from a 91 LX auto.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I'm fairly certain only a TCU from a 92/93 will work. But let me check.

Comment

You might have already tried this, but my uncle always told me that with anything electrical, clean it before deeming it useless.

So try cleaning it! 25 years of dirt and McDonalds french fries might be catching something. 0.02 spent.

Comment

I can remove the TCU from the car and check to see if there is anything burnt on the circuit board.

Comment

Working...
                    X