carbon fiber hood n trunk security....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carbon fiber hood n trunk security....

Im really a newb when it comes to carbon fiber products......i mean..i really want to get one installed for weight reduction..and of course looks... but how do you secure those things??? im saying..how do you prevent some dude from rippen you off in the parking lot? ??..i know some alarm systems have pressure pins that go off when the hood is released...is there another way you guys with carbon fiber keep it secure??..i wouldnt trust a CF hood in my hood :P..no pun intended.

a hood all u can really do is lockable hood pins they have special keys to unlock them.....i dont feel like finding a pic of them but there out there. thats about it for the hood. as for the trunk theres nothing except the regular lock. thats it. other than that all u can do is spend money on alarms that go off when someones to close but if thieves want your shit it doesnt matter how much security youll have. but the lockable hood pins that use actual keys are neat.

Comment

thanks ! sorry for dissin your civic

Comment

like this ..

Comment

these pins are cool too.

Comment

sweet...so whenever you buy a CF hood ..you get this lock n key set??? and also im guessing that each carbon fiber hood key is unique of course...i dunno..i figure im keeping my cb7 for the long haul..and i am gonna eventually invest in one...

Comment

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic
              sweet...so whenever you buy a CF hood ..you get this lock n key set??? and also im guessing that each carbon fiber hood key is unique of course...i dunno..i figure im keeping my cb7 for the long haul..and i am gonna eventually invest in one...
              well the hood doesnt come with them you have to buy a set. the first set that uses the keys are great....and yes all keys are differant just like a house key. but they get annoying to use if u pop your hood a lot. but not only do these help with theft but prevent the hood from flying up on the highway.....most c/f hoods have a fiberglass bottom (skeleton) and the latch on the hood will sometimes come right off at highway speeds (i have seen this happen 3 times) and the hood will fly up iand smash into your windshield.......so these keep the hood down if your latch feels.....but all c/f companies even vis say there c/f hoods and products are for "off road use" so when shit like that happens there ass is coverd. but yea all sets of keys are differanr and those first pins with the locks are your best bet. good luck and hope i helped.

Comment

helped a lot.

Comment

just paint the hood oem color, no one would suspect it
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                    just paint the hood oem color, no one would suspect it
                    yeah but it defeats the look cool purpose ...who wants to buy a carbon fiber hood and paint it oem..unless your going for ultra sleeper look.

Comment

Anyone yet adapted a stock-like hood latch to a CF hood?? Doing this as well as painting it your body color would bring less attention, like some of you said and IMO the hood latch (rather than pins) would secure the hood better. Do any of you with CF hood & pins have issues going down HWY and hood flopping?
                      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

I have both the stock latch and the pins on it. I have heard horror stories of these things ripping off the stock latch and smashing into the windshield. Just get one with a stock style latch and pin it down. THe added security never fails.

Comment

i've still yet to figure out why people think that an oem style carbon fiber hood is any more prone to theft than a stock hood. of course i've never seen a reason, just people who don't have carbon fiber hoods talking about what it could be like.

in any event, i've had a carbon fiber hood for over 4 years without any hood pins/locks/other b.s. and my hood's never flown up while driving on the freeway, and i haven't had anyone get under my hood.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

[QUOTE=uncle_el]i've still yet to figure out why people think that an oem style carbon fiber hood is any more prone to theft than a stock hood. of course i've never seen a reason, just people who don't have carbon fiber hoods talking about what it could be like.
                            QUOTE]

My only thought would be that the thief (if he knows the import scene) will think that the hood is a tip off that there is more under the hood, or there's something else special to the car.

It doesn't seem too many people just have a carbon fiber hood, and nothing else.

However if your point is the idea of the person just stealing the hood and leaving the car, then no I don't think it would be any more prone to theft than a stock hood, since stealing a hood is a lot different than stealing a radio per say.

Comment

My only thought would be that the thief (if he knows the import scene) will think that the hood is a tip off that there is more under the hood, or there's something else special to the car.

It doesn't seem too many people just have a carbon fiber hood, and nothing else.

However if your point is the idea of the person just stealing the hood and leaving the car, then no I don't think it would be any more prone to theft than a stock hood, since stealing a hood is a lot different than stealing a radio per say.
                              i'm not even sure i'd give a thief that much credit, lol.

again, i don't think a carbon fiber hood is any different, security wise, then a regular hood. hell, if anything, hood locks/pins make it easier to steal, since you don't have to try to get under the hood to access them.

i've just never understood why people don't talk about hood locks for stock hoods, yet people are worried about someone getting under the hood with a carbon fiber unit. the security issue is no different. that's not to say to not protect one's car, it's just to say the carbon fiber hood shouldn't be any easier to get past then a stock unit.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

Working...
                              X