91 dx wont start brand new dizzy, wires, and plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 dx wont start brand new dizzy, wires, and plugs

i have a 91 4dr dx. i have posted before about the ignition just shutting off and i got a brand new dizzy. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=31992 fixed all the problems. ran for only a month though. i was just driving nicley around town when it was just as if someone pulled the key from the ignition (same exact symtoms from before) this was back in early nov 2005. so i bought another BRAND NEW dizzy. Installed it thinking it would work. well from all the cranking the battery was dead. but still wouldnt start with a jump. so i took it to Advance auto and they charged it and said it was a good battery took it home and it cranked strong by itself but no start only cranked it like 5 times battery still strong. few hours later the battery was COMPLETLY dead no lights nothing. i jumped it (wouldnt crank strong) and tested to see if i had spark. i got one little arch and thats it nothing else after 5 cranks. then tryed again and got the LOUDEST back fire you would ever hear out of a honda accord. sounded like a gun going off next to your head. so can anyone who was nic enough to read this whole post please let me know what i could be i need my car its my only one and i can only borrow my girls car for so long.... PLEASE!!!

Are you getting fuel to the engine? Do you smell gas out of the tail pipe when you finish cranking the car?
    Check to hear if the fuel pump is coming on and pressurizing the system. There should be a short hum from the pump after u put the ignition on.

Also fully charge the battery again and then buy a can of starter fluid. Then spray the starter fluid into the intake manifold and then crank it again. If the car starts for a couple seconds and cuts off you have a problem with your fuel pump.

Comment

the fuel pump turns on can hear it huming. the car wouldnt backfire without the fuel would it? its just not getting spark. could that be becuase the battery isnt strong enough to get spark? and why would it backfire like that?

Comment

bump

Comment

back firing ... did you put the car back in timing when you changed the dizzy cause that will cause the car to back fire and also not start ...

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

Check Fuse #2 - 15 Amp for ECU/EFI Relay in Dash F/Box
            Check Fuse #24 - 7.5 Amp for ECU Back Up in Engine Bay F/Box.
            Check Ignition Switch.
            Check Security Control Unit if Fitted
            Check Integrated Control Unit
            Check Fuse #27 - 20 Amp for Ignition Switch in Engine bay F/Box.
            Check EFI Main Relay.
            Check Fuel Pump & Connection.
            Check Fuel Pump Ground (Behind Rear Seat)
            Check ECU Ground @ Thermo Housing Bolt.
            Remove & Check for Fouled Spark Plugs
            Reset the Ignition Timing to Specs with the Service Connector Bridged.

BTW: I hope you're not pumping the accelerator while cranking. It could be flooding and fueling the spark plugs.

Comment

something similar was happening to me on my H22... couldn't figure it out, and neither could the shop for a while.

Wound up being a bad engine ground. Replaced the main ground, and added a few more, and it's fine now. Doesn't stall in the middle of driving anymore

Comment

plugs are brand new wires are too and in the right places and timing was set correctly. thank you F22-GURU i will check those things and no im not pumping the gas.

Comment

ok i just put a new battery in and checked for spark. i am getting spark but it very slow once every 2 senconds maybe on one plug. what could this possibly be? it also sounds like the engine is cranking very fast. doesnt seem normal. anyone know whats up?

Comment

bump i need some help anyone have an idea? i want to make it to the april meet in NC

Comment

Originally posted by busychild0
                      it also sounds like the engine is cranking very fast. doesnt seem normal. anyone know whats up?
                      Just them two words changes the whole game.
                      Think about what has happened.

Engine Died as If Key Pulled Out.
                      Winding Over and Will Not Start (with a Weak Spark).
                      Battery Now Flat.
                      Getting Fuel Smell in Exhaust.
                      Massive Backfire.
                      Changed Battery and Cranks Very Fast.

Everyone of these symptoms leads to a Broken Timing Belt. Pull the Timing Belt Cover off and have a look for a damaged belt. Do a Engine Compression Test. Lets Hope you haven't bent the valves.

-The Guru-

Comment

god i ALMOST wish that was true. for the simple reason that we have found the problem. BUT! i changed the valve cover gasket and looked at the timeing belt thinking the same thing and it was fine in tact and in good condition.

Comment

but thanx F22-GURU i apperectiate your help.. and please let me know if you have any more good ideas. or at least just tell me im SOL if so. haha thanx man

Comment

I sorta have the same problem....my car was running one month, let it sit for a month(in which it rained a lot), and came back to find myself not able to start the car...I have the exact same problems, and a lot of stuff been replaced already.
                            My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

Originally posted by F22-GURU
                              Do a Engine Compression Test. Lets Hope you haven't bent the valves.

-The Guru-
                              Did you check compression.

Comment

Working...
                              X