Camber and alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camber and alignment

I think i know the answer to this. but id like more opinions.

I recently replaced the bushings in my upper control arm (in my G20). they are camber adjusting bushings, and im waiting until the weekend when i install the coilovers before i get an alignment and all that jaz. My question is, can camber affect the alignment of the car? i.e...make it pull hard to left? Mine is really bad, to the point my arms hurt by the time i got to work this morning.

hopefully i can make it through the rest of the week

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Originally posted by Accord R33

I recently replaced the bushings in my upper control arm (in my G20). they are camber adjusting bushings, and im waiting until the weekend when i install the coilovers before i get an alignment and all that jaz. My question is, can camber affect the alignment of the car? i.e...make it pull hard to left? Mine is really bad, to the point my arms hurt by the time i got to work this morning.

i thought bad camber wear was due to bad alignment, correct me if im wrong.
    Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

Originally posted by williamsvt
      i thought bad camber wear was due to bad alignment, correct me if im wrong.
      the only reason i have bad camber right now is because i have the equivilent of a "camber kit" on my car, and i havnt brought it to be proffesionally adjusted

Comment

Camber and Alignment are on two different axis'. Camber is the term used to describe the perpendicular relation of the wheel to the ground. Alignment is the term used to describe the parallel relation if the front wheels to eachother/chassis. Adjusting the height of the car will affect camber and alignment on most cars.
        1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Camber shouldn't have any affect on how hard your car pulls to the left or right, unless is was extremely off then it could possibly set your alignment off by just a tad, but not as bad as you described.
          My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

yes camber will screw up ur alignment, uneven camber will make car swerve left or right when let go pf steering will. uneven toe will eat up tire..................... learn from my experiences
            =my idea of classic JDM
            to my car page

Comment

Originally posted by maroonaccord2.2
              Camber and Alignment are on two different axis'. Camber is the term used to describe the perpendicular relation of the wheel to the ground. Alignment is the term used to describe the parallel relation if the front wheels to eachother/chassis. Adjusting the height of the car will affect camber and alignment on most cars.
              No such term as Alignment with regards to Steering Geometry Angles. Alignment refers to the Whole of the Steering/Chassis Geometry. What you are talking about is TOE IN or TOE OUT.
              Which will be affected by increasing Negative Camber due to Lowering.
              That's why it is critical to have a 4 Wheel Thrust Alignment Done after Lowering. It's the Rear end that points the front end in what direction the car should be travelling in a straight line.
              You can have Perfect Alignment of The Front End but the Car will still Pull if the Rear Toe is Out. Yes, even if the Car is a Front Wheel Drive.

Comment

And it will pull towards the more positive camber

Comment

why dont you just take it to sears and let them adjust the shits with a lazer and call it a day

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
                    why dont you just take it to sears and let them adjust the shits with a lazer and call it a day
                    so your opinion would be to take it to sears now, have them adjust everthing. and then in 5 days, take it back AGAIN and spend MORE money to have it realigned?

edit: i guess im not really looking for answers, i know i just have to bring it to a shop after the suspension install. i guess i just want to make sure the camber can in fact make my car pull left, and that its not something else i should be looking at.
                    Last edited by Accord R33; 03-06-2006, 07:42 PM.

Comment

so your opinion would be to take it to sears now, have them adjust everthing. and then in 5 days, take it back AGAIN and spend MORE money to have it realigned?

edit: i guess im not really looking for answers, i know i just have to bring it to a shop after the suspension install. i guess i just want to make sure the camber can in fact make my car pull left, and that its not something else i should be looking at.
                      I don't know much about alignment stuff, but I'd like to think that pulling is a bad alignment.

If you're gonna have an alignment done, NTB is the place to go. It's unlimited alignments for 3 years for under $140 if I remember right. I'll have to look at my paperwork and get back to you.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
                        I don't know much about alignment stuff, but I'd like to think that pulling is a bad alignment.
                        If you're gonna have an alignment done, NTB is the place to go. It's unlimited alignments for 3 years for under $140 if I remember right. I'll have to look at my paperwork and get back to you.
                        That's what I was thinking too initially. ^Thanks Mike, that's a good option Let us know about that.

Comment

Specifically ask for a "4 WHEEL THRUST ALIGNMENT". The rear needs to be Aligned before the Front can be adjusted to get satisfactory results.

Comment

Sounds like good advice....I would ask for a print-out to if they can provide one.
                            1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

alignment

yo just got to sears and get an alignment it is $64.99 for the front and back and they give you a print out when it is done. Takes about an hour to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X