When installing new tranny, do i need to replace set rings on axles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When installing new tranny, do i need to replace set rings on axles

I have removed my tranny and installed a new one. Now I am putting my axles back in. The manual says replace the set rings on the axles. Is that really necessary. These axles are only 2 to 3 years old. I personally don't see a good reason to replace them but figured i would ask. I also want to ask do I put grease on all the axle splines, including the intermediate shaft?

No you do not need to. Unless your axle keeps popping out.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
      No you do not need to. Unless your axle keeps popping out.
      what about putting grease on all the splines including the intermediate shaft and will high temp grease work or do i need to use another type grease?

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post

what about putting grease on all the splines including the intermediate shaft and will high temp grease work or do i need to use another type grease?
        No thats fine, I put a small amount of grease, just to keep the set ring in place and make it easier to slide in. But I have also done no grease as well, and neither results varied.
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

the splined tip of the axle ultimately runs inside of the oil-lubricated transmission. a little bit to pre-lube it is good but ultimately you dont technically need to grease anything that gets inserted beyond the axle seal (the rubber ring mounted to the transmission). Lubing the intermediate shaft is a good idea though.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
          X