Chipped Key or Kill Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chipped Key or Kill Switch

I've been wondering about this for a long time now but never came across anyone doing it. By that I mean retrofitting a chipped key. Someone on BAT just sold 1991 Honda Accord EX Coupe 5-Speed with 104K miles for $11,600 (if anyone cares) and there was a comment from another owner of a 92 EX who had his stolen and recovered. After it was recovered he "replaced it [ignition] with a gen 5 Prelude (chipped key)."

I've looked at numerous security options over the years and kept holding out for an aftermarket solution using a chipped key but never found one. So is this possible and if so has anyone here done it? My gut tells me it would be complex to wire up something like that...
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Why not just do a push button start with chip activation? (you hide the sensor that you have to touch the "chip" to).

Comment

It's a good alternative but I want to maintain a period correct OEM look...
      My Collection:

Comment

The immobilizer itself is item #1 and the entire ignition assembly is #5. Majestic still lists the entire assembly for sale on the site.

It is likely that the part will mate to the CB steering column, there would be the issue of wiring the system into the CB and how you would go about programming it and having the ignition keyed to your existing key set.
        http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Thanks for that really appreciate it!

I had a feeling the wiring would be the hardest part to figure out but nice to see it's doable.
          Now if only one of you guys took the plunge and documented it...

I'm pretty sure the key could be cut since I have the original with the key code and think the programming could be done by the dealer like any other key which is always pricey but possible right?

BTW which model year did you choose for the parts list or is the same for that entire gen?
          My Collection:

Comment

It seems simple enough as it's just the key that relies on the module in the steering rack? The key / module you buy will be programmed to each other I'll assume...

Comment

I used the 1999 for that diagram. It looks like there is some difference between the years. Majestic only lists 99-01 as having the entire assembly available. The part numbers also change in line with that availability, but I assume that they all fit the same. The site also shows that #1 (key and module only) are available for 99-01.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                It seems simple enough as it's just the key that relies on the module in the steering rack? The key / module you buy will be programmed to each other I'll assume...
                I think it is coded and a proximity kind of thing. I had to have mine recoded on my Acura daily and it needed to be programmed via the OBD2 port.

Comment

Working...
                X