• Show
Clear All

How Important are these parts:

How important are the
    Balljoints in the suspension
    Rear Engine mount
    ?

A little info on my car:
    Its a EX with a automatic tranny. Has 146k miles on it.

very important.
    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Re: How Important are these parts:

Originally posted by Boss2mc88
      How important are the
      Balljoints in the suspension
      Rear Engine mount
      ?

A little info on my car:
      Its a EX with a automatic tranny. Has 146k miles on it.
      Ball joints are very critical components in the suspension. If one were to break, you could lose control of the car and get hurt. I would get that fixed as soon as possible if a mechanic advised you to. The motor mount is less of a concern, its more of a vibration thing...as long as its still there and holding the engine in place.

Comment

If a ball joint breaks the wheel will appear as it though it 'folds back', and its its very easy to lose control of the car when that happens. If you are at any good speed other than slow rush hour traffic speed, you may as well as write off the car, as it will abruptly steer in the direction of the side of the broken ball joint.

Ask me how I know- my wife's (then girlfriend's) 84 Nissan 4x4 pickup had the passenger side balljoint fail when she was driving. She was fortunate that the truck did not roll as it went over a curb into a Taco Bell parking lot (smooshing 2 shrubs on the way).
        Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
        2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
        2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
        2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Imagine my delight when I removed my upper control arm, and the balljoint fell out. Te he he.

Comment

Re: Re: How Important are these parts:

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
            Ball joints are very critical components in the suspension. If one were to break, you could lose control of the car and get hurt. I would get that fixed as soon as possible if a mechanic advised you to. The motor mount is less of a concern, its more of a vibration thing...as long as its still there and holding the engine in place.
            I was just doing my normall inspection on my car and saw that my ball joints boot is cracked in half

Comment

Broken ball joints suck ass.

Comment

Listen to these guys on broken ball joints. I have had two friends in pick-up trucks have this prob and luckily they were the only ones on the road at the time. These were two separate instances of course out in the country roads. Anyways, one was going like 40 mph and it was the scariest thing that's happened to him, freaked him out.

Also, the rear engine mount is not as critical as the ball joint, if you're tight on money...get ball joint fixed first or do it yourself. The rear engine mount may cause your engine to jump up when you accelerate and it's not good for the engine to be moving, but it's not gonna put you in danger like the ball joint prob would.
                HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Working...
                X