Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to swap a driveshaft? FYI

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Need to swap a driveshaft? FYI

    Both sides for the CB7 are available from Honda again. For the last couple years only one side was available. I'm seeing both again now, albeit with a slightly higher price ($292 on Hondapartsnow.com).
    My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
    Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

    My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
    Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

    #2
    Is that remanufactured, or new? Pretty pricey. Majestic doesn't show them as available. Note: Left and right are the same axle for 5 speed cars.
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 12-12-2019, 01:29 PM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 389,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    07 Element EX AWD 193,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210623
    07 Element EX AWD AT (2) 89,000 - MRT: www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=211920

    LOTS of CB7 parts - ENTIRE COLLECTION - FREE
    Come and get it. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583

    Comment


      #3
      I'd assume they're new. Every part I've ever gotten from them was new, and there's nothing to indicate they're reman'ed.

      Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      Note: Left and right are the same axle for 5 speed cars.
      So which one is unique to the Automatic cars?
      Last edited by wtfisafleek; 12-12-2019, 05:13 PM.
      My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
      Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

      My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
      Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

      Comment


        #4
        Manual cars use the half shaft across the back of the engine block, the left axle plugs into that. On automatics, there is no half shaft; the axle goes all the way from the transmission housing to the knuckle. When you go to select parts on the site, you would have to select an automatic model to see the automatic (left) axles.

        In the past I have seen things like remanufactured brake calipers and steering racks on Honda part sites - they were identified as such.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 389,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        07 Element EX AWD 193,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210623
        07 Element EX AWD AT (2) 89,000 - MRT: www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=211920

        LOTS of CB7 parts - ENTIRE COLLECTION - FREE
        Come and get it. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          Note: Left and right are the same axle for 5 speed cars.
          That's not true. The inboard joint of the passenger side has a sealing surface that the driver's side doesn't have, and the overall length varies between the two sides by a little over a half inch

          Click for my Member's Ride Thread
          Originally posted by Stephen Fry
          'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
          Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

          Comment


            #6
            Ah yes I see now. I switched back to viewing the AT parts and there's a more expensive shaft that pops up now, $354. Looks like the only difference between the different part numbers for identical sides is the origin of manufacture.

            As far as differences in the MT driveshafts, if I remember correctly the splined ends differ as well. One side was splined the full length of the outer section, the other was splined maybe half of its length. I can confirm later.
            Last edited by wtfisafleek; 12-12-2019, 06:25 PM.
            My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
            Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

            My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
            Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by wtfisafleek View Post
              Ah yes I see now. I switched back to viewing the AT parts and there's a more expensive shaft that pops up now, $354. Looks like the only difference between the different part numbers for identical sides is the origin of manufacture.

              As far as differences in the MT driveshafts, if I remember correctly the splined ends differ as well. One side was splined the full length of the outer section, the other was splined maybe half of its length. I can confirm later.
              the outer joints aren't different, just the overall length and inboard joints.

              Click for my Member's Ride Thread
              Originally posted by Stephen Fry
              'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
              Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
                the outer joints aren't different, just the overall length and inboard joints.
                At least for a 1992 LX 5 speed sedan, Majestic's site shows the same part number for both sides.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 389,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                07 Element EX AWD 193,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210623
                07 Element EX AWD AT (2) 89,000 - MRT: www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=211920

                LOTS of CB7 parts - ENTIRE COLLECTION - FREE
                Come and get it. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                  At least for a 1992 LX 5 speed sedan, Majestic's site shows the same part number for both sides.
                  I just looked at their site and it appears they have a mistake on their site. both left and right side parts are listed as "Set, Shaft Comp R 44010-SM4-A12," even though the inboard joints have different part numbers. They are definitely different.

                  Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                  Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                  'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                  Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I'll definitely be calling them before I order anything.
                    My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
                    Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

                    My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
                    Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X