INT : Footwell lightning on when opening door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT : Footwell lightning on when opening door

So when you open passenger side or the drivers side the lights will go on.
    You can do this also to backdoors but i didn't do it. This is my first DIY, so i'm not sure how to do these. I'm not also going to explain every single bolt and screw 'cause there aren't many.

You need
    - normal electric wire
    - 2xsomekind of footwell light
    - double sided tape
    - 3xscotch lock
    - 1xsugarpiece (not sure of this word also...sry)

1.) First take off your battery. Always do it when messing with the cars electricity.

2.) Take the lower center (B-pilar) panel off and with screwdriver pry the wirebracket out. It's the Y shaped plastic piece. 3 different attachments.

3.) There's one wire going to the door switch. Pull it out to get better working space. I used this scotch lock to attach the ground from the door switch to the wire that's going to the footwell lights.

Here is the "robber" connected to the door switch wire.

4.) Next take off the steering wheel covers cause that's were I took the continuous power. Measure with voltmeter which one is the + and - from the keylock light. (remember to put the battery on or you get - and - ) Attach the + again with a scotch lock to another wire which is going to be the power on the footwell lights. Pull the new wire along with the steering wheel rod to the footwell. There is alot of room to hide those wires and to pull them to the center where the radio and heater are.

5.) Then you put these wires on a sugar piece. Wire coming from the keylock is attached seperate from the wire from the door(s). On the picture you see 2 red wires going in to a same lock. That's cause there are wires from passenger and drivers side.

6.) And you are almost done. Just connect the + and - from your footwell lights to the sugarpiece and you are set to go. If you are using leds then remember that they work only one way.

7.) I used double sided tape to attach those led lights to footwell and hide wires under or side of the carpet. Now just connect your battery and try. Lights should be on when drivers or passengers door is open and they turn off when closing the door.
    Last edited by MrSpeedy; 10-16-2010, 01:56 PM.

nice job! very clear on what to do, and nice pics. is it just me or are your pics supper huge?
    "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

The thing you call robber is called a scotch lock. IDK what to call the sugar piece. Good deal man. Thats pretty spiffy.
      http://WWW.DUBWISE.NET

My Job!

9DUBWISE 92 LXhttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=142580

RHD ITR conversionhttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=172577

Comment

Originally posted by drew12000 View Post
        nice job! very clear on what to do, and nice pics. is it just me or are your pics supper huge?
        Yeah. I found out that when posting. I could try to resize them. Not sure if they get all blurry but if it bothers many then i could do it. But thanks for the feedback. And I also agree with you. They are HUGE!

9DUBWISE: Thanks man. You always learn something new. I'll keep that in mind for the next time and also edit so there's no misunderstanding.

Comment

haha yea resize would be much appreciated this old computer im on was freazin like a mother when i was scrollin through

8 Accords so far:
          '81 SE Sedan(1st Gen), '83 SE Sedan(2nd Gen), '89 SE Sedan(3rd Gen)
          '89 DX Sedan(3rd Gen), '92 LX Coupe(4th Gen), '92 EX Wagon(4th Gen)
          (3rd gen parts car) I'm currently Driving a '14 Accord Sport 9th Gen

Comment

Originally posted by F22Cb7Rid3r View Post
            haha yea resize would be much appreciated this old computer im on was freazin like a mother when i was scrollin through
            Ok. Pics now resized.

Comment

I really wanna try this out!!! I think it would go well with my VIP theme I'm glad you did this DIY!
              blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

something I also have been wanting to do footwell lighting and bottom door lighting lol

The DIY is a bit confusing. I have no idea what a sugar piece is or ever seen it before.

Ive had 3 years of electronics too. lol

I guess I'm very picky on my work, I dont like to use butt connectors, scotch lock, or anything that looks gaudy lmao.

Straight jack the connection, solder, heat shrink, and e-tape.

Comment

Originally posted by excalibur02 View Post
                  something I also have been wanting to do footwell lighting and bottom door lighting lol

The DIY is a bit confusing. I have no idea what a sugar piece is or ever seen it before.

Ive had 3 years of electronics too. lol

I guess I'm very picky on my work, I dont like to use butt connectors, scotch lock, or anything that looks gaudy lmao.

Straight jack the connection, solder, heat shrink, and e-tape.
                  At the first few lines I said that I'm not sure of the word "sugarpiece". And there is also a picture of it. I'm suprised that you don't know what the "sugarpiece" is cause it's a regular connector used in household electricity. I guess you are a bit picky cause all of the wirings leaves behind covers. And ofcourse you could solder it but not everybody likes/can do it and if you do it badly eventually it'll crack and you have to do it all over again. I haven't had any problems with those methods and I agree that somethings I also like to solder, but don't think this neccessarily needs that. But you've got a point in that.

Comment

Working...
                  X