No announcement yet.

ENG: Painting The Valve Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice write up this is how mine turned out. Used the "hammered look" copper paint.

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
      Couple things I want to add:

That brand paint stripper SUCKS, I have a can and I used it, I let it sit for 20 mins and hosed it off. It removed some of the paint but not much. I had to get another cheaper looking brand that works 10x better.

2) Instead of sanding the letters, Use a razor blade and cut the paint off the top of the letters, You have to basically get under the paint of the letters for it to come out good. Much easier than sanding them down.
      You can also use vaseline. Afterwards take the razorblade same process and pop it off. Or you can paint over then sand it down lots of options. Also you want the industrial grade aircraft stripper that shit takes it off like nothing!

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

do you guys reuse your VC gasket? or buy a new one?

Also how many of you use a torque wrench and do it properly? do it the correct sequence too, like a criss cross pattern to give it a proper seal.

I dont have a torque wrench yet so I'll have to do it by feel, but if you do one bolt tighter than another it may give a crap seal and oil will leak.

I want to paint mine red, red is my favorite and it looks great in the engine bay.
        1993 Honda Accord EX-R Coupe Granada Black Pearl
        ///Alpine CDA-9847 Head Unit
        OBX Pedals, stock air box, Ebay headers, Stock dual tipped muffler. Emblems removed, grill chrome painted black.

1993 Kawasaki EX500 Flat Black. First Bike.

Comment

^^^

You might as well buy a new vc gasket kit and redo your tube seals while your at it.

I didnt use a torque wrench and i have no leaks....as long as you take your time and pay attention you should be ok.

Comment

It would be common sense to buy a new valve cover gasket if you are doing this since your vc is already off. I have a tq wrench but not on me so this time if I do it gonna have to do by feel. Just start from middle then criss cross it out. Also dont forget to clean your VC before you spray it with simple green or something so you know you have a clean surface.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

will this work if i just want to leave it polish with no paint
              PETRA tow montebello

Comment

Originally posted by BlackMagicCB7
                Nice write up this is how mine turned out. Used the "hammered look" copper paint.

Damn it came out good

This Car Is Killin Me Softly
                In This World Killin Me....Softly.........lol

F20a Funds: $0.65
                Need : $500.00

Comment

Originally posted by Mjfan12
                  do you guys reuse your VC gasket? or buy a new one?

Also how many of you use a torque wrench and do it properly? do it the correct sequence too, like a criss cross pattern to give it a proper seal.

I dont have a torque wrench yet so I'll have to do it by feel, but if you do one bolt tighter than another it may give a crap seal and oil will leak.

I want to paint mine red, red is my favorite and it looks great in the engine bay.

Haha thats for the cylinder head not the valve cover, theres no particular order to tighten them and just use a regular socket, get them pretty good and snug, but not too tight either, or you'll damage the gasket.

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

Originally posted by oranger
                    Haha thats for the cylinder head not the valve cover, theres no particular order to tighten them and just use a regular socket, get them pretty good and snug, but not too tight either, or you'll damage the gasket.
                    Actually no. They are supposed to be tightened to 8-10ft/lbs. There is a specific criss cross order. If you have a DOHC motor I would start from the middle and criss cross out. If you do every side unevenly the gasket will leak. You go to tight your gonna mess up the nut or break the stud.

BTW this is the stuff you want to use to strip the VC

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                      Actually no. They are supposed to be tightened to 8-10ft/lbs. There is a specific criss cross order. If you have a DOHC motor I would start from the middle and criss cross out. If you do every side unevenly the gasket will leak. You go to tight your gonna mess up the nut or break the stud.

BTW this is the stuff you want to use to strip the VC
                      also good for pesky air planes, takes em right out for you, and for the guys out the with red wrinkle DIY valve covers do u use black wrinkle paint and then paint over it in red or is there a wrinkle red rattle can paint out thtere somewhere?

-sean
                      Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
                      Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

There is wrinkle red. I think VHT makes it,

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

imma do mine in a few weeks....should come out pretty good

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                          11.68 @ 127mph
                          417whp/375wtq
                          Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Me too whenever I get a valve cover gasket =D. Might make a DIY haha anyway gotta run to Honda tomorrow to see if they have any in stock.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Will 500 degree paint work or should i go higher???

Comment

that will work
                                92 Accord EX - SOLD

PSN: REDxMAN-_-

MR===>http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=146478

Comment

Working...
                                X