Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENG: MAIN RELAY REMOVAL AND REPAIR (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great write up But I have a question

before:

after:

Just did this yesterday, but it cut off on me a few times while driving since that.
    It was my first time soldering. So is it my soldering work to blame, or is this ok and my problem is something else?

Comment

I 'd take a magnifying glass and look at each point! I don't know much about electric and from my point of view it looks like some solder might be connecting to other points...get a new one and be over with it!

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
      New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
      My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

It doesn't take much to clean that up. It took a few tries to get things looking good and no connections touching but it's do able, was my 2nd time soldering, 1st was the DRL module.

Good luck.
        MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202004
        1992 Accord EX(Canadian)Seattle Silver sedan

Comment

Your joints look cold. What type of solder and iron are you using?

They should look shiny and smooth. On your, it looks like you got the pad hot but not the pins so you may not have a connection at all.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad to know I might not have to drop the tank for the fuel pump, hopefully I just can't solder worth a dam, lol

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
            I 'd take a magnifying glass and look at each point! I don't know much about electric and from my point of view it looks like some solder might be connecting to other points...get a new one and be over with it!
            Yeah, I figured it might be too much bead on there, it didn't seem to be touching, but you can see how close it is. I'll probably get a new one eventually

Originally posted by Jking72 View Post
            It doesn't take much to clean that up. It took a few tries to get things looking good and no connections touching but it's do able, was my 2nd time soldering, 1st was the DRL module.

Good luck.
            Thanks, I tried to clean it up, but when I tried to re-liquefy the solder it started turning brown, and running, so I left it alone. I'm going to give it another shot

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            Your joints look cold. What type of solder and iron are you using?

They should look shiny and smooth. On your, it looks like you got the pad hot but not the pins so you may not have a connection at all.
            You're right, the first round I realized the iron needed to heat up some more, so while I was heating the pin it probly wasn't hot at all. It looked crazy with small bits of bead stuck here and there, so I just dumped a load of solder over everything on each the second go round.

The package just said 30 watt solder iron, basic cheap one, with a coil of small wire in a tube. Sticker says SOL-1

Here's the other one I got to try it again. The joints are in worse condition than my original one

Im going to try it again tomorrow.
            Thanks again

Comment

practice ,practice,pratice

that is how you get to Carnegie Hall
              http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
                practice ,practice,pratice

that is how you get to Carnegie Hall

Comment

Would like to say - Thanks - for this write up & even for the additional hint that TypeG offered regarding removing the lower cover for better access to the relay. Great write up!

Comment

Working...
                  X