No announcement yet.

EXT: Accord grill hack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doesnt f/g involve laying pieces of felt or no, fleece, right? and you have to like cover that in the mix? im really curious not only for doing this grill but learnign f/g anyways. Can you, essentially, but a f/g kit that comes with all if not most the materials you need? Cuz if all the mix materials come in a package, then the fleece can be bought elsewhere for cheap. Especially since it shouldnt take much to do this grill. When i first saw this thread, i liked it but didnt wanna muster up the patience to learn f/g-ing but see what ya done maroon? you gone and got me all interested

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc
      doesnt f/g involve laying pieces of felt or no, fleece, right? and you have to like cover that in the mix? im really curious not only for doing this grill but learnign f/g anyways. Can you, essentially, but a f/g kit that comes with all if not most the materials you need? Cuz if all the mix materials come in a package, then the fleece can be bought elsewhere for cheap. Especially since it shouldnt take much to do this grill. When i first saw this thread, i liked it but didnt wanna muster up the patience to learn f/g-ing but see what ya done maroon? you gone and got me all interested

lol, well basically fiberglassing is the process of applying an epoxy resin ( I use disposable paint brushes) to a flexible fiberglass mat material. The most common types of mat are random fiber and woven mat. Once the resin hardens, it's solid as a rock but very brittle without matting. Apply it to the mat, and you end up with a substraight that's not only ridgid, but very strong. The resin is an EPOXY like I said earlier, and has a catalist that you add when mixing a batch. It normally has a short pot life and has to be applied fairly quickly otherwise it begins to harden up and will not impregnate the matting.

My suggestion, is to start searching GOOGLE and click on pics of materials and projects and read A LOT. That's what I did a few years ago, and it got me going with fiberglass. Oh, and always wear gloves..... lol

Random-woven matting

Woven matting
      Last edited by maroonaccord2.2; 09-27-2006, 10:15 AM.
      1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

so youd apply the resin then the matting? And then thats it? I thought there was a 3rd layer ill read up. Or hopefully ill run into somebody in Az who'll be able to show me/help me learn.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc
          so youd apply the resin then the matting? And then thats it? I thought there was a 3rd layer ill read up. Or hopefully ill run into somebody in Az who'll be able to show me/help me learn.
          place the mat then apply resin.. put some resin in a small bowl and some harden and mix it up then apply it on the fiberglass mat. that's how i did my speaker box. it should work the same.
          DEFJAM

MY RIDE ON CB7 DEFJAM on 93

Comment

So really once i get ahold of it all, i just need to do some reading up on application techniques, handling, etc. Sounds like it really shouldnt be too hard. I may have to practice on some random pcs of BS to get my skill down straight. Thnx guys

Comment

could you jb weld the mesh wire on?
              can you also use only jb weld?

Be Clean

Comment

i used jb weld.. worked fine
                OHIO CB7'S #11
                SOLD

Members Ride DevlTuning

Comment

Already hacked my grill on my cb7. Looks nice! Nice DIY!
                  5th Gen. Lude Team I <3 JDM

Comment

Originally posted by 91accord1
                    Already hacked my grill on my cb7. Looks nice! Nice DIY!
                    Thank you. I love my grill....
                    1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

do you paint the metal grill black or leave it alone?

Be Clean

Comment

Originally posted by nostringz
                        do you paint the metal grill black or leave it alone?
                        I painted the grill wire flat black, but that was just my style.... It'd look good natural silver as well I suppose.
                        1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Where can i get J-B Weld?

Comment

auto zone
                            OHIO CB7'S #11
                            SOLD

Members Ride DevlTuning

Comment

Originally posted by apuforyou
                              Where can i get J-B Weld?
                              hobby stores jack up their prices... it was 4.18 at advanced auto parts

oh yes! heres my grill
                              Last edited by nostringz; 12-22-2006, 02:02 AM.

Be Clean

Comment

Just wanted to show off my grill, so I figured this is the most appropriate place.

Comment

Working...
                                X