Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT/EXT: Passenger Footwell Leak Repair

-----

This leak was sourced to a multi-point contact area inside the CB cabin, where three pieces of the body are sealed together.

If you think your Accord has this leak, be warned that you're going to have to remove the dashboard and blower motor to seal it up!

NOTE!
    Rather than doing a step-by-step write-up, I opted to post photos and an explanation of what you're up against. This isn't an end-all DIY, rather a photo documentary of where I experienced a very bad interior leak. I opted for sealing the problem area with silicone. You may want to seal it a different way.

Dashboard removal and blower motor removal are required. It's assumed that you're already aware of these removal procedures.

If you feel stumped with the thought of removing your dashboard and/or blower motor, below are some links to help get you up to speed. While they may seem difficult, they're actually quite simple procedures - albeit time consuming.

Dashboard Removal Links

Blower Motor Removal Links

Blower Motor Removal/Replacement

If this is your first time removing a dashboard, you may want to set an entire day aside to do this. Keep screws and brackets labeled and organized together in baggies. Believe me, it makes everything so much easier!

Overview:
    If your passenger side footwell is damp or soaking wet after it rains, and you don't have a sunroof, this might be the source of your leak. Even if you do have a sunroof and you've eliminated the drainage passages as the source, this may be where your leak is coming from. Failure to patching this leak may result in a rusty floorboard. In addition to a soggy, rusty footwell, the leak can cause the ECU and/or TCU to short out.

Tools Required:
    -10mm Deep Socket and Ratchet
    (Dashboard removal, Blower Motor removal, ECU removal)
    -Flat Head Screwdriver(s)
    (Dashboard trim removal, Dashboard removal, clock removal, removal of dashboard bolt covers)
    -Philips Head Screwdriver(s)
    (Dashboard trim removal, Glove Box removal, Blower Motor housing removal)
    -Razor Blade
    (To cut open the firewall insulation and expose the leak)
    -Rubbing Alcohol or Acetone
    (To clean the area before resealing)
    -High Strength Interior/Exterior Silicone
    (To seal the damn leak!)

Photos:
    Listed chronologically with captions.

Remove the Dashboard.
    You don't have to remove the cluster or glovebox, but they make it lighter for removal.

Remove the Blower Motor Housing (already removed in photo).
    In order to do this, you have to remove the bracket between the Blower Motor and the Evaporator. A few 10mm bolts and Philips screws.

This corner is the target area.
    It's a junction for three body panels sealed together, beneath the inner fender and wiper channels.

Close-up.

Another close-up.

Wipe the area down with alcohol or acetone, and seal it up with silicone.
    Not the best solution, but hey, this is a 20-year-old daily driver.

Bonus points for sealing the opposite side.
    My pictures/photos will return soon...

i was also gonna say, if you take all that apart and discover no cracks, it could be the A/C drainage tube that's clogged and leaking all inside the carpeting.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
      i was also gonna say, if you take all that apart and discover no cracks, it could be the A/C drainage tube that's clogged and leaking all inside the carpeting.
      Very good point.

You can verify this by running your AC, or simply by removing the glove box. The drainage tube can be accessed without removing the dashboard.

If you're finding puddles after it's been raining, and you've eliminated other common trouble spots (door mirrors, windshield seal, sunroof drainage tube, rust) this might be the answer to your problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshy View Post
        Very good point.

You can verify this by running your AC, or simply by removing the glove box. The drainage tube can be accessed without removing the dashboard.

If you're finding puddles after it's been raining, and you've eliminated other common trouble spots (door mirrors, windshield seal, sunroof drainage tube, rust) this might be the answer to your problems.
        Yeah had this happen to me this past summer. All of a sudden I saw water build up more and more eventually to the point where it was soaking the carpeting and I got worried since the ECU is underneath. I then felt the floor mat and it felt ICE cold...so I knew it was something w/ the EVAP under the dash not draining.

Jacked the car up and sure enough, the A/C drainage tube was plugged up or kinked against something, tugged on it and a burst of cold water splashed me in the face haha. Make sure its not hung up on anything, but pointing towards the ground

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

dammit, i have this leak hahaha

I just always assumed it was Lily's time of the year againnn nice to know the source now!
          blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

well im glad you found the source of your problem as i know it was a pain to try to figure out.

Comment

Originally posted by P5ylance View Post
              dammit, i have this leak hahaha

I just always assumed it was Lily's time of the year againnn nice to know the source now!
              You've got an EX, so verify it isn't your moonroof drainage line before you pull your dashboard apart!

This was on my sister's DX. I'm so relieved that we don't have to deal with puddles anymore. Soggy ECUs and mildew are no fun.

Originally posted by illestatus View Post
              well im glad you found the source of your problem as i know it was a pain to try to figure out.
              Yeah it was! Haha I feel like I've gone through everything in trying figure it out. Now the problem is finally eliminated - phew!

While it's difficult to categorize and ensure leaks like these to specific points of entry, I'm glad to share the information. I'll be happy if it helps at least one other member out!

Comment

awesome diy!

btw is that acorn nuts in your A/C condensor in cabin box?? lol

Comment

You could probably just get away with sealing the outside, less to take apart.
                  wat?

Comment

Originally posted by excalibur02 View Post
                    awesome diy!

btw is that acorn nuts in your A/C condensor in cabin box?? lol
                    Thanks Maury! Like I said, glad to help at least one other person out! I know I'm not the only one dealing with the issue.

Acorns, pine needles, dead bugs... it was nasty. LOL!

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                    You could probably just get away with sealing the outside, less to take apart.
                    Negative, sir. Kind of hard to tell from the photos, but only one of the two holes was covered on the outside. The hole located directly in the corner is actually behind the inner fender. It's entirely inaccessible from the exterior side.

I wanted to be thorough about it and not have my sister deal with soggy floors again.

Comment

looks like ya sis has fogs rear defrost and pass air bag. but its a 91 wth?

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
                        looks like ya sis has fogs rear defrost and pass air bag. but its a 91 wth?
                        First pic is actually a shot of my car's interior. The rest are my sister's car. Good eye.

Comment

The drainline goes in that area? o_o that's kinda far, lol

how i do i check that bad boy moonroof? its always a "WTF" moment when i make a turn and get slapped in the face by a few drops of water hahaha
                          blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

I've had this leak for so long. now that everything's taken apart I'll be doing this. but I haven't removed my dash.. and im really hoping I don't have to. lol
                            Patiently Waiting.

MRT

Comment

Working...
                            X