Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• apalileo
    replied
    @sonik - The last week was an experience to say the least. "Trying" the conversion was no longer an option once I began cutting lines.

@Raf - Thanks! I wiped off as much of the old power steering fluid and grime that had built up in that corner. I've owned and driven manual steering cars in the past so this was not unfamiliar territory for me. I'm not much of a coffee drinker these days so I'm fine keeping my hands on the wheel!

@Jarrett - It would have been nice to try it out, but here we are! I did consider just putting the belt back on and seeking out the leaks, but I'm a glutton for pain, I suppose!

This would have been ideally performed with the engine out, or the intake manifold at the very least. I have to give props to anyone with big hands performing this with the engine complete in the bay. I wear medium sized Mechanix gloves and I found myself struggling to get to certain brackets. Anyone considering this should set aside a day to perform it. There's a mix of plastic and metal brackets throughout the system and in a few places, other parts must be moved to remove components. Additionally, there's a point when I found myself unbending hard lines to get them out as they weave around other parts. It's a "point of no return" type of mod.

Leave a comment:

• Jarrett
    replied
    I guess I'm just going to have to drive someone's car with a properly-converted manual steering system. My experience with the belt off just leaves me with the impression of never wanting to go without it again. Parking lots were nightmares.

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    Looks mighty clean under there! Great job. I tried the no PS too but decided against it. I found at slow speeds you were having to put your coffee down too much

Leave a comment:

• sonikaccord
    replied
    I had the belt off on my Lude and its way too hard to turn...even at neighborhood speeds, but then you get used to it. I might have to give the full conversion a try on the CB.

Leave a comment:

• apalileo
    replied
    I should also add that removing the belt alone is -3 out of 10.

Leave a comment:

• apalileo
    replied
    February 2016 - Power Steering Delete! A mod I had put aside for a while. A week ago I removed the power steering belt and fought with my CB, getting used to the idea of manual steering. This forced me to properly delete the system this weekend.

No pics of the process because it was tedious and very messy. Started out trying to preserve the bits and pieces and after a few hours and a lot of cursing, started hacking at it! The aftermath:

Per Rilas' information, I took out these bits from the housing, leaving the four way valve to prevent play:

Looped lines:

The new void under the hood (tempted to tuck wires now):

After a few days driving with this I was almost pleased. New information was found that others have added a reservoir to serve as an expansion/overflow tank, so I followed suit. Added a CB7 clutch reservoir on the passenger side along with 3/8" ID power steering return line and a 3/8" tee fitting.

This little addition helped free up the wheel a bit more at stand still and low speed. If fully functional power steering is a 10, then looped lines is a 7 and the addition of the reservoir is an 8. Only one point because it's only at idle and low speed is there a noticeable difference. I do love the overall feel of the steering now that I am more directly connected to it.

Also, I came to find out that my power steering was leaking at the VSS, one of the lines was not secured properly. I couldn't quite pull it off, but it spun freely on the nipple. That would explain my steady fluid loss and occasional fluctuation of power assist. I sometimes felt it become difficult at lower speeds, meaning the system was probably losing pressure and therefore reducing assist.

Leave a comment:

• apalileo
    replied
    Thanks Darkcloud! I do love the simple clean lines of the CB! I do appreciate a proper build with lips, spoilers and the like, but it's not my personal preference.

I'm actually gathering parts to upgrade to coilovers... soon.

Leave a comment:

• Darkcloud
    replied
    Good work so far, like how simple you're keeping the cb.

What's next on your list?

Leave a comment:

• apalileo
    replied
    Thanks excalibur! I'll keep that in mind when that times comes!

Just a side note on the steering wheel install: That 5/8" washer forced the hub further down that it was intended to be mounted (most likely intended for non SRS Honda's). The splines of the steering wheel shaft "cut" the splines of the soft metal hub deeper. After first fitment, I was forced to use my large gear puller to remove it. It's really on there, but it's definitely solid.

Leave a comment:

• excalibur02
    replied
    fuel line looks good!

The same thing actually happened to me. Fuel line bent so had to get a junkyard replacement. This was a couple years back. When you do change it up you can always sell that one on here to another member.

Leave a comment:

• apalileo
    replied
    Thanks Mike! I intend on keeping the CB for a long time so I want to do everything right. The forums have been invaluable in that aspect.

I do plan on putting together a replacement fuel line with black or silver parts that includes a flow control valve (for the evap test during smog tests so they don't have to pinch the line). The Russell line was simply a convenience since it was pre-fitted. It's also a good option since the OEM part is discontinued.
    Last edited by apalileo; 02-06-2016, 06:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike1357
    replied
    The time you took on doing the steering wheel the right way is fantastic. I also love the fuel line. If my line going to the filter hadn't snapped i probably would've used the same thing. Try looking online and see if they make the fittings in black; I recently made a bunch of lines for a customer with all black fittings.

Leave a comment:

• apalileo
    replied
    @cb9love - I guess that makes two of us! It sticks out like a sore thumb to me, but better that than hard starts due to low fuel pressure!

I just got home from a drive and I'm wishing I had changed out the fuel filter when I first got the car! Feels like I relieved a lot of obstruction in the fuel delivery. Looking at the old unit, I have reason to believe it was the original one! There wasn't a single marking on the banjo bolt nor the flare nut going into the filter. That is until I had to unbolt them.

Leave a comment:

• cb9love
    replied
    Now that's a bit of bling i can get behind!

Leave a comment:

• apalileo
    replied
    February 2016 - After passing my smog check in December I had been losing prime in the fuel system over night, especially when my car was parked facing uphill. There was also the faint smell of gasoline in the first few minutes of driving in the morning. I guess the fuel line got damaged when they conducted the evap test (which it passed).

I contacted my local Honda dealer and they informed me that the fuel line is discontinued. The parts staff even told me to go to a junk yard. I was thinking of building a custom AN line with Techna Fit parts and I ran across a Russell fuel line for the 96-00 Civic that looked like it would fit. Overkill? Yes, but it was necessary for proper function.

Russell part number 641110:

Versus the old OEM line:

Mounted on new fuel filter:

Clears the EGR just like the OEM one:

Routes exactly the same as OEM:

It's a bit snug beneath the vacuum box because it doesn't have the slight down turn on the fuel filter side banjo fitting, but everything mounts up fine.

I wish it wasn't all anodized blue and red, but it fits and that's what matters. I probably will build a custom line before my next smog test that includes a flow valve so the station doesn't risk damaging anything during the evap test again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X