CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > 4th Gen-eral > Off Topic

Old 03-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #1
h22sparkle
CB7tuner Member

h22sparkle may have said something they shouldn't have...
Ford focus RS vs civic type R

Opinions https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/t...cus-rs-debate/
h22sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
I thought the type R was 350HP?
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Nah, only 306. That's still a huge number to the front wheels for a factory vehicle!

What the Type R lacks in power, I feel it will make up in weight. It's probably got a 400lb advantage over the Focus RS. The Honda is probably the better-made car, too. Ford has come a long way, but I don't think they're quite there yet in terms of quality.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Nah, only 306. That's still a huge number to the front wheels for a factory vehicle!

What the Type R lacks in power, I feel it will make up in weight. It's probably got a 400lb advantage over the Focus RS. The Honda is probably the better-made car, too. Ford has come a long way, but I don't think they're quite there yet in terms of quality.
Of course, it's a ford, lol. In Canada / east coast Honda at 62,000miles is perfect!, Ford will be a rust bucket of bolts waiting to strip.

I was just thinking to have a sporty body like that (civic) wouldn't you want HP to back it up? I know it's a power/weight ratio but like the Challanger I would think Honda would finally step up to the plate and stomp the competition. It's like seeing high HP cars with huge spoilers and ya think "awesome!" , the you see a low HP car with the same huge spoiler and you think.... "noooooo.....!".
Old 03-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Yeah. Makes me think of the Pontiac G6 GXP. Made 30hp more than the G6 GT, but still pretty sad at only 251hp for a 3500lb FWD car... and the styling... barf! The Chevy S10 and Blazer "xtreme" were similar. More barf (and at like 200hp, they were pretty pathetic!)

The Civic Type R is definitely sporting a "boy racer" look, like its competition (aside from the Golf R, IMO)... but at least it can back it up!

Old 03-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful
Send a message via AIM to owequitit
I am pretty sure the 306HP is conservative.

The old version of this car has already tested faster than the Golf-R from a roll, and Honda's new 1.5T puts about its crank rating to the wheels.
owequitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #7
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

That's pretty awesome.
That really is a buttload of power to the front wheels, even at the 306 figure.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #8
AccordWarrior
Guy Smiley

AccordWarrior is very helpful AccordWarrior is very helpful AccordWarrior is very helpful
Is the Focus RS still selling well over MSRP?

I suspect the CTR will do the same, at least initially. I bet you'll see scenarios like when the Mugen Si was released in the US with multiple thefts as well.

The cars really operate in completely different arenas. The allure of the Focus RS is the so-called drift model AWDKENBLOCKHOONIGANDANKVAPINGFLATBRIMMONSTERRRRRR feature. The CTR is more the JDM fanboys who won't be caught dead in a Ford.
AccordWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #9
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

What has me intrigued is what Mugen will do with the CTR.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:45 PM   #10
Raf99
Gold Member

Well I anticipate the race between the Honda and Ford.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #11
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
Quote:

At least not the American branch of FoMoCo, Australian and European branches are far ahead of what we get here; i tried to sway 3 dealerships in TX to have a special Cosworth version of the Mustang built a year before the line was released in U.S but they werent interested. Little known fact is that while everyone thinks the Coyote and EcoBoost engines are a fairly new design, they are actually based on the Australian counterparts that have been used for over a decade now.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:00 PM   #12
AccordWarrior
Guy Smiley

AccordWarrior is very helpful AccordWarrior is very helpful AccordWarrior is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
At least not the American branch of FoMoCo, Australian and European branches are far ahead of what we get here; i tried to sway 3 dealerships in TX to have a special Cosworth version of the Mustang built a year before the line was released in U.S but they werent interested. Little known fact is that while everyone thinks the Coyote and EcoBoost engines are a fairly new design, they are actually based on the Australian counterparts that have been used for over a decade now.
Shame Ford Australia is no longer. Ford UK has a bunch of fun offerings still. Their 80's performance car lineup looked like a blast to drive.
AccordWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:19 PM   #13
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Ford's current offerings are global. We no longer get inferior models.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:29 PM   #14
JaK FRoSTWhiTE
Event Staff

JaK FRoSTWhiTE is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to JaK FRoSTWhiTE
Really excited about this new Type R. Finally, Honda is doing something they should have done a long time ago. But it makes sense now. Traditionally Honda (and Civic's in general) have been marketed as econo entry level. That's my hunch why they decided to only bring the ITR here, for Acura. Remember that was like $24k MSRP ($36k adjusted for inflation). Pretty expensive compared to a Civic DX of the time. Nowadays you can get a Civic hatchback Sport Touring for $28k.

From what I know, the first year Type R will be very limited. Dealers are only getting 1, if any, and a max of 3 going to the top Civic selling dealer. This was based on 2016 calendar year Civic sales.

JaK FRoSTWhiTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:32 PM   #15
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordWarrior View Post
Shame Ford Australia is no longer. Ford UK has a bunch of fun offerings still. Their 80's performance car lineup looked like a blast to drive.
I remember about 12 years ago when i first heard a rumor of Ford merging their branches and this Mustang was supposed to be the project created together to be released accross the 3 fronts. I actually knew about the Coyote before 07 and tought was a great idea since it was a very direct and much needed competitor to the LS engines since the 5.4 DOHC was not released in America in sports form.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:33 PM   #16
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Ford's current offerings are global. We no longer get inferior models.
We are still not getting the Cosworth models which are the best product Ford Europe has to offer.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #17
cb7 calling
CB7tuner Member

cb7 calling is cool... so far.
The euro ctr is 306. I see a good chance of them bumping that figure for the U.S. Release. Wouldn't that be ironic if the U.S. Had the hottest version of a Honda. Either way it will certainly be the most capable fwd available.
Edit...never mind I guess they announced 306 hp

Last edited by cb7 calling; 03-12-2017 at 09:22 AM.
cb7 calling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #18
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
We are still not getting the Cosworth models which are the best product Ford Europe has to offer.
So true. But they got to miss out on the Ford Mustang until recently.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #19
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf99 View Post
So true. But they got to miss out on the Ford Mustang until recently.
I think Ford has done this to keep Mustang sales from tanking, why would anyone pay for a 400HP Mustang when you can get a 650HP Focus? The Ford red key program was pretty cool too since it allowed for a different tune to be accessed with the use of a second key, kind of how the Australian 5.4 were (supposedly) able to recognize the fuel being used and adjust timing accordingly.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #20
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful
Send a message via AIM to owequitit
Quote:
That's pretty awesome.
That really is a buttload of power to the front wheels, even at the 306 figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordWarrior View Post
Is the Focus RS still selling well over MSRP?

I suspect the CTR will do the same, at least initially. I bet you'll see scenarios like when the Mugen Si was released in the US with multiple thefts as well.

The cars really operate in completely different arenas. The allure of the Focus RS is the so-called drift model AWDKENBLOCKHOONIGANDANKVAPINGFLATBRIMMONSTERRRRRR feature. The CTR is more the JDM fanboys who won't be caught dead in a Ford.
I don't think they are moving as fast as Ford anticipated. The fact that they are WAAAAY more expensive than the ST doesn't help, but they also don't perform quite like you would expect a "350HP" to perform compared to cars like the previous Type-R and Golf-R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaK FRoSTWhiTE View Post
Really excited about this new Type R. Finally, Honda is doing something they should have done a long time ago. But it makes sense now. Traditionally Honda (and Civic's in general) have been marketed as econo entry level. That's my hunch why they decided to only bring the ITR here, for Acura. Remember that was like $24k MSRP ($36k adjusted for inflation). Pretty expensive compared to a Civic DX of the time. Nowadays you can get a Civic hatchback Sport Touring for $28k.

From what I know, the first year Type R will be very limited. Dealers are only getting 1, if any, and a max of 3 going to the top Civic selling dealer. This was based on 2016 calendar year Civic sales.
I think the only way they are going to be able to go crazy with pricing is if volume is ridiculously. While the Type-R is exciting, I think Honda is really shooting themselves in the foot by putting a 1.5T in the Si. People will actually be able to get those and likely won't want them in the face of the ST and GTI, etc.

Quote:
I think Ford has done this to keep Mustang sales from tanking, why would anyone pay for a 400HP Mustang when you can get a 650HP Focus? The Ford red key program was pretty cool too since it allowed for a different tune to be accessed with the use of a second key, kind of how the Australian 5.4 were (supposedly) able to recognize the fuel being used and adjust timing accordingly.
I'd rather have a Mustang any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The Focus hatch is dreadfully small with the sport seats in there, and even the hatch is small compared to the competition.
owequitit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: