Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

13 Gallon fill up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13 Gallon fill up?

Hey guys, from almost dead empty to completely full always takes more or less 13~14 gallons. Yet I'm constantly reading about our cars having 17 gallon tanks. Does that mean something is wrong? Could I have like 3 gallons of solid crud taking up precious gas space? What's happening here?

||91 Accord EX|| All of my images are hosted courtesy of imageShack.com
    Door-Sensor fix (DIY)||Interfacing Arduino to Power locks
    RICE = Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement.
    "The greatest advantage of speaking the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said." - unknown
    "That's the funny thing about parts that break... they're never broken until they are!" -deevergote

this can be because the tank reserve...... 3 gallon for reserve look good.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteShift View Post
      this can be because the tank reserve...... 3 gallon for reserve look good.
      No, even when you run these cars until they run out of gas, they still won't take 17 gallons

When the fuel light comes on its 2 gallons anyways

No one has ever seem to come up with a good reason as to why our cars don't take 17 gallons. I say its bullshit, they have a 15 gallon tank i bet.

Comment

I don't think it's a reserve, since I still end up using what I put in. The most gas I've ever used was up to the point where the car could barely start. A complete full up put me at 14.8xx gallons. That was only once.

"The greatest advantage of speaking the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said." - unknown
        "That's the funny thing about parts that break... they're never broken until they are!" -deevergote

Comment

i bet the shape of the top of the tank won't let the full 17 gallons in because of the filler neck location... if you took the sending unit out and filled through that hole you might be able to get it in there don't ya think?

'94 CD5 EX F22B1 Automatic

Comment

I put 15.5 in my wagon once after it died going around a long turning exit ramp. I've never carried a can with me and driven any of them bone dry.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Kamatari+ View Post
              I don't think it's a reserve, since I still end up using what I put in. The most gas I've ever used was up to the point where the car could barely start. A complete full up put me at 14.8xx gallons. That was only once.
              Which is exactly why i don't think the tank takes 17 gallons

I have never heard of any cb7 taking 17 gallons

I've ran out of gas in my car before and never put more than 14-15 in it.

Comment

yea that's pretty funny... I used to have a 02 Civic ex that Honda claimed it had a 13.4 gallon tank but on a few occasions I end up driving the car to almost complete empty and actually filled up 14.5 gallons

Comment

Originally posted by JBradley500 View Post
                  i bet the shape of the top of the tank won't let the full 17 gallons in because of the filler neck location... if you took the sending unit out and filled through that hole you might be able to get it in there don't ya think?
                  Sounds possible. Maybe they are marking it as a 17 gallon tank, but it's actual capacity is limited because of it's shape? I'm not looking for more capacity, because that would mean higher cost of gas at one time to fill up.

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                  I put 15.5 in my wagon once after it died going around a long turning exit ramp. I've never carried a can with me and driven any of them bone dry.
                  Sounds about right to me. I would say I wore my sedan to bone dry and like I mentioned before, on a full fill up the receipt asid 14.8xx gallons.

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                  Which is exactly why i don't think the tank takes 17 gallons

I have never heard of any cb7 taking 17 gallons

I've ran out of gas in my car before and never put more than 14-15 in it.
                  Me either for that matter. When ever I saw a cb7 for sale, the selling point was always "$40 a week fill up". Lets say that we are back at the time I saw such ads, $3.20 x 17 = $54.4. At that time, I've never heard of that. Even when gas cost me $3.59 the final cost was never that high.

Originally posted by L_U_D_I_AAccord View Post
                  yea that's pretty funny... I used to have a 02 Civic ex that Honda claimed it had a 13.4 gallon tank but on a few occasions I end up driving the car to almost complete empty and actually filled up 14.5 gallons
                  I think we have a myth to be busted :l

Comment

i never see over 14 gallons
                    frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

I've drained by cb to 16.1 gallons once, it was literally running of fumes, and would sputter on slight inclines... my needle was at the bottom - in the letter E; when my gas light comes on at about 13-14 gallons used. Thats why I always say, good luck trying to get that last 1 gallon "puddle" out of the gas tank.
                      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Not sure why but when I ran out of gas, my cb only took 11.5 gallons. When the light would come on, it would take about 10 even. I always figured it was the sending unit floating too high, but when I finally ran out and it only took 11.5, wasn't sure what the deal was.
                        98' Mustang 3V Swap
                        11' VW CC R36

Comment

Could be worse. My Ford E350 has a 35 gallon tank. It really hurts to fill that. And on a good day it gets 15 mpg.
                          Last edited by Fleetw00d; 03-06-2012, 06:44 PM.
                          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I've put in 16.1 gallons before. This was to the point where my orange light was on for like two days. Nothing but fumes came out when I took the gas cap off. I filled up, and gas spat out (not a lot).
                            The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Step one: Enlarge your testicles
                              Step two: Drive till you can put in more than 16.2 gallons, as I have done.
                              Step three: Come back and let me know your circumference.
                              MRT
                              37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                              30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                              27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                              Originally posted by Tippey764
                              I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                              Originally posted by deevergote
                              sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Working...
                              X