First Road Trip in 2005 Lincoln Town Car, 26.7 MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Road Trip in 2005 Lincoln Town Car, 26.7 MPG

Bought this 2005 Town Car in 2008 with about 57,000 miles on it; currently approaching 67,000; 4.6 liter V8. Finally took it on a long road trip (Cincinnati, OH to Pensacola, FL) because we only have one daughter left at home and didn't need all the space in the E350 (at maybe 14 mpg).

I was pleasantly surprised that I got 26.7 mpg (as calculated by the car and confirmed with gas purchase) for the trip down here, running pretty much at the speed limit and with AC on most of the time. Makes me feel like I have to work on the Accords more to improve their mileage.

9/21/2014: Just calculated mileage for the whole trip, just a hair above 25 mpg for the trip plus one round trip to church this morning.
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 04-20-2018, 04:45 PM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
    Makes me feel like I have to work on the Accords more to improve their mileage.
    Stick a V8 in the Accords?
    Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
      Stick a V8 in the Accords?
      Little more of a swap than I care to try.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

That is pretty good from what I have heard people getting in there Crown Vics and the like. How was the car to sit in for such a long trip?

Comment

probably great read online somewhere some dealers buy up any late model Town Cars
          " Insert funny quote here "

Comment

Originally posted by ol blue View Post
            That is pretty good from what I have heard people getting in there Crown Vics and the like. How was the car to sit in for such a long trip?
            My biggest complaint is that because of my height (5'17"), I tend to look out the top of the windshield and the rear view mirror blocks a fair amount of my vision. Arm rests wind up being too low to rest my arms on, mostly had to bring my knees up (with cruise on) to rest my arms on. Not much side support in the seat (but I don't drive it like my Accords). The leather makes for sweaty shirt and pants after a while, particularly when in/out often when driving around town. Even with the tires aired up, it's still too "floaty" on the road. All in all, I'd prefer to drive my CB7.

Comment

My wife got Odyssey fever - so the Lincoln had to go. We drove it less than 14,000 miles in 7.5 years. To reduce the number of vehicles (to get insurance cost down), I'll probably sell her 93 LX 5 speed as well (it may be like selling one of my children); we've had that one since 2004.

Comment

Man, I was just admiring the Lincoln, too! Can't go wrong with an Odyssey, though. Depending on the trim, they can be incredibly luxurious!

I'm impressed that the Lincoln got such good mileage. I don't think I've been able to get more than 25mpg from my CTS-V! Granted, it's a significantly larger engine, and fuel economy was likely of little concern when GM made it!

If you sell the 93 LX 5 speed, you'll be selling the lowest mileage one of them all! (going by your signature, anyway.)

Comment

It was a beautiful car, but not fun to drive around town - you just don't drive it like an Accord. After wanting it so badly, I think my wife only drove it once or twice because she was afraid of getting hit or messing it up. I was impressed with the mileage as well; for the entire 7.5 years it averaged 23.2 mpg (probably 90% of driving was on the highway). Sold yesterday for $7400.

Actually, the 92 coupe has fewer miles (not much). Somehow, I'm not quite as attached to Silver (93 LX 5spd) as I am to Ruby, Rose (92 coupe), and the wagon. None of the kids are too keen on driving a manual at this point and I hope I can get more for it with the lower miles.

Jade (93 EX sedan) may become the property of daughter #3 when she gets home from college in May - time for her to take some responsibility for her transportation. If she wants to spend money on something else, then it may be up for grabs as well.
                  Last edited by Fleetw00d; 04-30-2016, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X