Wireless Internet Woes (POS!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Internet Woes (POS!)

Ok, I have a Verizon wireless card. Its been nothing but a piece of fucking shit since day one. It takes forever even to get a full text page to load.

However, it says on my statistics (in the Verizon program) that I'm currently downloading at 200 kbps.

The shit I'm downloading out of Limewire right now, is downloading at 8 kbps. I'm wondering - WTF!

I'm tired of this shit and if I cant get the internet speed to the range I was promised, I'm gonna get rid of it. I was promised 1.5 dl speeds in a VZW service area. The most I've ever seen was like 50-60 a second, and that was for 30 seconds, only one time.

The rest of the time its a waste of $70 a month, and I want it gone.

Anybody know anything about troubleshooting before I get rid of it?

call and bitch at them about it?
    F22b + MP1A = mad fun for me now. . .

MY RIDE
    My swap parts list and pricing

vouches:
    Bought from: Smeagren83(quite a few times now LOL), 97lude, AZaccord, M3torz2nR, g7kobayashi, sickoffthe206 and Kurobei, Jarhead, prNonVtec4u, caserX

Sold to: Snailin91, Smeagren83, cb7dazz, Drummersteve7, Slick

Comment

On my Compaq Presario laptop I get 54 Mbps, Somethings up with your transfer rate - Or maybe thats just its limit.
      Also how far away are you from the receiver?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Waste money much?
        To-Do List for Today
        Be Awesome

Comment

Do like the rest of us and jack a wireless signal instead of paying 70 bucks a month :O seriously man thats ALOT for internet service.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
            On my Compaq Presario laptop I get 54 Mbps, Somethings up with your transfer rate - Or maybe thats just its limit.
            Also how far away are you from the receiver?
            54MBit/s is maximum data rate for wireless g. Its very doubtful youre transferring anything at 54MBit/s on any connection.
            -Mark-
            CB7
            CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
            Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

That service is not worth it unless you do lots to traveling, or have a need to be on the internet while moving.

But, limewire is going to make the rest of the internet seem slow.
              Gary A.K.A. Carter
              [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Who the fuck still uses limewire.

Comment

Wireless is really never going to download fast unless your 20ft from a access point. But 70 bucks a month for that stuff is too much. So you have the verizon car that connects to the cell phone network right? Well if you do the main purpose of that product it to give you access to the internet anywhere. Its not very useful at home or at work or anything like that i would say in travel would be the best way to use it or in the middle of nowhere. How are you using it and what was the reason you bought it?
                  1991 Accord Ex F22a4 Daily Driver
                  1992 Acura Integra LS B18c swap
                  1994 Civic Dx Gsr swap

Comment

I get only 10 kbps average for torrent downloads on my broadband.

You guys are lucky

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
                    Honda Accord Euro-R
                    Honda Odyssey Absolute
                    Honda City I-DSi
                    Honda Stream

Comment

I think he means he has VZW's wireless service and not just a wireless nic. In either case, go here : www.speakeasy.net/speedtest
                      Run it from the location closest to you and post the results.
                      My Car
                      FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

we used to have verizon dsl, their 1.5/768 service. most of the time we were getting throughput similar to that of .5 / 128 service. after lots of calls and complaining, they kept testing the lines and assured us everything was okay - then when my father threatened to cancel the service that very second they "fixed the problem" and we got full bandwidth back, with no explanation as to why we were actually being limited. weve gone back and forth with them for similar things OVER and OVER so we pitched them for cable and have been SO happy since.

verizon does shit like this... theyve got pretty good architecture, but they are a horribly cheating company.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                        Current cars:
                        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Yeah, most of the people here are confusing 802.11 a/b/g Wifi with EVDO or Edge.

One key thing to remember about all internet service is units. It might say 1.5 Mb/second, but 1.5 Mega-bits (lowercase b) only comes out to 192 KB/s.

EVDO or Edge (IMO) sucks. I think you'd have to be within 100 feet of a tower to actually get decent speeds out of it. The program probably just shows your max possible connection speed, in the same way windows will say 54 Mb/s for regular wireless. Just because it might be able to connect at that speed doesn't mean that it will. In fact, most of the time regular wireless only connects at a fraction of 54, most of the time due to interference.
                          Last edited by benji; 04-24-2008, 12:54 PM.
                          1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Originally posted by mchaley
                            I think he means he has VZW's wireless service and not just a wireless nic. In either case, go here : www.speakeasy.net/speedtest
                            Run it from the location closest to you and post the results.
                            mhm
                            My Car
                            FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

Originally posted by ACC0RD22
                              54MBit/s is maximum data rate for wireless g. Its very doubtful youre transferring anything at 54MBit/s on any connection.
                              OIC My transfers on limewire and other downloads are usually around 80kbps with a peak of around 120kps.
                              I guess 54Mbit/s is just the connection speed to the wireless modem?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X