California to ban black cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by owequitit View Post

If you take that as a "bashing So Cal" post, then that is your choice. It is an observation that emmissions standards in your area are a REACTION to the problem, not a solution for it.
    Oh yeah? What about the low rider? Where did that originate?

Wasnt that orginated in California by the mexican americans?

I'm just giving you a hard time. I never said California was the "originator" for everything. Some people have a STRONG disbelief in that. But what I do know is that alot of people in california have good taste

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
    Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
    NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
      An argument against that, though, is in the childhood memories of my dad and his friends. They grew up near downtown LA back in the late 50's and early 60's. They clearly remember not being allowed to go out to recess because the air quality was so bad. Running for more than 20 minutes at a time would leave you heaving for oxygen, and not just carbon monoxide, and burning eyes weren't uncommon. Now, LA is obviously much larger (admittedly far too large) and yet the air quality is FAR better.

And I don't think cars have suffered too much since the 50's due to emissions regulations, despite the complaints put up by the big 3 in the 70s.

Don't get me wrong, though. I definitely agree with the population factor of emissions control. Waste and water management in LA is a humongous problem, specifically due to population. I hate driving 50 miles out from downtown LA and landing in some disgustingly uniform tract home development. And, it makes me even more sick when I realize that every person living in those far-too-large houses now has to drive (and of course polluting) 15 miles to get to a grocery store or a community worth being in.

A large part of pollution problems would be quelled with a smaller population, but its awfully hard to ask a percentage of LA to walk off a pier.
      Couple of notes though.

1) A big part of the problem for LA is the big huge 10,000-12,000' wall of mountains that keeps air from moving out of the basin. As long as those mountains are there, you are going to have issues.

However, that does not mean that you can universally leverage that sentiment everywhere else. Phoenix didn't have huge air quality issues back in the day. They do now. The main thing that has changed is the size of the population. Cars there are far cleaner now too, and still, it is much worse that even 10 years ago when I went to college.

Also, to note that back in the 50's and 60's, the LA basin was quite agricultural/industrial. Unfortunately, while being fertile, the by products of that agriculture would have been trapped by those mountains and sea breezes much as car pollution is today. We don't even have to talk about the crap being spewed out of factories back then. Part of the issue is that we are trying to use outdated solutions to new problems. While I would totally agree that back then having no pollution control was not a good idea, I believe the root problem has shifted from what things are spewing out, to how many of them are spewing them, what mechanisms are in place to cleanse that crap etc.

Phoenix didn't have as much trouble with the agriculture, because there was more natural air movement.

And believe me, everytime the winds come and clear your valley out, on the rare occasions it does, WE KNOW IT. You can smell that shit from 50 miles away.

The part that REALLY pisses me off about LA is the fact that you keep pumping more and more water out of the Colorado River, which leaves US with bigger water issues, that we have done nothing to deserve. LA and Las Vegas to be fair.

Arizona isn't without fault in that category either, as the Central Arizona Project canal sees roughly 20-50% of its water evaporate before it even gets to Phoenix (whoever decided to build an open canal through the hottest part of the US is beyond me).
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by lil_dcb7 View Post
        Oh yeah? What about the low rider? Where did that originate?

Wasnt that orginated in California by the mexican americans?

I'm just giving you a hard time. I never said California was the "originator" for everything. Some people have a STRONG disbelief in that. But what I do know is that alot of people in california have good taste
        Actually, my favorite style of 50's Hot Rods were predominant in California, as were the Beach Boys, and a lot of other good music in the 50's/60's, which go along with my love for 50's Hot Rods. So no, not all of SoCal is bad, but sometimes they need their ego checked too.

Also, you last statement reminds me of Cheech and Chong.
        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
          you see, i discussed the topic of humans and thier future with my buddy who's going into bioengineering.

if we dont begin restricting things now, we'll run into a situation where the world will simply just not be able to provide enough support for human beings. what will we do from there? who decides who needs to die? I believe that we should get our act together and look in 50 years. human life will begin to grow exponentially.

i say we give people the "option". you either begin doing something productive to the society or you simply dont live. In America, you are given freedom. well "the option" is a freedom, if you want to live, you have to do these certain circumstances. thats a choice you need to make and i say thats plenty of freedom.

Im sick of seeing all these fucking bums and losers. get a job and try and give back to the economy.
          lol.. Have you been paying attention to the way the country is going?

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
            They clearly remember not being allowed to go out to recess because the air quality was so bad. Running for more than 20 minutes at a time would leave you heaving for oxygen, and not just carbon monoxide, and burning eyes weren't uncommon.
            LOL.. At my current state I cant run for 20 minutes in utopia air and not be heaving for oxygen..

Comment

Lol wow
              my whipp

Comment

Working...
              X