Jetta the new Civic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jetta the new Civic?

It seems as though everyone is getting Volkswagens. Why?

I remember back in the day when everyone had to have an EG or the like. They once were popular, got tossed around like a dirty whore, and most of them can now be seen on CL with rust, in need of head gaskets or rebuilds, in flat black acrylic spray, for $1000.

Many of my friends owned Hondas of some kind at one point. One had a very clean BB6 in electron pearl; and it was a dream to drive. Two years ago he got a 1500 Z71 from our chevy store and then just last week he texted me to meet up. I thought we were meeting for munchies @ the diner, but instead he showed up with a mark 4 GTI. I'm sorry but how is badgeless grilles, techtonics tips, and euro plates any different than some of the parts we drool over? There is none...they all look the same to me now.

Is this a trend elsewhere? seems like people just own whatever everyone else owns at the time..I know some of these guys are hardcore VW enthusiasts, but most of them just follow the trend. I think modding cars should be done for yourself. What are your guys' thoughts?? I hate it when people say VW's are super clean, and that Hondas are junk.
    Last edited by DJ metadelic; 07-28-2011, 12:03 PM.

life is good.

I think personally it depends on the individual who owns the car. Alot of people are moving up and they dont want to be given that boy racer image or they are getting older and want something a little bit more comfortable. Your least likely to get pulled over in a volkswaggon than a civic when hooked up. I also think it draws less attention.

Ever got that feeling that as you are driving by no matter where you are you have other car enthusists its almost like a secret society. You can be driving around in a sportscar normal drivers wont take notice like that and you can see another car enthusiast like whos that and your like who's that driving that car and you both look straight ahead and keep it moving or may end up racing each other somewhere along down the line.

Comment

I've never really liked Jettas. Guess I don't get it. But I do almost as many Civics as Jettas. Hmm.

Btw, is it just me, or are Jettas just super uncomfortable? I've been in the front and back of an '04, my friend had to borrow his mom's car one day last year because his Diamante was in the shop, and I was in the back of it like everyday the year before, and it's just a million times less comfortable than just about every other vehicle I'm in regularly.

Comment

I've done the VW thing and I had a bad experience. The car I bought was a modified, haggard, POS with nothing but problems.

I didn't do any of the mods on the car and everywhere I went, people would wave, give me thumbs up, stop and ask me about it. It was such a totally lame looking car when parked next to my old silver SE. But did anyone ever wave and give me thumbs up in the Accord? No. All I ever got was "fuckin ricer."

Comment

I'll take a Civic over a Jetta any day. Just because I know I can run a Civic hard, hit the rev limit daily and all I need to do is change oil twice a year and nothing will break.

Perhaps some get into VWs because they follow a trend like you said... but don't we do that too? Who cares what the reasoning is for getting any particular vehicle? If you get enjoyment out of driving/fixing it, then that's all that matters.

Also, you can drive a Civic and not look like a boy ricer. IMO you could have a nice job where you wear nice suits to work and show up in an 8th or 9th gen Civic and look very "professional"... as long as it doesn't have any exterior mods that make it look faster than it really is.

Comment

i dont get what is so puzzling.... it has a following, whether ur into it or not someone sees something in it. for fucks sake this is a 90-93 honda accord website. whats so hard to grasp here?

"Tucking tires and wires."
            The Chronicles.

Comment

Civics are still the civics of the tuner world where I'm at/Was (Southern IA/Northern VA).

People around here at least just have no tolerance for VW's and all the bullshit they seem to bring with them.
              "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
              "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
              Disregard females, acquire currency
              BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
                i dont get what is so puzzling.... it has a following, whether ur into it or not someone sees something in it. for fucks sake this is a 90-93 honda accord website. whats so hard to grasp here?
                Winner!

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                  Winner!
                  Chicken Dinnar.
                  Henry R
                  Koni/Neuspeed
                  1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                  1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                  Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                  made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

I guess I don't find it puzzling, just annoying. It's a trend, at least around here. I own hondas because I've had way too many over the years and they're really all I know even with my eyes covered. Not because they're the "in" thing.

life is good.

Comment

I have a EG HB as my DD for now and saw a nice 2000 passat wagon dropped that i wouldnt mind having. Its what you like. dont put yourself in a catagory like the 90% of the VW owners do. Im tired of this Honda vs VW shit.
                      Last edited by H22WAGON93; 07-28-2011, 11:44 PM.
                      NEW PSN
                      H22wagon

New project. 95 EG HB H22
                      RIP

Comment

i honestly think any 3 series bimmer is the new civic

no
                        Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                        $30 HID kits here Thread
                        "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                        "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

The 240 took over as the new civic once drifting became the thing to do....so whatever takes over next....is the new 240

just sayin

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

Originally posted by H22WAGON93 View Post
                            I have a EG HB as my DD for now and saw a nice 2000 passat wagon dropped that i wouldnt mind having. Its what you like. dont put yourself in a catagory like the 90% of the VW owners do. Im tired of this Honda vs VW shit.
                            I don't put myself in a category per se, I like some other imports, and a few of the better American cars that haven't been watered down or gone down in quality much. But most of the time I'd take a Honda over whatever else is available. The Honda vs. VW things makes sense. You're comparing actual quality and reliability. But it's when it becomes a fanboi pissing match that it gets dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by CBro7 View Post
                              I don't put myself in a category per se, I like some other imports, and a few of the better American cars that haven't been watered down or gone down in quality much. But most of the time I'd take a Honda over whatever else is available. The Honda vs. VW things makes sense. You're comparing actual quality and reliability. But it's when it becomes a fanboi pissing match that it gets dumb.
                              Thats what im saying.Thats why Ive never owned a VW. But I like all cars. Most VW owners cant say the same.

Edit: Its the VW owners that want to battle more is what Im trying to say
                              NEW PSN
                              H22wagon

New project. 95 EG HB H22
                              RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X