Its amazing how few new Japanese performance cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rexload View Post
    Nothing against the Genesis but those are just numbers, who knows if it can keep up with the Si.
    I saw one square off with a g35 I think that says it. The thing the si has on it only is vtec and weight. I think its all hype in my personal opinion all is over rated until boost comes in or try both vtec and boost mivec,gtec whatevertec its all bullshit and mostly hype.Everytime I see one its riced to all hell. I respect the people who just keep their cars clean and not mimick each other to death it shows lack of leadership and originality.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeet Skeet View Post
      Well Toyota/Scion is coming out with the FR-S. Front engine, rear wheel drive, sports car = FR-S.
      I've only seen it called the FT-86

Originally posted by cbscandal View Post
      I heard about that. Isn't it supposed to be the successor to the AE86?
      Yes, but unfortunately instead of a newer version of the 4age line, its got a shity flat 4 in it...

Originally posted by Law Grandeur View Post
      supposedly. some call it the ft-86 and so on.
      I wish they'd bring back the 1UZFE and slap it in the FT-86. Toyota V8 power...would be much more suitable for it than a subaru motor. I miss Japanese originality between manufacturers...

Originally posted by Makaveli2k
      White girls make the world go round. If I were to be stranded on an island and I could only 3 things to bring with me It'd be 2 different white girls. And a Smashing pumpkins Cd... I hear they like that shit. =p

Comment

Originally posted by CBro7 View Post
        I'm with deeve.
        Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
        Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
        Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
        Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
        Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
        Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by 91_CB7_Sedan View Post
          I wish they'd bring back the 1UZFE and slap it in the FT-86. Toyota V8 power...would be much more suitable for it than a subaru motor. I miss Japanese originality between manufacturers...
          dude that motor is just sex. too bad they stuck it on pig heavy cars. still, i wouldnt mind a sc400 or ls400. 15s stock (sorta slow lol) but has so much potential. sound so beastly too!

no
          Accord turbo kit under $2k here
          $30 HID kits here Thread
          "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
          "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Originally posted by Law Grandeur View Post
            supposedly. some call it the ft-86 and so on. its looks like a celica/supra mix. if they actually release the car, scion might have a car i actually like. until then, scion are for women

btw built by subaru lol

http://www.insideline.com/scion/fr-s..._ss_51911.html
            It's a joint project between Toyota and Subaru. Toyota will get the 200hp RWD version, and Subaru will get the 250hp AWD version.

It's unfortunate that it's going to be a Scion. Right now, in terms of "sporty" and "cool"... scion at least has the tC. Lexus has the IS-F and LF-A. Toyota has NOTHING. They need something to breathe life back into their boring anchor brand!

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
            I saw one square off with a g35 I think that says it. The thing the si has on it only is vtec and weight. I think its all hype in my personal opinion all is over rated until boost comes in or try both vtec and boost mivec,gtec whatevertec its all bullshit and mostly hype.Everytime I see one its riced to all hell. I respect the people who just keep their cars clean and not mimick each other to death it shows lack of leadership and originality.
            VTEC and similar technology is only "hype" when someone doesn't understand it. It's not some turbo replacement... just a way to increase the usable powerband of an engine. For what it is, it is amazing (and Honda is the frontrunner.)
            The Civic Si is a great car. It has a ton of potential. However, it's not a true sports car, IMO. Doesn't mean it can't be fast, or win races... I just don't classify it as a sports car.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              The EVO is just a souped up Lancer. HEAVILY modified from the factory, but it's still a Lancer. I wouldn't call my CB7 a sports car if I made it AWD and pushed 300hp from my H22...
              The same goes for the STi. It's just an Impreza.
              Actually, pretty soon the STi will be on it's own platform, completely separate from the Impreza. Which I think will truly classify it as a sports car especially since it will be losing 2 doors.

I think the main thing here is the difference between a sports car, and a sporty car.

Sports car= expensive, generally fast, eye catching.

Sporty car= more affordable, not produced in limited numbers, more like hot hatches.

That's just how I see it in my head.

Fiat 500 Abarth. Yea it's pretty quick, but is it a sports car? I don't think so. Same goes for the Civic and GTI and any other relatively inexpensive fast car.

Comment

I didn't know that about the STi... sweet! So it'll be going to R35 GT-R status (the previous GT-Rs were just souped up Skylines, which are boring people haulers in lesser trim... the R32-R34 GT-R are some of my dream cars, but I still wouldn't call them true sports cars... now the R35 qualifies.)

I know many of the cars such as the Evo, STi, even back to the Integra Type R all have upgraded platforms, sheet metal, etc... so they're not exactly base model grocery getters with stiff suspensions and beastly engines.

I agree with your descriptions, except for one point. I don't think a sports car HAS to be expensive. The Miata is one of the purest sports cars on the market, and it's not overly expensive (though the price is getting a bit inflated as of late...) It's also not very fast. Of course, the purpose of the Miata is to handle like it's on rails... and it accomplishes that quite well!

Comment

I didn't know that about the STi... sweet! So it'll be going to R35 GT-R status (the previous GT-Rs were just souped up Skylines, which are boring people haulers in lesser trim... the R32-R34 GT-R are some of my dream cars, but I still wouldn't call them true sports cars... now the R35 qualifies.)

I know many of the cars such as the Evo, STi, even back to the Integra Type R all have upgraded platforms, sheet metal, etc... so they're not exactly base model grocery getters with stiff suspensions and beastly engines.

I agree with your descriptions, except for one point. I don't think a sports car HAS to be expensive. The Miata is one of the purest sports cars on the market, and it's not overly expensive (though the price is getting a bit inflated as of late...) It's also not very fast. Of course, the purpose of the Miata is to handle like it's on rails... and it accomplishes that quite well!
                  Yes I'm excited about the dedication for its own platform as well. Looks like they might be going back to the AWD coupes of yesteryear.

As for the Miata, I completely overlooked that example, ignorance on my part. I would also consider that a sports car and a pretty good one at that.

Comment

Civic SI. Id call it a performance car.

Comment

Performance, sure. Sports, not really.

Comment

Performance, sure. Sports, not really.
                        LOl I like frontwheel drive once traction is caught. After going through awd it was a serious difference especially in the rain and snow I just laugh.

Comment

I'm not saying FWD is bad... just that I can't see a FWD car as a true "sports car" in most cases. A FWD can be plenty fast, plenty sporty, and do very well on a race track. That still doesn't qualify it as a sports car in my mind.

The 3000GT somehow slips through the cracks, as I consider that a sports car... however, I'd never want the FWD version when there's a 320hp AWD version to be had!

Comment

I was just looking at that Hyundai Genesis Coupe. No, it's not Japanese, but holy shit. I think I'd actually buy one. They hit a home run. I'd take one of those over most of the fwd cars, which are about the same price.

Comment

I've seen one go head to head with a 370z... and the Z stomped it.

Still, even if it's not as good as the Z (which has been evolving since the 60s...) it's still a 300hp RWD sports car that looks pretty decent. I know the turbo model was designed with tuning in mind (Hyundai slyly leaked the fact that the ECU is very easy to crack...) and the V6 is pretty solid.

Comment

I've seen one go head to head with a 370z... and the Z stomped it.

Still, even if it's not as good as the Z (which has been evolving since the 60s...) it's still a 300hp RWD sports car that looks pretty decent. I know the turbo model was designed with tuning in mind (Hyundai slyly leaked the fact that the ECU is very easy to crack...) and the V6 is pretty solid.
                                I stomped a 370z with my srt I think its becasue of my weight though. I cant understand the concept of deep dicsh wheels to a certain degree they look retarded. Hoenstly the 370 looks like a overgrown stingray fish. The gtr35 looks like a oversized king crab.

Comment

Working...
                                X