• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tool Heads Part 2 :brands

I am getting back into purchasing some more tools for my hoard

i lloked for the old thread about tool quality and could not find it

will try again with that

but back on topic

do any members here buy from the big 4 tool trucks, Snap-on/Mac/Matco/Cornwell and how are your experiences wit them

i met up with the local Mac guy and got a catalog and ordered from him the VP210MMR 10mm 12 point impact for when I do stock Accord brakes to remove the 12 pint bolts that hold the hub to the spindle. I am going to meet up with the guy who is starting a new Cornwell route in a week for a few things

let me know what you guys think about the companies
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Bump

Comment

I have only ever bought from one of the trucks once but have looked before (mostly because of finances) the experiences I have had on the trucks were pretty good, they didn't try to pressure me into buying something I couldn't afford. With how many of my cheap tools have broken, I look forward to being able to buy more tools from the trucks.
      1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
      1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
      1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
      1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

Never bought from the trucks but people that do are usually heavily in debt or they make a real profession out of their tools. I buy from harbor freight cause Im broke yo.

Comment

i used to buy years (and i mean years) ago

got the new Cornwell catalog in the mail today with a few fliers

and i was never heavy in debt with these guys, I was careful how I bought

I use Harbor Freight stuff too

Comment

I've only used on high-end tool in my life... a Snap-On ratchet that my neighbor loaned me when my Craftsman stopped working. The accuracy of the thing was incredible. It just felt so solid, and it was old as dirt!
            I don't wrench nearly enough to justify buying the high end stuff, but it does make a difference when used regularly. I don't know if was that particular experience, the fact that I see their trucks more often than any others, or some other reason... but Snap-On would be my choice for most things.

Comment

I was breaking loose head bolts and bell house bolts with an old husky ratchet, and I am still using it for other heavy duty stuff.
              Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                I've only used on high-end tool in my life... a Snap-On ratchet that my neighbor loaned me when my Craftsman stopped working. The accuracy of the thing was incredible. It just felt so solid, and it was old as dirt!
                I don't wrench nearly enough to justify buying the high end stuff, but it does make a difference when used regularly. I don't know if was that particular experience, the fact that I see their trucks more often than any others, or some other reason... but Snap-On would be my choice for most things.
                funny thing , i was contacted by a Cornwell rep today who asked me if i would be interested in possibly becoming a franchise owner. They do not have a distributor in NYC or Long Island

hmmmmmmmm

in regards to the high end stuff, i have a broken Matco socket that i bought back in 1986 and it is still under warranty. i printed out all the necessary paperwork and just have to ship it out tomorrow
                Last edited by bobbycos; 04-22-2014, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
                  funny thing , i was contacted by a Cornwell rep today who asked me if i would be interested in possibly becoming a franchise owner. They do not have a distributor in NYC or Long Island

hmmmmmmmm

in regards to the high end stuff, i have a broken Matco socket that i bought back in 1986 and it is still under warranty. i printed out all the necessary paperwork and just have to ship it out tomorrow
                  Lifetime warranty ftw. I bet they don't get too many warranty claims from something bought 27 years ago lol
                  MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202004
                  1992 Accord EX(Canadian)Seattle Silver sedan

Comment

Matco, Snap-on, and Mac tools. Each has their own tools sets that the other doesnt have and makes the job a little easier. All of my tools/storage are paid for (well over 20k).

when you do it for a living, buying the nicer stuff really helps at times when a craftsman socket will typically crack.

and yes, the nice ratchets are 100x better than what you buy in a store.
                    www.850fab.com
                    IG - @850Fab
                    FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

Just got off the phone with Snap on customer service and they are sending me a repair kit for my old ratchet. 25 years old and still with warranty.

Sweet

Also got my local Snap-on dealer info.

Comment

Im a boat technician by trade. I have basically every tool brand known to man. They all sink the same to me. As far as the trucks I have Snap-on stop by my work every friday. If I need to get something warrentied from Matco Ill call him & meet up on lunch somewhere. Mac is the same. Actually lives near me. Havnt seen a Cornwell truck in years. Eventually Ill have all Snap-on for everything. Their trucks are always around. No issues with them for great quality tools.
                        Kyle C

2002 Accord Sedan EX - standard- daily status

1991 Accord Wagon LX - auto - 304K & slipping transmission

Comment

every time the snap on guy comes around to my dealership i always buy something. :/
                          COUPE K24

Comment

Snap-on Ratchets are exceptional. I am going to get a full set of them from my local truck. The amount of teeth they have compared to Craftsman, Gear Wrench, or Husky ratchets make them more than worth the cost!

When it comes to impact wrenches: Dewalt or Craftsman?
                            *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                            ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                            ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                            "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                            Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                            The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                            Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Dewalt is owned by Mac

Got a new Matco catalogue today, they have a @$9000 toolbox in it that is white in color with chrome trim

Where would I put it.

Comment

Working...
                              X