No announcement yet.

Suggestion for CB7Tuner Archiving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not working the crazy job anymore, so updating is much, much easier to do.

The shared account seems doable, but the tricky thing is keeping track of everyone that's actually doing the work. Mods come and go, and even the most dedicated and reliable ones disappear... for good reasons, or for no reason at all. I'm hesitant to rely on a transient staff to keep up with something so important.

Comment

Yea I hear you.

Well like I said, Ive pretty much been here 24/7 since I joined.

Id love to get it setup and running, it would be time consuming but I think kind of fun. Wish there was a better way to integrate it into the forum but I agree keeping the VBB software/system/server the way it is, until you're forced to change is probably the best option so that's why I think using off-site such as a Flickr is the best option.

Once it is setup it would not need anyone to really run it. Its not like their is maintenance. I mean Flickr does go offline once in a while for their own maintenance but other than that, once its setup the only thing would be adding new DIY to it and that really would only need one person to do. Its easy to figure out. Most of the mods who are regulars are pretty computer savy. If they can operate the mod functions on cb7 they can probably figure out how to upload photos into a new folder and then copy over the links to here.

Its also pretty customizable as far as permissions. Who can see/share/download. Sizes available etc.

Comment

What you want to do about the front page?

No new AOM lol.

Wow so crazy nothing since Oct 15.....

I remember when there was so much AOM activity we had drama over the process and people were mad at each other etc.

So crazy how everything has slowed to a crawl.

Well idk if you just want me to randomly pick someone or you want to wait and see if it picks up again or you want to just make a thread and have people vote on who should get the front page etc.

Up to you boss man!

Comment

By having the images hosted on a single Flickr account, we'd need at least one dedicated staff member to download the member-supplied images, upload the images to the Flickr account, and then edit the DIY thread to point to the CB7tuner Flickr, rather than the member's original image host.
          It would be a tedious task, and I don't imagine people would be terribly interested in keeping up with it for very long.

As you can see... even AoM fell apart due to lack of interest (Joey got deployed to Djibouti, and nobody maintained that section... not even me... granted, nobody was being nominated anyway.)

If you want to do the front page, do whatever you want to do. You have an artistic eye, so I have faith that it'll look good!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            By having the images hosted on a single Flickr account, we'd need at least one dedicated staff member to download the member-supplied images, upload the images to the Flickr account, and then edit the DIY thread to point to the CB7tuner Flickr, rather than the member's original image host.
            It would be a tedious task, and I don't imagine people would be terribly interested in keeping up with it for very long.
            Yea that is true.

Hopefully someone will get motivated to do it.

How many worthwhile DIY do we have here?

What would you guestimate?

200?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

If you want to do the front page, do whatever you want to do. You have an artistic eye, so I have faith that it'll look good!
              OK ill play around with it one night this weekend or next week and come up with something.

Comment

IMO the AOM should be deleted. Just a popularity contest for the most part and doesn't reflect those who really should be in there and/or cars that deserve it. Replace it with a real AOM where the user is selected, interviewed and a decent article can be written. One that inspires folks. Maybe twice a year, or once a year. Breaks my heart to see cb7s on here which are beyond inspiring, amazing, and serious but are not AOM because they have no friends, enough people to vote for them, or live in a remote location (ie- DragonEye)

All DIY that have no photos or videos should be deleted. Otherwise they are really useless and the comprehension of it is based on the writing ability of the OP. IE - hard to show proper tools, tips and tricks with out photos.

As for Flickr, good idea. Be sure to make an account that you can pass around to many and make sure it allows multiple sign-ins. This will be a long-term account and anyone who wants to submit a DIY will have to work with the DIY OP to make it happen. I would also recommend creating a similar youtube account for videos.

As always, I don't mind helping where I can.

Comment

I agree on the AoM, though many people in the past (when it was active) would try to seek out noteworthy cars that were deserving of attention. Quite a few people that were lacking "friends" on here got nominated. Some even won. Granted, the whole nomination system required cars that were noticed, impressive enough to be noticed, and (unfortunately) photographed well enough to draw the eye. Some truly impressive performance builds on here aren't much to look at... and they don't get much attention (granted, the most powerful have their own place for recognition.)
                  No matter what, people will get overlooked, and the selection of cars that are highly noticeable (highly active owners, regularly talked about, etc...) will always be picked.
                  We did make an effort to limit the "popularity contest" by forbidding active campaigning for votes. I've even voted against friends in favor of cars that I thought were more impressive.
                  The whole thing may just go away altogether, honestly. We're not active enough to really have such a competition. If you want to see the most interesting CB7s, just looking at the first page of the Members Rides section will show you the majority of the active ones.

Right now, the DIYs without pictures are not deleted because I'm hoping we will eventually be able to rewrite the good ones with pictures. Some of them are well-written. Some are junk... but that's something we'll need to do over time.

A community Flickr account is a BAD idea. It would just take one immature, vindictive douchebag to log in and delete EVERY picture. That would be like handing out a key to my garage so people can donate parts for my car. Unless there's a way for people to upload pictures, but not be allowed permission to edit or delete once uploaded.

I think the solution might just be a community account that only trusted staff members can access. People can post DIY threads the same way they always have, and staffers can download/upload/edit whenever they can. If they don't keep up with it, we're no worse off than we've always been. If they do keep up with it, at least whatever they edit will be guaranteed a longer life.

Comment

Easiest way to handle flickr: FTP server that syncs to flicker. Where users can add but not delete. Or something to that fashion. There are quite a few ways I think that could be handled. Given the extra cloud space I have, I might have to test this out and see how it works. Then go from there!
                    The CB7 Collector.
                    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                    92 LX Coupe F22A1
                    2013 Toyota Corolla S
                    92 EX Sedan F22A1
                    Originally posted by deevergote
                    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

If you can figure out a way to do it reliably, it'll be a huge help!
                      I'm pretty useless with such things.

Comment

Working...
                      X