Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendation for WiFi extender

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Recommendation for WiFi extender

    So because of the placement of the router I am in need of a WiFi extender for security cameras. My current router is Nighthawk X4S model R7800. I donít want to get a whole new system, as this router is fairly new. So any techs out there have any recommendations?
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

    #2
    I used the Netgear dual band extender back in 2012 when I rented a room in a house with the main router at the other end of the house, and it worked flawlessly.
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

    F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."


    MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

    15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

    Comment


      #3
      Lately DLink has pissed me off and I've been trying TP-Link units. They are surprisingly good! Has lot's of options in the software settings, etc.

      https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC175...tronics&sr=1-3

      What grinds my gears is how they now have units with different speeds / power ratings. WAP 300/700/1200/1900, dual band, etc. I miss the old days where it was one unit, top of the line. I also miss how some WAP/routers don't do bridging mode anymore.
      Last edited by Raf99; 05-01-2019, 05:49 AM.

      Comment


        #4
        Wifi extenders are bad as they halve your throughput for connection. If your security cameras have ethernet on them the best way is to do a bridge with WDS.

        As for the speeds, those I know are confusing as hell. So when you see 1900 it's really 1300 + 600 (5Ghz and 2.4GHz). Of course that is not exact and is theoretical. I could go on and on about this as this is what I do for a living, you should both hop in the discord BAC and I would be more than happy to help you real time with what it is you are looking for!
        The CB7 Collector.
        Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
        92 LX Coupe F22A1
        2013 Toyota Corolla S
        92 EX Sedan F22A1
        Originally posted by deevergote
        Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by HappyGilmore View Post
          Wifi extenders are bad as they halve your throughput for connection. If your security cameras have ethernet on them the best way is to do a bridge with WDS.

          As for the speeds, those I know are confusing as hell. So when you see 1900 it's really 1300 + 600 (5Ghz and 2.4GHz). Of course that is not exact and is theoretical. I could go on and on about this as this is what I do for a living, you should both hop in the discord BAC and I would be more than happy to help you real time with what it is you are looking for!
          You don't think bridging an AP would work? I have ubiquiti radios that bridge to my shop for my camera out there. I can take pictures and show you my setup.
          Last edited by BreckAConner; 05-01-2019, 09:13 PM.
          For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

          1991 CB9 EX Wagon

          1990 CB7 EX Sedan

          1997 RA1 LX Wagon

          CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

          Comment


            #6
            Tp link for the win

            If adamant in WiFi, check out the net gear nighthawk line


            Very solid units
            Originally posted by wed3k
            im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

            Comment


              #7
              He currently has a nighthawk router with bridge mode capabilities. You just need a second router. No need to replace the nighthawk with something else


              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Tishock View Post
                He currently has a nighthawk router with bridge mode capabilities. You just need a second router. No need to replace the nighthawk with something else
                See I have no clue I could do that. Does the second router have to be connected to an Ethernet cable?

                I am totally dumb on computers, WiFi that kinda stuff. So act as if I’m a 2 year old learning how to write my name, when it comes to computers.
                ~Nick~
                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                  See I have no clue I could do that. Does the second router have to be connected to an Ethernet cable?

                  I am totally dumb on computers, WiFi that kinda stuff. So act as if Iím a 2 year old learning how to write my name, when it comes to computers.
                  I may be wrong, but I believe you CAN connect two routers wirelessly, but the 2nd router will only work as an access point, not an actual router.

                  Could be wrong, but last time I checked, that was the deal.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                    I may be wrong, but I believe you CAN connect two routers wirelessly, but the 2nd router will only work as an access point, not an actual router.

                    Could be wrong, but last time I checked, that was the deal.
                    Basically yes. Second router can only distribute connection speed that it is receiving

                    So if the WiFi signal is weak where the second router is placed, it will have a setting wireless connection with slow speed


                    TP link is fantastic
                    Originally posted by wed3k
                    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Did you're wall adapters ever work out for you?
                      For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

                      1991 CB9 EX Wagon

                      1990 CB7 EX Sedan

                      1997 RA1 LX Wagon

                      CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by BreckAConner View Post
                        You don't think bridging an AP would work? I have ubiquiti radios that bridge to my shop for my camera out there. I can take pictures and show you my setup.
                        That's the best way to do it. Those wall repeaters are just trash as a whole.
                        The CB7 Collector.
                        Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                        92 LX Coupe F22A1
                        2013 Toyota Corolla S
                        92 EX Sedan F22A1
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I ended up returning them. Didn’t even open the package.
                          ~Nick~
                          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                          MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X