No announcement yet.

new top speed thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hit 120 pretty easily a few times on my way back to college last weekend. I think I scared the shit out of a few people in their minivans when I passed on a one lane road going that fast lol...

Comment

ive hit 118 quite a few times, and it doesnt take long at all to get there. im sure i could go alot faster, but i keep hitting the speed governer before redlining 4th... damn jdm ecu's.

Comment

Its nice to go that fast but look at it this way how many times are you gonna be goin that speed though. BUt then again i may decide to change over to keep the speed but you have to change your timing and on top of that bump up the fuel a down a bit.

Comment

im feeling like my car is a pussy then, because i was going slghtly downhill in my 90' 4dr ex 5 speed and i was in 5th gear and the rpms would not go over 4 thousand or so, i was going around 118 at that time. pedal all the way down, just wouldn't climb up any higher. i have a intake and 2.25 piping to a muffler as exhaust, and people with stock are hitting like almost 130. does that sound bad? it gets to about 110 pretty steadily then it starts very slightly pulling its way up and eventually gets up around 118 but no higher, cuz the rpms wont move up.

any advice
          92 lx
          automatic
          slow

but its clean!..kinda

Comment

What's happening to you is called "hitting the wall". It can easily be overcome by shifting higher. Just stay in fourth gear longer and when you get into fifth you will be able to top out a little better.

Comment

Any reasoning behind that? I'd like to know why that is (I don't doubt you, i'm just curious about it)...

Comment

I'm not 100% sure about it, but I saw it in some magazine a couple years back when they were trying to set a top speed record for a civic. I think it has something to do with the rotational inertia being greater and being higher in the powerband helps too.

Comment

Makes sense... rather than using power to turn the gears more from a lower RPM, the power can get to the wheels more easily, resulting in more pull at higher speeds... That's my take on it, anyway!

Comment

ill try it again sometime when i feel brave. ill just try to redline in 4th and then shift to 5th fast as i can, hopefully the rpms will kove that way. i would feel better if i could just past that 120 mph milestone for myself. then set my goal to clip 125
                    92 lx
                    automatic
                    slow

but its clean!..kinda

Comment

130 for me, sense works been done to the motor.........100

i go over that now........shits like its on skates.
                      im not chicken.........ok maybe i am....
                      NEED RAP BEATS.....

www.soundclick.com/akcidentaltrakz

Comment

201 km/h, here, which I guess works out to about 125mph. Could prolly have kept going but I ran out of road and faith in my stock suspension. Don't play at as high speeds as much since getting trapped... I was going home late at night on the highway, hit a speed trap. Was going so fast the cop didn't try to catch me, radioed ahead.... where I was given a ticked for $387.50 for doing 143 km/h in a 100 zone (or, 88mp/h in a 60 zone).

Cop said "You were going faster than that, because I got off the radio and you were already here...."

I had been at 185km/h (115mph), trying to explode all the carbon from the engine and stretch it out. Thank god he wasn't able to snag me at that speed, or I'd be advertising performance parts now

I resolved to keep it relatively sane on the streets after that, and only do high speed runs off policed areas.

Comment

That's nothing. In my 3rd gen accord I was going 120 mph in a 60 mph zone and passed a cop sitting on the side of the highway. He didn't even turn on his lights or pull out lol. I just took the next exit and went down some back roads and I was fine. Next time you pass a cop like that just make sure that you exit the highway or get onto another road asap so they can't radio ahead like that.

Comment

kinda dangerous,you coulda killed someone.or yourself

Comment

Yeah. That's actually not a good idea. For various reasons. One of my good buddies did that, and they showed up at his house, arrested him, and took him away. Worse than a ticket... He spent the day in jail and got about $2k in charges, criminal record, etc.

Not worth it.... I sped, got caught, don't drive like that publically anymore. I completely accept responsability for driving the way I was.

Comment

$2k that musta sucked. shoulda just pulled over.

Comment

Working...
                                X