Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

affordable ho alts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onelivinlarge View Post
    yes a high output alternator and yes im running lots of audio. and i just cant seem to justify the 400-500 those companys want for a h.o. alt
    What makes you justify the need for an upgraded alternator?
    Are you having certain issues?

To everyone else in this thread - An upgraded alternator is going to increase the current supply, not voltage supply.
    A battery stores power, and an Alternator supplies power.

If you know how to calculate the amount of current draw vs current supply, then you can work out if you really need an upgraded alternator.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by cheese20323 View Post
      Dude I have no HO alt and have a 2x bigger system than you really no need in it just the batt...I even have the same batt and it aint that bad.
      yes you have bigger system your 92 also has a bigger alt. 2 im preparing for my system upgrade in the spring hint (aq2200). so i have the power to give the amps the power they want. thus the h.o. alt. oh hi cheese nice 2 see u here
      Originally posted by osl View Post
      WRONG!

I want to know what kind of equipment you have and if you have a volt meter to monitor your voltage. I have a 165 amp alt, big3, redtop in the front, XS power battery in the rear and when I still had my Orion xtr pro2400, it would go down to low 12's on full tilt. I've killed alternators because of systems before. I can almpst guarantee that you're not getting the power you should from your amps if all you're feeding it with is a stock alt.

So how big is your capacitor?

OP: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...#ht_1067wt_754
      i have no capacitor in the system. and no voltometer. but i can drop in to the 12.8s and im running 600rms total but im going to be running about 2200-3k this coming spring.
      Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
      What makes you justify the need for an upgraded alternator?
      Are you having certain issues?

To everyone else in this thread - An upgraded alternator is going to increase the current supply, not voltage supply.
      A battery stores power, and an Alternator supplies power.

If you know how to calculate the amount of current draw vs current supply, then you can work out if you really need an upgraded alternator.
      yes the alt will give more constant voltage. while batterys store energy. and when i start playing really low long songs my voltage dips way down and my speedo starts to jump

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
      Are you basing this off of when he posted his system in the topic post or just guessing at his wattage? And a full 6 months? Wow that's a long time for a system to last...And who do you demo for lol.
      he has seen my system off another fourm and gotten ideas from my for his cb7.
      Last edited by onelivinlarge; 12-14-2010, 09:25 AM.

Comment

If your planning to upgrade then I say go for it. Didn't know you were going to put that kind of power..damn. I knew you had like 500rms if your going to upgrade I'd say get the alt and don't install until you get like the bigger audio things.

Comment

Are you basing this off of when he posted his system in the topic post or just guessing at his wattage? And a full 6 months? Wow that's a long time for a system to last...And who do you demo for lol.
          Like stated above..i know what he's running but if he is going to upgrade then go for it. I demo for like anyone currently not ATm since one of the subs is toast.

Comment

If your planning to upgrade then I say go for it. Didn't know you were going to put that kind of power..damn. I knew you had like 500rms if your going to upgrade I'd say get the alt and don't install until you get like the bigger audio things.
            yeah i forgot to tell u about that on smd im saving got a aq 2200 and a bl with 4in coil

and running that sucker down at 1 dayly or possably .5 if i can get the electrical

Comment

yeah i forgot to tell u about that on smd im saving got a aq 2200 and a bl with 4in coil

and running that sucker down at 1 dayly or possably .5 if i can get the electrical
              another 15? Should be loud as hell I'd also look into some sound deadening lol.

Comment

another 15? Should be loud as hell I'd also look into some sound deadening lol.
                yup bl 15 with 4in coil

Comment

That's damn near a short circuit. You're going to need that alt drawing that much current.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                    That's damn near a short circuit. You're going to need that alt drawing that much current.
                    some like a dc or mech 180 or 250 with a group 31 in the back and 2 runs of 1/0

Comment

Your best bet

http://mechman.com/store/product_inf...roducts_id/334

Universal "Slim fit" alternator. It shouldn't be hard to make a bracket work, and it's way cheaper than the Accord specific one. You just need to maybe modify a bracket and figure out what to do about the plug. Shouldn't be hard, it's what I'm planning on running. Or their 150 amp version is only $199.

some like a dc or mech 180 or 250 with a group 31 in the back and 2 runs of 1/0
                      250 amp alternator is not a good idea on a cb7... I spoke with I think his name is Rob from Mechman, he highly recommended NOT to run that high because the belts will slip like crazy.

Comment

I run no capacitor smart one. Don't need one have a duralast gold ontop and thats it. MY voltage never drops below 12.8v He is running like 500rms I doubt his voltage drops as low as mine he does not need this I do not really need it either been running like this for over 6 months no problems you just need to know how to set everything right.

Like stated above..i know what he's running but if he is going to upgrade then go for it. I demo for like anyone currently not ATm since one of the subs is toast.
                        Do you wonder why? It's because your RE amp needs more juice and you can't provide it so it actually puts out less power but you didn't know that you're clipping the hell out of it and poof.

BTW, OP didn't ask if he will need a high out alt. He asked where he can find one without paying the Mechman, DC, etc price.And yes, I know what I'm talking about:
                        Sig removed due to excessive size.

Comment

That juice that it will put out is like 200 to 300 watts which isnt going to be audible. If I get a good deal on an HO alt ill get one but until the one i have fails its staying.

Comment

That juice that it will put out is like 200 to 300 watts which isnt going to be audible.
                            ... huh? I dare you to say that to a 200 watt horn tweeter's face.

If I get a good deal on an HO alt ill get one but until the one i have fails its staying.
                            You mean after your alt has killed your amp, and then the alt has failed? Then you'll need to buy a new amp AND an alt.

Comment

You mean after your alt has killed your amp, and then the alt has failed? Then you'll need to buy a new amp AND an alt.
                              I hear buying new batteries is in style this time of year...
                              MRT
                              37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                              30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                              27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                              Originally posted by Tippey764
                              I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                              Originally posted by deevergote
                              sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffMisiak View Post
                                I hear buying new batteries is in style this time of year...
                                funny i not had a problem yet and its been bellow 20 degrees for 2 weeks now

Comment

Working...
                                X