Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Affordable speaker replacements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Affordable speaker replacements?

I replaced my stereo to hook up my iPod, but now I feel the OEM speakers are just not cutting it . I bought a cheap kenwood, and the specs say "maximum output power 50w x 4" Does this mean I'd only be able to get 50w out of any speakers I purchase? What are some suggestions on good speakers? I planned to get Pioneers, Polk's, or Infinities.

Never look at max power. Only look at RMS. RMS is the power at all times.

For speakers you can get whatever. You wouldnt have to worry about wattage. Just get a speaker that sounds good to you. Then look on ebay to see if it is cheaper.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by JFrost7 View Post
      I replaced my stereo to hook up my iPod, but now I feel the OEM speakers are just not cutting it . I bought a cheap kenwood, and the specs say "maximum output power 50w x 4" Does this mean I'd only be able to get 50w out of any speakers I purchase? What are some suggestions on good speakers? I planned to get Pioneers, Polk's, or Infinities.
      It means they can handle 50watts not that they put out 50 Watts they put out sound not Watts amps put out Watts.... get a amp and or speakers that can handle more power I'd start with a 4 channel amp and some components that's just me tho....
      My 90 coupe Mr thread....
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178452

Comment

There's a couple of things at play on the technical side, basically ohms law really (0.5, 1, 2, 4, 8 ohm speakers, etc.) Beyond the necessity to ensure the amplifier can drive the type of load the speaker presents, the only thing the wattage rating of the speaker really means is the physical strength of the diaphragm and cone of the speaker itself, as well as the ability for the coil to stay cool and intact.

Comment

I have been a fan of Infinities for quite some time. I have still have a pair of 6.5" references from 2001 that has been in three cars in their life and are still going strong to this day. Its what made me choose their shallow mounts for my coupe doors in 08. Also any speaker installed in the rear deck would benefit from some foam cups/baffles (with ports cut into them), as the free air nature of the factory location kills bass response.
          Last edited by cloudasc; 11-26-2012, 08:20 AM.
          PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
            There's a couple of things at play on the technical side, basically ohms law really (0.5, 1, 2, 4, 8 ohm speakers, etc.) Beyond the necessity to ensure the amplifier can drive the type of load the speaker presents, the only thing the wattage rating of the speaker really means is the physical strength of the diaphragm and cone of the speaker itself, as well as the ability for the coil to stay cool and intact.
            OK whatever the hell you're talking about, he's asking a really simple question. I'm not even sure what the fuck that had to do with anything.

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
            For speakers you can get whatever. You wouldnt have to worry about wattage. Just get a speaker that sounds good to you. Then look on ebay to see if it is cheaper.
            This pretty much. Anything you get thats somewhat name brand is going to be an upgrade to the wack ass stock speakers.

You can get a pair of door speakers and a pair of rear deck speakers pretty damn cheap these days. Brand name too.

Comment

Originally posted by HardInThePaint View Post
              OK whatever the hell you're talking about, he's asking a really simple question. I'm not even sure what the fuck that had to do with anything.
              I suppose his question was simple, but my reply was relevant. Most decks can't drive any load less than 4 ohms, or any load more than 8 ohms. I dovetailed from there into a bit about speaker power ratings and how the design (materials, physical construction, etc.) are the primary influence, and from there the coil rating follows. It doesn't make sense to use a coil that can handle high power when the speaker itself can't physically handle the force.

Anyway, yes, that's a bit technical. Pretty much any aftermarket speaker you'll find in a retail audio store is going to work well with a similar aftermarket deck. I have liked my JVC headunit, and I've had the same pair of Pioneer 3-way 6x9s for 10 years and they're still kicking strong.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it! I would have bought an amp for nothing or something along those lines. Right now I'm leaning towards 6 1/2 pioneers, they have great reviews and they are very affordable to switch out all my speakers. Although @cloudasc has me also thinking about Infinities still. From 2001 to this day, that's durability at its finest!

Comment

Never thought I'd say this...Walmart. The kicker ds 6 1/2's they are kicker over stock...no funny Walmart shit yet.

Comment

Kickers are decent. THe DS line is their lower line but for standard applications they arent bad.

In my years as an installer I came to this:

Infinity has great highs, not much mid bass

Polk is great all around and the sound is "more live"

Pioneer is a great speaker for the price

Kicker has great midbass and some highs.

Some people cant stand high pitches or just sharper tweeters. So those people go away from infinities and go with polk or kicker.

Like I said, find out what sounds good to you.
                    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

LMAO.....

lots of worthless or terrible info here....

out of the three you listed.....infinity

pioneer speakers are the punchline of the audio community

polk is even worse.....now.

look at excelon, hertz dieci, and even alpine type s speakers for radio power.....when using only radio power you need to be looking at the lower power handling speakers, but more importantly the sensitivity rating....
                      SHARPIE ACCORD HERE....
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192457

Comment

Kenwood
                        JBL
                        Infinity
                        Excelon
                        JL Audio

Hell, take sony over Pioneer.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                          Kenwood
                          JBL
                          Infinity
                          Excelon
                          JL Audio

Hell, take sony over Pioneer.
                          but you left out hertz.....have you heard them in a car? they are the only speaker on the market that are meant to play off axis.
                          SHARPIE ACCORD HERE....

Comment

Boss,
                            pyle,
                            lanzar,
                            autotek,

these are all the best brands............................................ ....to stay away from

Comment

Originally posted by lilg4mdalbc View Post
                              Boss,
                              pyle,
                              lanzar,
                              autotek,

these are all the best brands............................................ ....to stay away from
                              holy shit, at first i thought you were serious....
                              SHARPIE ACCORD HERE....

Comment

Working...
                              X