Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Hood Spacers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by H22artman View Post
    sounds like we need some wind tunnel time on our cars.

have you felt a difference cuz you have your hood vent?

Originally posted by deevergote
    .......If they seem smart, and just trying to learn, I'll offer as much help as possible. If they seem stupid and lazy, I'll do my best to piss them off so they leave and never come back... while still answering the question.

Comment

Originally posted by blackedout View Post
      yea stopped is where it will seep out. In the heat you can see the heat come out of the back of the engine bay when your stopped but i mean how long are you going to be stopped?? you are in motion more than you aren't.. do the benefits outway the costs? just ask yourself that one
      UMMM. you are stopped or moving slow during construction season in the summer in Chicago quite a bit. So for me, that would be a HUGE help. So to answer your question, YES the benefits out WEIGH the cost.

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
      The hood standoff actually doesn't do much but cause turbulence under the hood. Your engine bay is designed to have some airflow from the factory (or else the air would pass under the radiator, and not through it into the engine bay). While the car is in motion, the engine bay gets all the airflow it needs by having the air drawn out under the car. When you raise the hood, you're then creating a sort of vacuum with that small space up top, which may have ea negative effect on the intended airflow characteristics of the engine bay. You are now sucking some of that hot air back up into the bay, but due to the fairly small opening, it's not letting it all out.
      I can see what you are saying Deev, and agree to a certain extent. But, what about cowl induction hoods used on the hot rods back in the day? Isn't that the same concept as using spacers?

Comment

ok lets make our mind up is it good or no?......does it effect fuel, does it harm the engine bay?

Originally posted by deevergote
        .......If they seem smart, and just trying to learn, I'll offer as much help as possible. If they seem stupid and lazy, I'll do my best to piss them off so they leave and never come back... while still answering the question.

Comment

my mind IS made up lol. I PERSONALLY think it's good and that is MORE THAN ENOUGH reason for me to do it to my car. I don't see a downside to it.

Comment

Originally posted by MclovinRR View Post
            only if it where legal and safe lol
            I see people doin all over tallahasee. But there emo kids tryin to show off there stocker d15's and d16 w/ a aem CAI and painted valve cover. lol I saw a old guy driving a gsr w/ no hood...I wish I hade a cam it was priceless and I dont mean like 40-50 he was ATLEAST 65 ATLEAST!
            R.I.P Rex 10/10/97-08/06/09
            There aren’t enough words in this world to say how much you will be missed. love you buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by Sobeman81 View Post
              UMMM. you are stopped or moving slow during construction season in the summer in Chicago quite a bit. So for me, that would be a HUGE help. So to answer your question, YES the benefits out WEIGH the cost.

I can see what you are saying Deev, and agree to a certain extent. But, what about cowl induction hoods used on the hot rods back in the day? Isn't that the same concept as using spacers?
              Cowl induction is completely different. It's actually an induction system. Air intake. Not ventilation. Hell, many cowl systems are for looks only, and accomplish nothing at all. Especially on cars that don't have a top-mounted carb/intake setup.

Additionally, just because the hot rod guys do it doesn't mean it's the best idea. Back in the day, the hot rod and muscle car guys were no different than us. They're not engineers.

If you want to do it, do it. But it's not helping anything. Arguing this "fact" is just like telling me that the Turbonator is saving you gas. You can argue flawed concepts all you want. It doesn't change the reality that it won't do a thing.

As for wind tunnel testing... what the hell would that prove? That the raised hood is more aerodynamic? The car is not running in a wind tunnel, and the engine is certainly not under load.

Comment

Who cares what the temp under the hood is. What matters are the temps your engine is getting in. I highly doubt there is any significant difference, especially when cruising. At a stand still I'm sure the hot air will escape with the hood opened like that, but that's it.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Your rubber and plastic components, such as wire sheathing, care about underhood temps...

Comment

fuck the wire sheathing.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

I'm not installing spacers on my hood, I am however going to start throwing cookie dough in aluminum foil under the hood on track day. My car will smell great and I'll have a delicious snack after I run! lol

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                        Who cares what the temp under the hood is. What matters are the temps your engine is getting in. I highly doubt there is any significant difference, especially when cruising. At a stand still I'm sure the hot air will escape with the hood opened like that, but that's it.
                        x2 I would be more worried about the air that is coming into the intake. Correct me if Im wrong but while driving if the air IF hot air isnt excaping like it should your are at a loss of power dew to the hotter intake charge.
                        Last edited by flcb7; 10-09-2008, 10:12 AM.
                        There aren’t enough words in this world to say how much you will be missed. love you buddy!

Comment

well i have these, but i doubt they do shit for temps.

especially with that giant black piece where the wipers go...feel under there, it is still touching the hood.

just admit its for looks guy

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by slammed4thgen View Post
                            just admit its for looks guy
                            damn it jake. i DID wanna just look cool as you. . oh well i'm just gonna wire solenoid poppers to the rear of the hood, hit a button in stopped traffic and watch my engine bay temp go down. Then pop it back down when im rolling. I'll be the coolest kid ever, like the only kid on the block with a playing card stuck in between the spokes of my bicycle wheel.

Comment

I posted in the other thread I'll post here

1. engine bay and outside temps equalize at 10-15 mpgs
                              2. this does nothing while sitting still
                              3. 10 degrees cooler is not significant and I doubt that either way
                              4. you will most likely increase wind resistance by doing this
                              5. hondas are damn efficient as is

this mod is pointless...do what you want to your car, but this IS pointless
                              ____

Comment

just get a thermostat that is suck open...cool your motor off more then cracking your hood open will. and yes it dose look ***. Makes it look like your car is broken IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X